Do we all see what Daboll is able to do with a real NFL running back?

FireChans

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

So Dabs was killed here, often, about the lack of running game when he was out OC. Of course, he had Butterfingers Singles and Cement Block Moss at RB.

Now he goes to NY, and he gets a quality RB like Barkley (who isn’t even THAT quality considering his last few season after a great rookie campaign) and BAM. Leading rusher in the NFL. Career resurgence.

So maybe, just maybe, our lack of RB production wasn’t because of Daboll or Dorsey. And maybe our GM knows this which is why we have been dumping mid round picks to try to find SOMEONE decent at RB for the last 4 years. 

The OL plays a big factor in that.  The Giants OL run blocks pretty well and pass blocks not so well.  Ours is the opposite.

So Dabs was killed here, often, about the lack of running game when he was out OC. Of course, he had Butterfingers Singles and Cement Block Moss at RB.

Now he goes to NY, and he gets a quality RB like Barkley (who isn’t even THAT quality considering his last few season after a great rookie campaign) and BAM. Leading rusher in the NFL. Career resurgence.

So maybe, just maybe, our lack of RB production wasn’t because of Daboll or Dorsey. And maybe our GM knows this which is why we have been dumping mid round picks to try to find SOMEONE decent at RB for the last 4 years. 

The Bills have an elite pass blocking offensive line.  They are a passing team with an elite passing QB. That same offensive line can't run block.  It would not matter if Barry Sanders was running behind the Bills offensive line.  Good luck finding an elite pass blocking and run blocking line.  They don't exist. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cool! Something new to be outraged about.

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Partially. And partially he is fully healthy following the ACL. It's also a 4 game sample size, things can change.

Okay.

So right now, today, teams know that the Giants are rushing and they STILL lead the league in rushing and Barkley has turned back the clock to be the best RB in football,

So the point remains, that maybe, just maybe, personnel is holding back the Bills run game.  Not Daboll or Dorsey

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Okay.

So right now, today, teams know that the Giants are rushing and they STILL lead the league in rushing and Barkley has turned back the clock to be the best RB in football,

So the point remains, that maybe, just maybe, personnel is holding back the Bills run game.  Not Daboll or Dorsey

Well I mean obviously Barkley is a better back than what we have, but you still seem to miss the bigger point is that the offense is going through Josh Allen and the run game is an afterthought. I doubt that would change regardless of who we had back there.

And to be fair, Daboll earned much of the flak and critique he got here. Sure, let's "neutralize" the lack of running game while he was OC here and where the blame should fall, that not withstanding, he earned a lot of the criticism he received. 

He is not the Giants OC. He was blessed with having Allen (not visa versa) and as evidenced by our OFF output currently, seems like an argument could be made that Dorsey is an upgrade.

Not sure of your original point, but it is clear ol' Dabs is not missed here from an OC viewpoint.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Okay.

Are you including the O-line under personnel?

The counter to your argument is the Giants would be a better passing team if their O-line could pass block better and they had better WRs.

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

good running backs

Barkley: yes

Moss: no

Moss is a much better value.  Giants have $32 million invested in Barkley over 4 years.  The Bills have $4 invested in Moss over 4 years.

I rather save the $28 million to pay players in much more important positions than running back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Barkley 84 carries

Moss 16 carries

exactly --- we do what we do, they do what they do ... not exactly proof that Barkley is great and Daboll's a genius

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

good running backs

Barkley: yes

Moss: no

sure, straight up, I'd take Barkley -- but you're trying to say Barkley/Daboll and the Giant's O is something we should want.   Seriously? 

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Okay.

The Bills average close to 100 yards and almost 10 pts per game more than the Giants.  Who's offense would you rather have?

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well I mean obviously Barkley is a better back than what we have, but you still seem to miss the bigger point is that the offense is going through Josh Allen and the run game is an afterthought. I doubt that would change regardless of who we had back there.

Would our YPC change? 

Because on limited touches with Allen being the focus of defenses, Singles is averaging 3.8.

Barkley, with the run game being the focus of the opposing defenses, is averaging 5.5.

8 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Without looking, could you seriously name 1 WR on the Giants?

Darius Slayton

Sills V

Previously Shepherd (RIP)

Kenny Golladay (trade candidate)

Daboll is not the OC in NY, Kafka, who came from KC is.

I'm sure Daboll has input, but the NY offense is a blend of ideas from NY and KC. Neither OL is above average.

The Giants are playing to their strengths which is Barkley. Their OL does seem better at run blocking than pass blocking.

The Bills play to their strength which is Josh Allen. He makes a leaky OL look better than it is.

my 2 cents

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Would our YPC change? 

Because on limited touches with Allen being the focus of defenses, Singles is averaging 3.8.

Barkley, with the run game being the focus of the opposing defenses, is averaging 5.5.

And they aren't doing that without good run blocking, which is a point you keep ignoring.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Would our YPC change? 

Darius Slayton

Sills V

And not a single one would be starting on the Bills.

Case closed.

Edited by Billz4ever

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Yeah that’s fine. Blame the OL. Not Daboll or Dorsey.

If your running backs are getting met in the backfield early and often, yes, I most certainly blame the O-line.

Tell us, if you could have a great run blocking O-line or a great pass blocking O-line, which would you chose?  Because there aren't many that are great at both.

9 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Moss is a much better value.  Giants have $32 million invested in Barkley over 4 years.  The Bills have $4 invested in Moss over 4 years.

I rather save the $28 million to pay players in much more important positions than running back.

This should be /thread and looks like Bark just got injured...

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Would our YPC change? 

Darius Slayton

Sills V

Again, it's a small sample size...Singletary averaged 5.1, 4.4 and 4.6 YPC the other 3 full seasons he was here.

Additionally Kromer is really trying to teach the Bills to be a zone blocking team...Daboll gave up midway through the year last year and changed to a more gap running scheme featuring a lot of pin and pull runs with Morse leading the way.

Right now, it is a lot of small details on the run plays that are hurting them. Missed assignment, not working together as a team properly to get someone blocked the right way, etc. 

I would expect some of that to be cleaned up as the year goes on. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah that’s fine. Blame the OL. Not Daboll or Dorsey.

The point is we don't have to blame anyone.   Daboll is succeeding with a run game in NY, We're kicking@$$ here.   It's not exactly apples to apples, and if you think it's time to change fanships - enjoy ...

20 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If your running backs are getting met in the backfield early and often, yes, I most certainly blame the O-line.

Tell us, if you could have a great run blocking O-line or a great pass blocking O-line, which would you chose?  Because there aren't many that are great at both.

I’d like to have one or the other.  

I’m not sure we do

Josh doesn’t get sacked too often, but that has more to do with his willingness to get it out fast and his escapability than our OL’s pass blocking chops from what I see.

Just now, Beck Water said:

I’d like to have one or the other.  

I’m not sure we do

Josh doesn’t get sacked too often, but that has more to do with his willingness to get it out fast and his escapability than our OL’s pass blocking chops from what I see.

I believe we have a better than average pass blocking line.  Watch some other team's QB's.  Josh has more time than most even when he's not creating on the run.

Since this seems to be effectively the Giants-Packers gameday thread…

….217 passing yards, 41 rush yards, 77% completions, no interceptions

If the Giants hired Daboll on the premise he could turn Daniel Jones into the next Josh Allen, is it actually working?

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Since this seems to be effectively the Giants-Packers gameday thread…

….217 passing yards, 41 rush yards, 77% completions, no interceptions

If the Giants hired Daboll on the premise he could turn Daniel Jones into the next Josh Allen, is it actually working?

Packers have a bad defense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.