Yahoo QB Rankings after 5 Weeks, because why not

Ralonzo

It occurs to me I don't LAMP enough. SO, from the morning email blast:

image.png.9e9ea1895ccc26cafcecbe3c456bc08e.png

BY JAY HART

Five weeks into the NFL season and quarterback play has been, well, all over the map. We've had good quarterbacks be good, good quarterbacks be bad and bad quarterbacks be good.

‌We've had castoffs light it up, high-priced veterans stink it up and a quarterback controversy (not really, until Dak throws his next INT) emerge in Dallas. 

So what are we to do? Rank 'em, of course. (And then you email us and tell out how wrong we are. That's how it works).

Let's have at it ...

MVP candidates

1. Josh Allen: Only one thing left to bring to Buffalo.

2. Patrick Mahomes: Consistently amazing.

3. Jalen Hurts: So good, even Eagles fans like him. 

Elite-ish

4. Lamar Jackson: Playing his way into a monster payday.

5. Tua Tagovailoa: Most unfortunate injury in the league so far this year.

6. Justin Herbert: The Chargers will screw this up somehow.

7. Tom Brady: Playing through just a few distractions

8. Aaron Rodgers: It’s clear he misses Davante Adams …

Really?

9. Geno Smith: Playing better than Russ.

10. Jared Goff: Playing better than Stafford.

11. Jimmy Garoppolo: Playing better than Trey.

12. Cooper Rush: Playing better than Dak.

Underperforming

13. Kirk Cousins: He's been OK, but he does have the Vikings at 4-1.

14. Joe Burrow: He’ll right the ship in Cincy, right?

15. Kyler Murray: There may have been a reason for that study clause.

16. Matthew Stafford: Is he hurting, getting old, or just no time to throw?

Good and bad

17. Trevor Lawrence: When he’s good, he’s good … but there’s too much bad.

18. Ryan Tannehill: Titans fans can’t wait for Malik Willis.

19. Derek Carr: … and other than last night, it’s clear Davante Adams misses Aaron Rodgers.

20. Russell Wilson: Is this what’s left of Russ?

21. Jacoby Brissett: Holding his own until Deshaun Watson returns.

22. Daniel Jones: Brian Daboll is making lemonade out of lemons.

Kissing your cousin

23. Carson Wentz: Numbers aren’t terrible, just makes terrible decisions at the wrong times.

24. Davis Mills: Nope, not it in Houston.

25. Zach Wilson: Still a huge question mark.

26. Marcus Mariota: The only thing keeping Atlanta from going to Desmond Ridder is the Falcons’ tiny window of hope.

27. Jameis Winston: Same as he ever was.

Bad

28. Matt Ryan: Got old real quick.

29. Mac Jones: What the hell happened?

30. Kenny Pickett: No clue yet, but gotta be better than Trubisky.

Really Bad

31. Justin Fields: OK, he wasn’t gawd awful Sunday, but that’s a pretty low bar.

32. Baker Mayfield: Hurting his ankle may have saved him from being benched.

Josh: You are correct, sir.

Tua: Seems an ideal "Good & Bad" candidate this year. As in, good for one quarter and one nice throw against the Bills, and a bad headache ever since. 

Zach: Shouldn't that be "Kissing Your Mom"?

Mac: We know.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hurts being considered an elite QB blows my mind. He has 4 passing TDs, all of which came in 2 games. He has 6 rushing TDs but only averages 3.9 YPC.

I don’t get it.

I think the Eagles are good but like Bills good in 2019.  We were 9-3 at one point.  But not serious contenders yet....except the NFC is weak.

If its the Bills and Eagles Super Bowl....I would be very, very confident in the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the Eagles are good but like Bills good in 2019.  We were 9-3 at one point.  But not serious contenders yet....except the NFC is weak.

If its the Bills and Eagles Super Bowl....I would be very, very confident in the Bills.  

The Eagles are good but I still don’t think it’s because Hurts is an elite QB for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I can't even remember why Baker was a #1 pick. He had a very good college career in a QB-friendly system, but what did the scouts think he did so well? Was his comp Russell Wilson?  Even as a rookie, I thought, "What skills are intriguing?" 

The book was plus arm, good decision maker, accurate, big-time production in a legit conference. Possibly a bit prickly personality-wise.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I can't even remember why Baker was a #1 pick. He had a very good college career in a QB-friendly system, but what did the scouts think he did so well? Was his comp Russell Wilson?  Even as a rookie, I thought, "What skills are intriguing?" 

