2023 Concerts

T&C

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I was worried that Red Hot Chili Peppers were going to be showing their age in a big way.  They're still great.  No signs that they're slowing down.  Awesome show.

I am looking to add Beck and Phoenix to the 2023 concert lineup this August.  I hate Sunday night shows.

So great that you got to see RHCP with Frusciante!  Glad it was a great show. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I was worried that Red Hot Chili Peppers were going to be showing their age in a big way.  They're still great.  No signs that they're slowing down.  Awesome show.

I am looking to add Beck and Phoenix to the 2023 concert lineup this August.  I hate Sunday night shows.

muppy is envious and happy for you and the plus one.  Cheers mate. Live that life yo.  Adelante! 💃 You attend as many live shows as anyone I know/ read about.

For me Im thinking "Yeah there's always youtube mup"   Shows are so expensive they've priced me out. I'm saving my pennies for Orchard Park, and a visit to meet my  newborn Granddaughter this fall in the Catskills 💞

These legendary artists will stop touring eventually.  It's great that you are able to go. Carpe Diem 🙂

Starting to look like a busy concert season for my wife and I.

Railroad Earth/Yonder Mountain String Band/Leftover Salmon in June.
Dead and Company five times in July.
Pearl Jam twice in September.
Billy Strings twice in September.

I always think I'm done spending so much disposable income on attending concerts and that I'll go travel instead. And then concert season rolls around and, sure enough, I'm driving/flying all over the country to see live music. 

On 5/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, Gugny said:

I am surprised and even a little saddened that Owner of a Lonely Heart made the set list, let alone as the encore. 

On 5/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

But look at that set list. Pretty deep otherwise.

I agree with both of you, great setlist minus the encore. I would have been fine with it...would have started to make my way to the exit during the encore. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

Starting to look like a busy concert season for my wife and I.

Railroad Earth/Yonder Mountain String Band/Leftover Salmon in June.
Dead and Company five times in July.
Pearl Jam twice in September.
Billy Strings twice in September.

I always think I'm done spending so much disposable income on attending concerts and that I'll go travel instead. And then concert season rolls around and, sure enough, I'm driving/flying all over the country to see live music. 

haha well it would appear that you are giving Jauronimo  a run for his money for who attends  the most shows race. You know what you like Clearly 😊

awesome  mate Bravo. Enjoy!!

• Like (+1) 1

Hangin’ at the Rooster Walk music fest this weekend. https://roosterwalk.com primarily because the spouse is running her food trailer  here. A relatively mellow festival. Bands include Kitchen Dwellers. St Paul & the Broken Bones, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Yarn, Marshall Tucker Band, and a relatively new band that I thought kicked butt, Wilson Springs Hotel. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just saw two nights of Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD) at Red Rocks. The first night closed with "I Know You Rider." During the song, JRAD was joined on stage by Katy Jacobi. She’s a classical violinist who’s been touring with The Who for their symphony orchestra gigs; we saw her with them twice in 2019. She played a killer solo during IKYR, and they ended the song with the violin solo from The Who’s “Baba O’Riley.” Very cool! Unfortunately, it rained during much of the second set, but it was still a good show. Looked like it sold out, too.

The second night was even better, both in terms of setlist (more rockers, fewer slow ballads) and the weather. Also, the place was only half full. Someone said attendance was low because the Denver Nuggets were playing that night. Worked out great for us - we found seats about midway up, right in the center, with plenty of space around us to dance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Saw the Les Claypool show last night. He performed the entire Floyd Animals album during the set. Sean Lennon and Harry Waters (Roger’s son) are in his band. But what made the concert excellent was the opening band of Belew & Harrison performing Talking Heads material, primarily from Remain in Light. Turquaz was their backing band which makes an 11 member band.

They are together only on some of Claypool’s gigs but highly recommend if both are part of the bill in your area. Belew is an outstanding guitarist.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not sure if anyone’s got tickets to see John Mellencamp, but he just abruptly canceled his show in Albany that was scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday, June 13). I didn’t have tickets, but I considered it. 

https://q1057.com/john-mellencamp-cancels-upstate-new-york-show-heres-how-to-get-a-refund/

“Mellencamp just played 3 shows at the Beacon Theatre in Manhattan (June 5th, 6th and 7th) and he is scheduled to play Syracuse June 14th and Buffalo on June 16th. No word on the status of the Syracuse or Buffalo show at this time.”

