What We Learned Week 1

corta765

NFL: Week 1 is classic overreaction 101 as fanbases like the 49ers, Bengals, and Rams are imploding while Giant fans and   Texan fans feel better about where they are at now then 48 hrs ago. Realistically the first 4 weeks of an NFL season is fools gold and at max entertaining value. Last year the Chiefs started 2-2 and still ended up wining the division despite the Chargers beating them early on. The Pats were notorious slow starters with Brady where on the flip side the 2016 Rams starter 3-1 only to win one game the rest of the year. With all of that said there are some things that could be more true heading into the season like the Lions being an improved roster as they pushed the Eagles hard or the Titans finally showing some cracks after jettisoning a lot of talent. With that said on to the AFC:

AFC: If there is a prop bet that allows you to bet on Allen, Hebert, and Mahomes vs the field to rep the AFC I’d bet it hard for the next decade. These three teams are complete as they come across the board with freaks at QB who do incredibly fun and great things. Hebert still needs to prove he can perform in the playoffs (wasn’t his fault though they missed last year) but he is superb. If there was one takeaway watching the rest of the AFC it’s that there is those three teams/QBs and then the next tier #ReturnoftheAFL

BAL: One game in and all well for Ravens offense. Can’t believe they haven’t signed Lamar as that’s a big distraction if things go south, but they’ve done this before.

BUF: No blitzing and 7 sacks, the dream for McD and crew. The rematch with KC in the playoffs is coming this could be the big swing factor.

CLE: They played ok and kinda lucked out at the same time. At some point the QB situation will drag the roster away from being playoff able.

CIN: Joe Burrows last four games 5 TDs 6 INTs 299 ypg 24 sacks on 40 att. I think Joe Burrow is a superb QB with a great future assuming CIN doesn't destroy him. I also think yesterday was a bit of a wake up call he has room to grow and polish and last years SB was a lot of luck/early arrival for the Bengals. This loss will haunt them come end of year.

DEN: Play tonight and everyone is curious how Russ "Rides" in Denver. If he plays like he did the last few years DEN can work there way into that top 3 of BUF/KC/LAC.

HOU: They will be a bad team this year, but they are honest about themselves which should help in evaluating the talent they have and Lovie will have them compete where Sunday isn't a one time thing.

IND: Yikes. They have lost week 1 for a bunch of years now so I guess a tie is a slight improvement, but for a team that is was a popular preseason pick they can't have too many games like this.

JAX: Amazing what happens with competent coaching. Trevor had a decent game and the pieces are there for JAX to grow this year, but they need to protect him more for his true potential to come through (2 sacks 10 QB hits).

KC: If you really thought KC/Mahomes would struggle I get it but bad pick. They may be more dangerous on offense as they are more diversified weapon wise even without Tyreek.

LAC: One down ten to go. The talent and QB are there they need to just keep finishing the job unlike the prior years. 

MIA: Tua was fine, you beat a team you should, and BB is sad. Even if you don't like MIA the last part is nice. Waddle and Hill had their moments, but it just feels like it will be moments when you watch Tua. Fun stat per NFL.com Tua is 4-0 vs NE and BB....weird

NE: BB sounded like Dick Jauron post game yesterday about two big plays swinging the game. Pretty jarring from a guy who demands perfection. Realty is finally hitting NE that they don't have the talent to complete even with the brain at coach.

NYJ: They may be rivals but it is getting to the point of hug your local Jet fan. They only lost by 14 just sounds awful. Even after an offseason that seems promising they still were cannon fodder yesterday. They need to really hope when Wilson returns the offense shows some true growth and promise.

PIT: Good for Mitch, bad for TJ. I really could see the Steelers challenging for a wild card spot... if TJ was healthy. Mitch was solid and the defense was relentless which is a fine formula, but Watt being potentially out for the year is the one difference maker they can't afford.