He was a hard guy to bet against being a walk-on and winning a hesiman. He also had this never say die attitude and he has a very strong arm. I was surprised he went number one, but I could see why someone would be infatuated with him

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Hurts being considered an elite QB blows my mind. He has 4 passing TDs, all of which came in 2 games. He has 6 rushing TDs but only averages 3.9 YPC.

I don’t get it.

He's got 10 total TDs and is averaging 271.6/ypg as a passer.  He's playing really well.  I agree he's not elite yet and he hasn't faced the stiffest competition, but he deserves credit.  He's evolving into a real passing QB and he has his team at 5-0.  

There are two elite QBs - Josh and Mahomes.  The rest are quite a distance behind them, especially as Rodgers and Brady are clearly declining and Others aren’t quite close. Herbert has the tools and numbers but he doesn’t quite have the intangibles.  You ask any GM in the league anonymously and there are only two legit choices and everyone knows it.  5 games on the front end of the season is still very early so we’ll see how this list looks by week 17. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Since it's a Yahoo thread, here's Monday's blast:

The Buffalo battle station is fully armed and operational

BY JAY BUSBEE

There's a strange, unconscious hold bias that sports fans have toward teams which are particularly good, or particularly bad. If you're of a certain age, there's a small part of you that will believe the Pittsburgh Steelers are the toughest team of all time, simply because they were exactly that for a period in the 1970s.

The Dallas Cowboys exploited this strategy perfectly by putting together two mini-dynasties in the 1970s and 1990s, thus establishing themselves as a worldbeating team in the memories of two generations, the baby boomers and Gen X. Millennial football fans will be fearful of the New England Patriots for decades to come, long after Bill Belichick hangs up his hoodie. (Gen Z has the attention span of a hummingbird and the recall of a goldfish;  the idea of "memory" isn't really on their radar.) 

Now, consider the Buffalo Bills. For most football fans over the age of 40, the Bills are synonymous with spectacular face-plants on the biggest of stages. Four straight Super Bowl losses — and then an utter meltdown with 13 seconds remaining in a more recent playoff game — will do that to your legacy. No one's going to believe you can close the deal until you actually close the deal. 

Time to let those old biases go. The Buffalo Bills are a damn good football team, more than capable of winning it all. We knew this coming into the season, and they proved it once again in the first 51 seconds of Sunday's game against Pittsburgh.

Before most fans had even found their seats, Josh Allen hit Gabe Davis for a cinematic 98-yard touchdown. The two connected again for a magnificent 62-yard, one-handed grab the next quarter. For about three quarters, Allen was on pace to beat the NFL record for passing yardage. (He ended with 424 yards and four touchdowns.) 

After five games, Buffalo ranks first in passing yards and total yards, and second only to Kansas City in points per game. The Bills lost a quirky one to Miami a couple weeks back, which doesn't help them in the divisional race but took that annoying "can they go undefeated?" trope off the table early. This is a team that's built to blow right past all assumptions. The question now is, can they capitalize on their promise? 

Yes, Allen was two years away from being born when Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and the rest of the Bills lost the last of those four Super Bowls. But Buffalo has more recent scar tissue, too, suffered last year by ending up on the losing side of one of the greatest playoff games in NFL history. 

They'll hear about that plenty over the next week, as they're slated to face Kansas City again for the first time since that epic, where they lost when they gave Patrick Mahomes 13 whole seconds to work his mojo. Kansas City has ended Buffalo's last two seasons, and until Buffalo is able to get past Mahomes & Co., all these gaudy numbers won't mean anything.

We're still a long way from the postseason, but Buffalo is working up some serious momentum. This might just be the year that the Bills at last become famous for something more than just ... you know. 

12 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

What I see the Scouts missed is that Baker is not a good athlete. 

When he tries to run, avoid pressure, or extend the play, he looks so small and slow.

He trips over his own feet, lacks coordination. 

So what they saw was accuracy and arm strength at a high-level DI school. 

1. Mahomes - It kills me a bit, but his vision is hard to beat. Like Brady, he just sees the path to winning the game, and a characteristic is his offenses just heat up and they can score on 3-5 straight drives. 

2. Allen, the best all-around playmaker in the league. Best combination of size, arm, competitive fire, coordination, extending the play, running, big plays.  

3. Brady, I still wouldn't want to play him in a critical game. He still can thrown down the field, and when his weapons are hurt, he just relentlessly finds checkdowns and eats the clock. 

4. Herbert - Consistent. He's the same 300 yard - 2.5 Touchdowns per game QB every game. His Charger teams don't seem to be able to put other teams away though. They struggle to close. 

5. Does Lamar go here? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.