12 hours ago, boyst said:

Has anyone seen tears for fears in their tipping point to tour?  I am considering a way to go see it

or the cure tour going on?

I really want to find a way to go see that one

We have tickets to see Tears for Fears in Saratoga, early July. 

I haven’t read any reviews. Really looking forward to it. 

We saw two nights of Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD) at Red Rocks last week. Night one, near the end of the second set, the band broke into the Grateful Dead staple “I Know You Rider.” During the song, the band was joined on stage by Katie Jacoby. She’s a classical violinist who’s been touring with The Who for their symphony orchestra gigs – a tour we saw twice in 2019. She played a killer solo during IKYR, and they ended the song with the violin solo from The Who’s “Baba O’Riley.” Very cool!

Night two was even better. What looked to be a very wet evening (based on early forecasts) turned into a nice night without a single raindrop. Heck, the clouds even opened up and showed a few stars by the end of the show! And what a show! The venue was only about half full. The Nuggets were playing that night, which may have contributed to the low turnout. Worked out great for us, as we found nice seats about halfway up, right in the center – great sound and plenty of room to dance. And they put on an outstanding show! The previous night’s setlist had about a 60/40 rocker-to-ballad ratio, while night two was more like 80/20. The show started at 6:30 this time, which almost bit us in the @$$, as I hadn't noticed it on the ticket. I just assumed it would start at 7:30 like the Saturday show. Good thing we went in early to find good seats. As we approached the venue around 6:40, we began to hear what we thought was a soundcheck - a jazzy, blues jam. Once we got inside, the jam evolved into "Truckin'" and we realized the show had started. They played a lot of my favorites, including "Eyes of the World," "Shakedown Street," "New Speedway Boogie," "Me and My Uncle," "Deal," "Bertha," and "Sugar Magnolia." They even busted out Pink Floyd's "Hey You."

Edited by WhoTom
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/20/2023 at 3:21 PM, Pecos Bills said:

Goose had a great live album from a 2019 concert at Nietzsche's, and will be back at the Borderland Festival in East Aurora on September 15, also my neck of the woods in June.  Awesome jam band.

Saw Goose in March at the Capital Theatre in Port Chester ...son wanted to go. Had a blast, fantastic show..and i guess that Theatre is the mecca for jam bands as they did 5 nights there. Highly recommend.

Just saw Disco Biscuits on Friday here at the National in Richmond..very similar vibes, another great show.

Last week saw Modern English at the Atlantis...for those who hung out in DC mid 80's -mid 90's, this is the replica of the Original 9:30 Club, right next to the new 9:30. To celebrate, they are having 44 shows from people who played in the original 9:30, all for $44..no resales allowed. 400 person venue. Freeaking Foo Fighters opened the place up. Even got the same pole off to the left side of the stage! Great rooftop bar with excellent callbacks to when DC was a might grittier!

BTW, also saw the Fighting Jamesons and the Leg Warmers at the National this Spring. Leg Warmers travel the mid Atlantic and great 80's cover band. People get all dressed up in their 80s stuff, tons of fun if you are a fan of 80s music.

Have Psychedelic Furs and Squeeze coming up in September to here in Richmond

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

We have tickets to see Tears for Fears in Saratoga, early July. 

I haven’t read any reviews. Really looking forward to it. 

Let me know how it is!  They're in Raleigh the day we start a family vacation so I'll be passing through. 

On 6/8/2023 at 4:07 PM, Pecos Bills said:

Manchester Orchestra is playing in the "Outer Harbor Concert Series" on August 25, along with Jimmy Eat World.

https://buffalowaterfront.com/events/jimmy-eat-world-manchester-orchestra

They ...do come here to Asheville and CLT. I may end up going. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, boyst said:

Has anyone seen tears for fears in their tipping point to tour?  I am considering a way to go see it

or the cure tour going on?

