Do you have a problem with fans standing the entire game?

HOUSE

27 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I respectfully disagree.  I was at the game in LA with my dad, who is getting up there in years.  We paid a lot of money for the tickets.  While I am physically able to stand up for some or most of the game, he is not.  There was an obnoxious Rams fan who kept standing up throughout the early parts of the game and my Dad could not see the field.  I put up with it for a while and was going to eventually tell the guy to sit down, but Josh and the Bills took care of it for me. 

When I stand up at games, which I sometimes like to do during big moments, I always turn to see who is sitting behind me.  If I think it's going to be a problem for them (I'm a big, tall guy), I don't do it.  They paid for a ticket and are entitled to see the field.

I had a few beers before the game and a drink or two during the game.  That makes me have to urinate.  Unfortunately, our seats were in the middle of the section, so I had to get up to go to the men's room several times throughout the game, which means I had to leave my seat.  That said, I NEVER leave my seat during an active play.  It try to wait until a TV timeout, end of a quarter, etc.  I'm also very polite with plenty of please, thank you, and sorry.

I actually think we're on the same page.  I get that we have to take pisses.  Can't help that!  A few years ago, I attended a Bills/Pats game in Buffalo.  Multiple Pats fans were in and out of their seats for the entire game and I missed seeing action because of it.  Those are the people I'm talking about.

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Whenever I buy tickets for anything, I always try to buy on the asile.  I understand that I need to use the facilities several times during the game and don't want to make it more difficult for me or anyone else.  That said, aisle seats are not always available.

No, they can be very hard to come by! I have been known to move a couple sections over (for the worse) to get something close to the aisle. I also tend to be a bit claustrophobic and I think that may be part of it, on top of the convenience.

We all have our own quirks. Some are just quirkier than others. 

No, not really though I don’t prefer it. This isn’t a new phenomenon either. Most games it’s just standing for the big moments / plays. However in the ‘90s glory years my old section ( B 7) stood for entire playoff games. Regular season I’d prefer to sit sometimes. There’s nothing wrong with standing though if that’s the general mood of the section. Not standing doesn’t make one virtuous either, that’s ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

I stand when the action is hot (In the Red Zone) or when they score or get a big play to cheer, but sit 80-90% of the time. Standing the whole time is a turd move. There are appropriate times when everyone wants to stand and get into it, just know what those are so you don't end up being a jerk to the people behind you. They paid too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I had an issue years ago when I brought my two very young nephews 8 and 6 to a game with the rows in front of us not only standing, but standing on the seats. Poor kids couldn’t see anything. 
I politely asked if they could sit or not stand on the seats, that didn’t go over well. Later I asked if they could just leave one seat open so the boys could see through. That time I was threatened by roughly 10 drunk guys and they continued on joking about what they should do to me. 
Couple minutes later one of those fine gentleman turned around and accidentally dumped his beer perfectly between my large chested girlfriends ummmm chest. He politely offered to clean it off. We stood at the top of the steps and were quickly told by security we couldn’t stand there. They did not care about the issues we had with our seats. And we left shortly after. 
It was a very long time ago. San Diego Chargers. Power went out. Phillip Rivers was throwing temper tantrums on the field over the play clock issues with no power. Last game I attended in Buffalo. Silly drunk fans at every game but I made a bad mistake of bringing very young children to their first game and they almost got to see their favorite uncle get beat up by 10 dudes. I’ll stick to watching on tv 

Edited by Rc2catch

I'm too old to stand for a whole game (except for time outs when I was able to sit for a couple of minutes) like I had to do on opening day last season.  As a result, I'm only going to go to future Bills home games if I can get 1st row seats in the club level endzone or upper deck.  I'm going to 2 Bills road games this year & no home games. 

If the Bills can have a family section, they should also consider a no standing section too.  

• Like (+1) 1

The game is more fun when everyone is standing and into it.  The atmosphere in the section I was in was amazing.  We all stood during play and could take breaks and sit during TV timeouts.

I do understand the frustration of people who have trouble standing physically or for kids.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fdapats said:

The game is more fun when everyone is standing and into it.  The atmosphere in the section I was in was amazing.  We all stood during play and could take breaks and sit during TV timeouts.

I do understand the frustration of people who have trouble standing physically or for kids.