RAIDERS: Anddd that is why people won't put Carr in the elite of QBs. In a division as tight as the AFC West in a game that is against a division opponent 3 INTs will kill any team. The next four games are ARZ, at TEN, DEN, at KC. They need to go 2-2 to keep pace if they have any playoff hope.

TEN: On 21 attempts Derrick Henry average 3.9 ypc a year after his ypc went down to 4.3 from 5.4. At some point the tread on the tires starts to wear, the bigger issue is the loss of talent across the board that puts even more pressure on Henry to make plays. Yesterday was the kind of loss the catches a team when things get tight later in the year as Bills fans know too well.

NFC: Week 1 saw struggles out of more consistent performers like Rodgers and Stafford while less believed in QB's like Jalen Hurts ad Kirk Cousins had a superb day. Odds are Rodgers and Stafford rebound with their teams as part of the NFC elite, but if Hurts and Cousins can actually keep their play at the level it is at the NFC could be far more wide open then maybe thought at the start. With that said looking at the young stars at QB in the AFC vs the NFC you can see a stark contrast in talent. Justin Fields had a nice day considering the weather while Trey Lance struggled, but after those two you are left with Kyler Murray & Jalen Hurts if you buy his stock. Odds are the NFC will field 2-3 of the top teams in the draft which should bring some more young talent over, but it is damning how the NFC is still led by aged vets like Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, and Cousins to a lesser extent. Things change fast in the NFL and I am sure in 2 years it could be very different, but even if the NFC gets some new blood in the draft it will take a little time to build around those guys. 

ARZ: There have been many questions on the true strength of the Cards defense and they were exposed badly yesterday. Blitzing against Mahomes is a major no no and they did that far too much. 

ATL: Play an entertaining game? Check. Have a sizable lead fourth quarter? Check. Blow said lead because your coach didn't have the guts to go for it on 4th and 1? Check. Lose game which helps long term draft goal? Check

CAR: Baker had an atrocious start, but they got back in it and the offense showed a lot of life late. Gut wrenching way to lose on a FG 63 yds plus, but the schedule is light enough if the offense can actually stay healthy and competent to push at the playoffs.

CHI: Good for Justin Fields to get a nice win like that. I still think they are a year away as he needs a little more help, but that is certainly a confidence builder. The field on the other hand is why they are moving to Arlington.

DAL: It is like clock work, post playoff year key injuries hit and wreck the season. Even if Dak was healthy though they lack depth and it showed it big time before he went out against TB.

DET: I got to hand it to the Lions for not quitting when they went down 21-7 or 31-14, PHI was a tough matchup out of the gate but if they are to turn the proverbial corner you need to make true progress. Goff started slow but the offense has enough talent to make some noise late for a wildcard it is the defense that still needs a lot of help.

GB: Second year with a horrendous start for GB, but the questions are real about Adams being gone as rookie WR Christian Waston dropped an easy TD deep. I would expect GB to get off the mat, but I do not think they have nearly the easy road clinching a playoff birth as they have years prior.

LAR: Not the start many expected but the offensive line is in transition which limited Stafford's time to pass and get comfortable. They need to get that figured out if they want to make a run again. Thankfully the rest of the division loss so no harm.

MIN: Head coach Kevin O'Connell said he was going to put players in their best position to succeed and I'd say that went well opening week. The defense is not perfect by any means, but if they can support the high flying offense enough Minnesota can win the division and 11-12 games.

NYG: Good for Brian Daboll getting his first win and good for him going for 2pts. There are still far too many coaches that play the conservative risk adverse coaching style, I appreciate him going for 2. With Dak out maybe the Giants get a little lucky to make things interesting down the road especially if Barkley can stay healthy.

NOLA: Well they were down 26-10 heading into the fourth against a team expected to draft near the top... they also won 27-26. If they want to be a playoff team they have to be more consistent then what they showed.

PHI: Have a day Jalen Hurts who moved like an mongoose attack a Cobra. His passing at times is still a little questionable, but he is using his weapons and head coach Nick Sirreonis aggressive rushing attack really is fun to watch.

