2023 Concerts

T&C

7 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Seeing this show in RVA, June 6. Nice double bill with Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew performing Remain in Light tour. In Buf, it’s Neal Francis.

I stumbled across @May Day 10's post this morning. They're playing at a quirky venue near me June 24, I'll be there. Looks like Neal Francis is the opener, not familiar with him, would have preferred Belew

EDIT: it'll be full-on quirky. Theater in the round with a rotatlng stage.  Sometimes performances are half-round, no rotate, but not this one. Overall I'm not a fan of the rotating stage, it can have it's moments but mostly it's weird.

Edited by SinceThe70s

3 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Seeing this show in RVA, June 6. Nice double bill with Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew performing Remain in Light tour. In Buf, it’s Neal Francis.

We're getting the Harrison/Belew show locally (Albany), but it's not with Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, otherwise, I'd go.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

We're getting the Harrison/Belew show locally (Albany), but it's not with Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, otherwise, I'd go.

Hmm... I'd love to see Belew and Harrison regardless, surprised you are opting out.

49 minutes ago, T&C said:

Hmm... I'd love to see Belew and Harrison regardless, surprised you are opting out.

As I'm sure you know, this isn't like the 80s when every concert was affordable and we could go see everyone we wanted to.  Unfortunately, I'm passing on A LOT of shows because I need to be more selective due to the ridiculous prices.  This is just one of those shows.  It's a real drag.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/7/2023 at 9:31 PM, Gugny said:

As I'm sure you know, this isn't like the 80s when every concert was affordable and we could go see everyone we wanted to.  Unfortunately, I'm passing on A LOT of shows because I need to be more selective due to the ridiculous prices.  This is just one of those shows.  It's a real drag.

Yeah... some of these prices are ridiculous... like this one. Only 8 miles away but no way am I shelling out that much. Great band but no.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0D005D8FD733EB2D?CAMEFROM=CFC_TAMPA_HARDROCK_SOCIAL_FACEBOOK_CHEAPTRICK

On 2/7/2023 at 4:21 PM, WhoTom said:

Just scored tickets to JRAD at Red Rocks, June 3rd and 4th.

One of my absolute favorite (and most original) presentations of Grateful Dead music happening today.

Russo may also be one of the best drummers on the planet.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm waiting for Bruce Springsteen tickets to come down. He's playing here in two weeks. Re-sale market has tix at about $175 a piece right now, but there are A TON available. It's a staredown between scalpers and buyers. Who will blink first?

If I can get in the door for $100 total, I'll probably do it. I'm not like a HUGE Springsteen fan, but he's firmly in the "gotta see him once before he stops touring" camp for me, just as Elton John, Paul McCartney, and Paul Simon were (all of whom I saw in the past few years).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

Yeah... some of these prices are ridiculous... like this one. Only 8 miles away but no way am I shelling out that much. Great band but no.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0D005D8FD733EB2D?CAMEFROM=CFC_TAMPA_HARDROCK_SOCIAL_FACEBOOK_CHEAPTRICK

Yeah, that is friggin' nuts.

I saw Cheap Trick last summer when they opened up for Rod Stewart.  I was pleasantly surprised at how great they sounded; particularly Robin Zander's voice.  They were great.  We had lawn seats, so it wasn't that expensive - they (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) had a special through which we got tickets for $25/each.  

I hate to sound like the old guy yelling at clouds, but back in the 80s and even into the early 90s, lawn seats were a standard price of $9 for all of their concerts.

Now, the normal lawn seat goes for at least $50 which I refuse to pay.

Cheap Trick was great ... but not $200 great.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

One of my absolute favorite (and most original) presentations of Grateful Dead music happening today.

Russo may also be one of the best drummers on the planet.