Explain how standing “makes it more fun”.  Can’t wait for the response. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The games I go to which is not a lot living in FL.  Maybe 1-2 per yr.  In OP you almost have to stand as everyone is standing in front of you.  You’re not trying to be rude for those behind you, but I’m not going to change an inordinate amount of people in front of me, so that’s futility and a waste of energy. 

In a stadium where most fans only selectively get up in front of you, it’s kind of go with the flow.  My point is I’m spending over $1000 plus and much more for a flight with me and my three children for a weekend.  I’m not sitting when I can see nothing.  Wasting energy getting mad at people is stupid.  

There are some times when I watch depending on the section in Tampa locally where it’s just catching a game if people are sitting in front of me, I sit.  Why get p-d about it?  

what I will say is my kids love me taking them to a game as they always say the fans are crazy.  They love it.  If that means we have to stand, whatever.  I’m not going to chg people so why care about it?

It's not good for my 87 yr old Dad who doesn't want to stay home and can't stand the whole game.  We stopped getting tickets in the lower bowl since standing moved from mostly an EZ thing to the whole thing.  We get tix in the Club section now and have had pretty good luck - except for the 20-something drunk a-holes who were in front of us about 5 years ago and were the only people standing in the whole club level and were just doing it to piss off my Dad - eventually they got so drunk they got kicked out (if I ever was going to hit a girl it would have been then).  We are in the Ceasar's Sports App Suite for the Pitt game - assuming standing won't be an issue there :) 

My absolute most hated sports fan guy (besides the idiot who tries to start the wave) is "Stand Up!" Guy - idiot who spends the entire game with his back to the game waving his hands "Stand Up!  Stand Up!"  - JFC just die

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I actually think we're on the same page.  I get that we have to take pisses.  Can't help that!  A few years ago, I attended a Bills/Pats game in Buffalo.  Multiple Pats fans were in and out of their seats for the entire game and I missed seeing action because of it.  Those are the people I'm talking about.

Oooh, Belichick has reached new heights!

Lessening the booing is in chapter 2, section 5, part 3. 

I sit down always when we're on offense (unless its a score or big play, but then I sit right back down) and I always stand when we're on D. Simple as that. If there is someone behind me that seems to not be able to stand at all for whatever reason, I try to accommodate them.

And yes by the way, it does make a difference when standing up if you're going to be screaming your head off trying to help get the opposing offense to false start or have trouble hearing audibles. Why?, because the diaphragm and lung expansion and your ability to project vocally increases when standing. This is why choir singers typically stand and musical stage performers (which I do on weekends) who sing typically stand. Its just science. Folks can look it up if they like. (someone laughed at that point earlier but its true)

There are zero reasons to stand up while your team is on offense outside of quick celebrations.

"The standing position also assists in good singing technique. Breathing from your diaphragm rather than from your chest will maximize the amount of air you can get into your lungs. This in turn will let you get the maximum amount of power and strength from your voice, and to control it with minimum effort. Standing allows for full movement of the diaphragm, whereas sitting can squash it and restrict its movement."

https://www.smartrapper.com/is-it-better-to-sit-or-stand-while-recording-rap-vocals/ , https://coolcommunicator.com/how-to-project-your-voice/ , https://standdesk.co/blogs/news/how-standing-up-when-you-record-your-voice-improves-your-presence , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_projection ,

- Facts

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It's not good for my 87 yr old Dad who doesn't want to stay home and can't stand the whole game.  We stopped getting tickets in the lower bowl since standing moved from mostly an EZ thing to the whole thing.  We get tix in the Club section now and have had pretty good luck - except for the 20-something drunk a-holes who were in front of us about 5 years ago and were the only people standing in the whole club level and were just doing it to piss off my Dad - eventually they got so drunk they got kicked out (if I ever was going to hit a girl it would have been then).  We are in the Ceasar's Sports App Suite for the Pitt game - assuming standing won't be an issue there :) 

My absolute most hated sports fan guy (besides the idiot who tries to start the wave) is "Stand Up!" Guy - idiot who spends the entire game with his back to the game waving his hands "Stand Up!  Stand Up!"  - JFC just die

I don’t disagree with what’s right,

but none of us are going to change it.  It is what it is.  My 92 yr old dad hasn’t been to a game in decades because he can’t.  He’d rather watch on tv anyway, and he’s very ambulatory and goofs once a week with little problems.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.