SEA: They play tonight and I for one am curious how Geno does. They strike me as a top 5 draft team, but Geno has two good WR's and a new LT. The big question is if the 12's boo Wilson?

SF: Holy over reaction. Lance had a tough day, but very very few QBs are having a great day in that monsoon. That locker room needs to keep blinders on the entire season otherwise the outside noise will wreck a potentially good team.

TB: The offense wasn't very crisp and Godwin may be out again, but Leonard Fournette looked reborn. More importantly the Bucs defense was sensational all game which will take pressure off the offense which is trying to figure out some changes up front on the line and no Gronk at TE.

WSH: Wentz might have had the least encouraging 4 TD 300 yd game ever as he had back to back INTs and almost another late. The talent is there where they could be a playoff team especially with Dallas looking down, but they just always seem to have questions even when things are good. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, corta765 said:

NFL: Week 1 is classic overreaction 101 as fanbases like the 49ers, Bengals, and Rams are imploding while Giant fans and   Texan fans feel better about where they are at now then 48 hrs ago. Realistically the first 4 weeks of an NFL season is fools gold and at max entertaining value. Last year the Chiefs started 2-2 and still ended up wining the division despite the Chargers beating them early on. The Pats were notorious slow starters with Brady where on the flip side the 2016 Rams starter 3-1 only to win one game the rest of the year. With all of that said there are some things that could be more true heading into the season like the Lions being an improved roster as they pushed the Eagles hard or the Titans finally showing some cracks after jettisoning a lot of talent. With that said on to the AFC:

AFC: If there is a prop bet that allows you to bet on Allen, Hebert, and Mahomes vs the field to rep the AFC I’d bet it hard for the next decade. These three teams are complete as they come across the board with freaks at QB who do incredibly fun and great things. Hebert still needs to prove he can perform in the playoffs (wasn’t his fault though they missed last year) but he is superb. If there was one takeaway watching the rest of the AFC it’s that there is those three teams/QBs and then the next tier #ReturnoftheAFL

BAL: One game in and all well for Ravens offense. Can’t believe they haven’t signed Lamar as that’s a big distraction if things go south, but they’ve done this before.

BUF: No blitzing and 7 sacks, the dream for McD and crew. The rematch with KC in the playoffs is coming this could be the big swing factor.

CLE: They played ok and kinda lucked out at the same time. At some point the QB situation will drag the roster away from being playoff able.

CIN: Joe Burrows last four games 5 TDs 6 INTs 299 ypg 24 sacks on 40 att. I think Joe Burrow is a superb QB with a great future assuming CIN doesn't destroy him. I also think yesterday was a bit of a wake up call he has room to grow and polish and last years SB was a lot of luck/early arrival for the Bengals. This loss will haunt them come end of year.

DEN: Play tonight and everyone is curious how Russ "Rides" in Denver. If he plays like he did the last few years DEN can work there way into that top 3 of BUF/KC/LAC.

HOU: They will be a bad team this year, but they are honest about themselves which should help in evaluating the talent they have and Lovie will have them compete where Sunday isn't a one time thing.

IND: Yikes. They have lost week 1 for a bunch of years now so I guess a tie is a slight improvement, but for a team that is was a popular preseason pick they can't have too many games like this.

JAX: Amazing what happens with competent coaching. Trevor had a decent game and the pieces are there for JAX to grow this year, but they need to protect him more for his true potential to come through (2 sacks 10 QB hits).

KC: If you really thought KC/Mahomes would struggle I get it but bad pick. They may be more dangerous on offense as they are more diversified weapon wise even without Tyreek.

LAC: One down ten to go. The talent and QB are there they need to just keep finishing the job unlike the prior years. 