Our go to in the Tampa area... Skippers every Thursday night, very solid and if you close you eyes it sounds just like the Dead. Great venue as well, it's outside.

https://skipperssmokehouse.com/

https://unclejohnsband.com/

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

Our go to in the Tampa area... Skippers every Thursday night, very solid and if you close you eyes it sounds just like the Dead. Great venue as well, it's outside.

https://skipperssmokehouse.com/

https://unclejohnsband.com/

Edit: not every Thursday night... been a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, that is friggin' nuts.

I saw Cheap Trick last summer when they opened up for Rod Stewart.  I was pleasantly surprised at how great they sounded; particularly Robin Zander's voice.  They were great.  We had lawn seats, so it wasn't that expensive - they (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) had a special through which we got tickets for $25/each.  

I hate to sound like the old guy yelling at clouds, but back in the 80s and even into the early 90s, lawn seats were a standard price of $9 for all of their concerts.

Now, the normal lawn seat goes for at least $50 which I refuse to pay.

Cheap Trick was great ... but not $200 great.

Like this one... love the Who but just to see Roger?

https://secure.rutheckerdhall.com/27970/28243?_ga=2.268507703.739241278.1676068311-1237436827.1674253802&queueittoken=e_saftynetqueue2021v3~q_2fdbde03-eb09-4c67-bacf-b25eb8fab9dd~ts_1676068518~ce_true~rt_safetynet~h_2be32d28fca605aee75513dfb9be6ed371ef0823bdffa5d023c1c4d213581b0e

Edited by T&C

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

I don’t know … small venue, so the $68 seats might be well worth it to a Who/Roger fan. 

This brings up another topic that kinda frosts my ass: it seems that anyone can book an arena tour these days. 

In another thread, I mentioned that the Goo Goo Dolls are on an arena tour. Are you kidding me?

I’ve already made up my mind that my arena concert days are over. Last arena show I went to was Foo Fighters at MSG in 2021. I had a great time, but I spent most of the night watching a screen. Never again … not for today’s prices. 

It was nice when bands would be post-prime and book gigs at 3,000 seat venues. 

I hope those days come back. 

On 2/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Gugny said:

I don’t know … small venue, so the $68 seats might be well worth it to a Who/Roger fan. 

This brings up another topic that kinda frosts my ass: it seems that anyone can book an arena tour these days. 

In another thread, I mentioned that the Goo Goo Dolls are on an arena tour. Are you kidding me?

I’ve already made up my mind that my arena concert days are over. Last arena show I went to was Foo Fighters at MSG in 2021. I had a great time, but I spent most of the night watching a screen. Never again … not for today’s prices. 

It was nice when bands would be post-prime and book gigs at 3,000 seat venues. 

I hope those days come back. 

@T&C - Lo and behold, I recently got notifications for both Styx and John Mellencamp playing (not together) at the Palace Theatre in Albany, which is my favorite venue of all time.  Just under 3K seats; great acoustics; fantastic atmosphere.  I hope this trend continues.

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

@T&C - Lo and behold, I recently got notifications for both Styx and John Mellencamp playing (not together) at the Palace Theatre in Albany, which is my favorite venue of all time.  Just under 3K seats; great acoustics; fantastic atmosphere.  I hope this trend continues.

That's pretty cool. I don't think I'd see Styx or Mellencamp though... never really liked either's music but Styx back in the day had a few good tunes. Still, just the atmosphere, like you said... makes up for a lot.

Did you hear what happened at the Daltrey concert in Clearwater? Rodge wasn't hearing right and lost his voice... aborted the show at around the 1 hour mark. Bet he felt horrible but he did the right thing. 

1 hour ago, T&C said:

That's pretty cool. I don't think I'd see Styx or Mellencamp though... never really liked either's music but Styx back in the day had a few good tunes. Still, just the atmosphere, like you said... makes up for a lot.

We saw Styx with REO and Don Felder (Eagles) a few years ago.  Styx was the middle act, REO was the closer.  They should have switched it, Styx put on such a great show, compared to REO.  

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.