Tipped Balls are becoming an issue-thoughts as to why??

Big Turk

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

This. If the defense is taking away the deep pass, which is what all seem to be moving to against good QBs, then they expect a quick pass. That means the DL knows they can’t get to the QB and is instead is looking to bat down that quick pass. When those DL get two hands up and expose their bodies, you want to see the OL make them pay for it though.

This

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Taller D-linemen?

How would this make sense when the same DLinemen play against other teams and many of them have QBs shorter than Allen? After Allen and Mayfield, the next closest player has 8 batted balls.

Edited by Big Turk

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Didn’t they always say tipped balls mean the OL is allowing DLs to get too close to the QB? I think I heard that a lot during the Flutie years. 

This could be a factor.

This sounds like something that could be measured, in the same way that separation of WR from defenders is measured. 

Anyone know if it is?

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I believe so...should be in the advanced passing metrics in the game log

I had a good 'ol look for it there and didn't see it.

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Jmo-  more teams are focusing on containing Josh rather than just getting to him.  While playing contain and focusing on staying in their lanes.it’s easier for DLmen to time their jumps and deflect the passes. 

I believe the league is up in numbers on blocked passes as a whole. I remember someone saying that last week

I also think this year josh is throwing it at different angles and lower trajectory that cause this. 

Last thought, the Offensive line needs to do better at keeping their hands busy. I think this issue improves as the year goes on.

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Jmo-  more teams are focusing on containing Josh rather than just getting to him.  While playing contain and focusing on staying in their lanes.it’s easier for DLmen to time their jumps and deflect the passes. 

This, plus Allen is taking short passes and check downs more often this year, which requires the ball to be released on a lower trajectory.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Film study.

Defense's have been giving him looks to encourage shorter throws and funnel the ball in a predictable direction..........the DL anticipates this........and in some cases Allen has really been staring down receivers.     I mentioned this after the Miami game.    It's a defensive adjustment.   Not random.

The past couple weeks they have really started pushing the ball downfield and that is really the way to use Josh Allen.   He can play the dink and dunk but that allows defenses to negate some of his greatness.   They need to always have an ABUNDANCE of receiving personnel to do this.   They are too thin there at the moment.  

I didn't look at the numbers, but my impression watching other teams has been that there generally are more balls being tipped at the line.  It's becoming a trend, I think.  

I also think that's why we're seeing the QBs developing their side-arm deliveries.  More defenders are getting their hands up, for the reasons others have stated, and QBs know that they're losing completions on throws that should be easy to complete.   So, the QBs are paying more attention to where the d line is where the throwing lanes are between the d line.  Sometimes, to get the ball into a lane and on the right trajectory, they drop down to side-arm. 

Allen has begun doing it this season.  Historically, we've said that tall QBs have an advantage because they can see downfield better, and they also had the advantage of throwing over more guys.   But with the d linemen (who are pretty tall themselves) getting their hands up more often, even tall QBs find some of their passes are getting knocked down.  The fact that Allen has been doing some side-arm deliveries tells us that he's aware of the problem and adjusting.  

In some ways, I think the trend toward more balls being knocked down at the line of scrimmage tends to help the better QBs.   When a d lineman raises his arm, he becomes easier to block.  It allows the o lineman a bit of time to recover and to push his man off the path to the QB.   That means that the pocket will stay clean longer, and the Bradys, Peytons, and Breeses made whole careers playing out of clean pockets.  It also tends to open up running lanes for mobile QBs, and for running backs on draws.

It's all an ongoing evolution of techniques and routes and play-calling, and it's that complexity to allows the master QBs to thrive.  Josh has demonstrated already that he's a master at running his offense, and he will continue to get better.  It's batted balls this season, it'll be something else next season.    Josh will just continue to adapt, and the problem the defenses will have is that he not only has the brains to adapt, he has the physical skills to do whatever it takes.  

Now, I'll go way over the top, but it's not crazy.   Recall in your mind an image of Peyton in his heyday, absolutely dominating knowing what to do, all the time.  Recall Brady in his heyday - same thing.  Rodgers, too.  Well, Mahomes and Allen already are showing that kind of mental mastery of the game - they maybe haven't ascended fully to the level that those other guys have reached, but they already are doing it at a very high level.   Allen is better physically than all of them.  Rodgers at his best is the only guy who's close - excellent arm, great running ability, good escapability.   But Allen is better - better arm, breaks more tackles.   Peyton had a great arm and great accuracy, but he was immobile.  (So immobile, in fact, that he might have difficulty playing in this NFL - he would really have problems with batted balls.)  Brady couldn't hold a candle to Allen physically.   

Allen has a real shot at being the GOAT.   He may never put up the career stats of the others - that will depend on how the league evolves and whether passing once again becomes more difficult, but he could be the most dominant player at his position, ever.  When he was coming out of the draft, there were lots of questions about him, but everyone agreed that he had a high ceiling, really high.   He's way up there already, and he still isn't close to hitting his head. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I believe the league is up in numbers on blocked passes as a whole. I remember someone saying that last week

I also think this year josh is throwing it at different angles and lower trajectory that cause this. 

Last thought, the Offensive line needs to do better at keeping their hands busy. I think this issue improves as the year goes on.

I’d bet that one of the reasons deflections are up is more teams are looking to contain all of these mobile QBs.  

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Nobody other than Allen and Mayfield has more than 9(Herbert who led the NFL last year), most have 4-6...

Mariota, Goff and Brady who have started all of their teams games(17 starts as Goff was on a bye this week) have a combined 1 batted ball between them on 570 attempts.

image.thumb.png.66902799fccf600baec2ab00a8a0eebe.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.