Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

Christian McCaffrey was a bed-wetter into 4th grade. 

(Is that the kind of rumor we are looking for?) 

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

I'll say this. I'm not sure we need him but I don't want him going to Miami or KC

See? Now all of a sudden he is worth 3 first round picks to me! That’s how that works…..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As far as what teams will use in negotiations in Free Agency. He certainly isnt going to get the ridiculous $12M/yr that Carolina was dumb enough to sign him to. Doesnt mean he cant play at all, or isnt good. It's just the market.

Can we agree there is quite a gap between "he isn't going to get 3 more years at $12M/yr like his current contract" and "And an aging, injured RB is not making more than $5M on the open market. He becomes real cheap, actually."

I think it's a valid point that if you refer to a player as "an aging injured RB", he does not appear valuable as a trade target

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But the $12M salary is irrelevant. His potential salary is $0 with no guaranteed money remaining. There is no reason to base anything off $12M. It's easier to simply start from scratch.

Pretend his contract is up after this year. That is the reality that everyone is facing.

Just start fresh and offer him 3/$15M with $10M guaranteed.

Sure we both end up in about the same place, but the way we get there is different. Forget what the current contract says and reset by his actual value.

Well, they could tear it up and give him a new contact for sure if he agrees to that. The re-structure is just one of the options. But if you look at recent RB contracts 12/yr is right around where his value is. 

But the 3yr, $36 million contract does exist in the sense that CMC has that to negotiate off of.  And he's likely not getting cut during the season so he is also likely to earn the $12 million so I think you have to guarantee him AT LEAST $12 million in year 1 in terms of bonuses and salary. And he is definitely getting that or more in FA IMO.

If I'm the Bills, I'd be willing to pay extra in draft picks if CAR would take on some of his salary to make the money work.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

Well, they could tear it up and give him a new contact for sure if he agrees to that. The re-structure is just one of the options. But if you look at recent RB contracts 12/yr is right around where his value is. 

But the 3yr, $36 million contract does exist in the sense that CMC has that to negotiate off of.  And he's likely not getting cut during the season so he is also likely to earn the $12 million so I think you have to guarantee him AT LEAST $12 million in year 1 in terms of bonuses and salary. And he is definitely getting that or more in FA IMO.

If I'm the Bills, I'd be willing to pay extra in draft picks if CAR would take on some of his salary to make the money work.

It's already been said, if we make this trade, we will only be on the hook for $600,000 of his salary this year and only $1 million of the rest of his contract is fully guaranteed. So, for this season anyway, we won't have to pay him much of anything

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's already been said, if we make this trade, we will only be on the hook for $600,000 of his salary this year and only $1 million of the rest of his contract is fully guaranteed. So, for this season anyway, we won't have to pay him much of anything

But we don't just want him for this season.  Getting 2-3 years out of an elite player at a reasonable cost is what makes the whole thing so enticing.  He would not be a rental, he would be an addition.  

The Diggs trade made us good, the Von addition made us an SB favorite.  A CMC trade would start the dynasty.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

Panthers fans are discussing which teams have multiple 1st round picks next year, while Bills fans are saying they won't go above a 3rd and Moss.

I have a feeling that both fan bases will be disappointed.

The Bills don't need CMC. Sure he would add another big dimension to the offense. However, I'm not an advocate of giving up multiple first round picks. CMC isn't exactly reliable when it comes to his health and he is going to want to get paid. That salary will effect what the Bills can do next year. The Bills chemistry is really good. Singletary is better than average and can produce at a high level in big games. He played well in KC. I believe Beane will only go after CMC at a reduced Bills favorable price. That price is going to be below the Carolina bottom line. 

I don't understand why posters are suggesting players in this trade.  The Panthers are looking for draft capital.  They know they need a QB in next year's draft and want to secure the highest pick they can in case they don't finish last.   If they do, they want multiple picks to rebuild.  They'll bring in a new HC and let him pick his QB.  If they can't get a 1st for him it will likely take multiple round picks including a 2nd.

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I don't understand why posters are suggesting players in this trade.  The Panthers are looking for draft capital.  They know they need a QB in next year's draft and want to secure the highest pick they can in case they don't finish last.   If they do, they want multiple picks to rebuild.  They'll bring in a new HC and let him pick his QB.  If they can't get a 1st for him it will likely take multiple round picks including a 2nd.

Hard to say what other teams might be willing to give up for CMC. The rumors of multiple first rounders are pretty absurd. I don't see any team giving up that for a CMC with his injury risk and a devalued RB position. So I think it's plausible that 2nd round picks are in play. 

How good would CMC be in San Francisco's run scheme? 

Edited by newcam2012

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Can we agree there is quite a gap between "he isn't going to get 3 more years at $12M/yr like his current contract" and "And an aging, injured RB is not making more than $5M on the open market. He becomes real cheap, actually."

Sure. Who knows man. These are all just opinions and they change by the page. We have no idea what the GMs are really thinking. And "cheap" is relative.

Leonard Fournette, after helping the Bucs win a Super Bowl, only got 3/$21M.

Melvin Gordon got 2/$16M

Most RB 3rd contracts are super low regardless of how heralded the RB is.

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think it's a valid point that if you refer to a player as "an aging injured RB", he does not appear valuable as a trade target

Luckily the GMs arent using my off the cuff remarks to base deals around. 🤣

27 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

$12M/yr is absolutely no where near RBs' 3rd+ contracts. Send me some links on that if you have better examples than mine in Fournette and Gordon (I was looking for "big name" productive RBs getting their 3rd contract).

CMC does not have 3/$36M to negotiate from. He has nothing but what he thinks he's worth or is wiling to take. He would cost us $600k this year, and then could be cut and get $0 next year, and count $0 on our cap.

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills don't need CMC. Sure he would add another big dimension to the offense. However, I'm not an advocate of giving up multiple first round picks. CMC isn't exactly reliable when it comes to his health and he is going to want to get paid. That salary will effect what the Bills can do next year. The Bills chemistry is really good. Singletary is better than average and can produce at a high level in big games. He played well in KC. I believe Beane will only go after CMC at a reduced Bills favorable price. That price is going to be below the Carolina bottom line. 

I think CMC would honor his contract.  Most of the contract and payment thought and arrangements for the next year and a half would be thought out of in advance.  CMC would love the opportunity to play for a contender.  

ICMC would be a fan favorite and he in turn would love playing for Buffalo and fit right in.  The Bills would pay him fairly and he would accept it much in the same fashion as Diggs has.

And saying Singletary played well is true, kind of like saying Smoke played well before Diggs got here.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I get that. But anyone saying they don't wanna give up a 1st has to look at the bigger picture. If it means we're holding up the Lombardi at the end of the season, then make that trade all day long

Your picture is not big enough.

I want to win 4 Super Bowls, not one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.