I really want to find a way to go see that one

I'll be seeing The Cure next week in NYC/MSG.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:02 AM, WhoTom said:

We saw two nights of Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD) at Red Rocks last week. Night one, near the end of the second set, the band broke into the Grateful Dead staple “I Know You Rider.” During the song, the band was joined on stage by Katie Jacoby. She’s a classical violinist who’s been touring with The Who for their symphony orchestra gigs – a tour we saw twice in 2019. She played a killer solo during IKYR, and they ended the song with the violin solo from The Who’s “Baba O’Riley.” Very cool!

Night two was even better. What looked to be a very wet evening (based on early forecasts) turned into a nice night without a single raindrop. Heck, the clouds even opened up and showed a few stars by the end of the show! And what a show! The venue was only about half full. The Nuggets were playing that night, which may have contributed to the low turnout. Worked out great for us, as we found nice seats about halfway up, right in the center – great sound and plenty of room to dance. And they put on an outstanding show! The previous night’s setlist had about a 60/40 rocker-to-ballad ratio, while night two was more like 80/20. The show started at 6:30 this time, which almost bit us in the @$$, as I hadn't noticed it on the ticket. I just assumed it would start at 7:30 like the Saturday show. Good thing we went in early to find good seats. As we approached the venue around 6:40, we began to hear what we thought was a soundcheck - a jazzy, blues jam. Once we got inside, the jam evolved into "Truckin'" and we realized the show had started. They played a lot of my favorites, including "Eyes of the World," "Shakedown Street," "New Speedway Boogie," "Me and My Uncle," "Deal," "Bertha," and "Sugar Magnolia." They even busted out Pink Floyd's "Hey You."

JRAD is really a killer band.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens, if anything, if this is truly D&C's final tour.  I would enjoy some sort of meshing of the 2 bands to keep the Dead name moving forward. 

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

JRAD is really a killer band.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens, if anything, if this is truly D&C's final tour.  I would enjoy some sort of meshing of the 2 bands to keep the Dead name moving forward. 

I'm happy with JRAD and DSO carrying on the music - JRAD for their own spin on it and DSO for a more authentic Dead show experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Caught these guys in DC a few weeks ago, here's Locomotive and Albatross from that show . I've been to hundreds of concerts in my day but this was top ten. Just amazing musicians. 

Big Wreck is the best rock band you've never heard of, and far superior to many that you already know. The YouTube rabbit hole is deep if you dare. Criminally underrated. 

On 6/12/2023 at 8:56 AM, Gugny said:

Not sure if anyone’s got tickets to see John Mellencamp, but he just abruptly canceled his show in Albany that was scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday, June 13). I didn’t have tickets, but I considered it. 

https://q1057.com/john-mellencamp-cancels-upstate-new-york-show-heres-how-to-get-a-refund/

“Mellencamp just played 3 shows at the Beacon Theatre in Manhattan (June 5th, 6th and 7th) and he is scheduled to play Syracuse June 14th and Buffalo on June 16th. No word on the status of the Syracuse or Buffalo show at this time.”

I had front row center for the Kinks and he was the opener back when he was Johnny Cougar. After his set, he came to the barrier and gave everyone handshakes and handslaps . Luckily, I had enough time before the Kinks started to run to the bathroom and wash my hands. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:48 AM, TheCockSportif said:

Wife just got tickets for QOTSA (Queens of the Stone Age).  Have seen them a number of times.  Always a great show, none of that moshing nonsense (too old for that, says Danny Glover), just jumping up and down, dancing, and an overall friendly fanbase.

Nice.  I really want to see Queens again but this tour has no Texas dates.  Closest stop is OKC and September dates are challenging.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Nice.  I really want to see Queens again but this tour has no Texas dates.  Closest stop is OKC and September dates are challenging.  

New album dropped a few days ago. I haven’t sampled any of it yet. 

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm still working my way through it but my early favorite is Paper Machete.

Absolutely.  The first half of the record, minus "Paper Machete" isn't great (to my ears).  The second half it picks up, like a LOT.  QOTSA didn't phone this one in, but after years of divorce drama and so on, the absence of making music kinda shows on this record.

Full disclosure: I have my career in tech, but I still play (music) and I also mix a LOT of tunes for myself and other people.  A bad mix, which is prevalent here, perks my ears up, but in a bad way.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.