MIA: Tua was fine, you beat a team you should, and BB is sad. Even if you don't like MIA the last part is nice. Waddle and Hill had their moments, but it just feels like it will be moments when you watch Tua. Fun stat per NFL.com Tua is 4-0 vs NE and BB....weird

NE: BB sounded like Dick Jauron post game yesterday about two big plays swinging the game. Pretty jarring from a guy who demands perfection. Realty is finally hitting NE that they don't have the talent to complete even with the brain at coach.

NYJ: They may be rivals but it is getting to the point of hug your local Jet fan. They only lost by 14 just sounds awful. Even after an offseason that seems promising they still were cannon fodder yesterday. They need to really hope when Wilson returns the offense shows some true growth and promise.

PIT: Good for Mitch, bad for TJ. I really could see the Steelers challenging for a wild card spot... if TJ was healthy. Mitch was solid and the defense was relentless which is a fine formula, but Watt being potentially out for the year is the one difference maker they can't afford.

RAIDERS: Anddd that is why people won't put Carr in the elite of QBs. In a division as tight as the AFC West in a game that is against a division opponent 3 INTs will kill any team. The next four games are ARZ, at TEN, DEN, at KC. They need to go 2-2 to keep pace if they have any playoff hope.

TEN: On 21 attempts Derrick Henry average 3.9 ypc a year after his ypc went down to 4.3 from 5.4. At some point the tread on the tires starts to wear, the bigger issue is the loss of talent across the board that puts even more pressure on Henry to make plays. Yesterday was the kind of loss the catches a team when things get tight later in the year as Bills fans know too well.

NFC: Week 1 saw struggles out of more consistent performers like Rodgers and Stafford while less believed in QB's like Jalen Hurts ad Kirk Cousins had a superb day. Odds are Rodgers and Stafford rebound with their teams as part of the NFC elite, but if Hurts and Cousins can actually keep their play at the level it is at the NFC could be far more wide open then maybe thought at the start. With that said looking at the young stars at QB in the AFC vs the NFC you can see a stark contrast in talent. Justin Fields had a nice day considering the weather while Trey Lance struggled, but after those two you are left with Kyler Murray & Jalen Hurts if you buy his stock. Odds are the NFC will field 2-3 of the top teams in the draft which should bring some more young talent over, but it is damning how the NFC is still led by aged vets like Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, and Cousins to a lesser extent. Things change fast in the NFL and I am sure in 2 years it could be very different, but even if the NFC gets some new blood in the draft it will take a little time to build around those guys. 

ARZ: There have been many questions on the true strength of the Cards defense and they were exposed badly yesterday. Blitzing against Mahomes is a major no no and they did that far too much. 

ATL: Play an entertaining game? Check. Have a sizable lead fourth quarter? Check. Blow said lead because your coach didn't have the guts to go for it on 4th and 1? Check. Lose game which helps long term draft goal? Check

CAR: Baker had an atrocious start, but they got back in it and the offense showed a lot of life late. Gut wrenching way to lose on a FG 63 yds plus, but the schedule is light enough if the offense can actually stay healthy and competent to push at the playoffs.

CHI: Good for Justin Fields to get a nice win like that. I still think they are a year away as he needs a little more help, but that is certainly a confidence builder. The field on the other hand is why they are moving to Arlington.

DAL: It is like clock work, post playoff year key injuries hit and wreck the season. Even if Dak was healthy though they lack depth and it showed it big time before he went out against TB.

DET: I got to hand it to the Lions for not quitting when they went down 21-7 or 31-14, PHI was a tough matchup out of the gate but if they are to turn the proverbial corner you need to make true progress. Goff started slow but the offense has enough talent to make some noise late for a wildcard it is the defense that still needs a lot of help.

GB: Second year with a horrendous start for GB, but the questions are real about Adams being gone as rookie WR Christian Waston dropped an easy TD deep. I would expect GB to get off the mat, but I do not think they have nearly the easy road clinching a playoff birth as they have years prior.

LAR: Not the start many expected but the offensive line is in transition which limited Stafford's time to pass and get comfortable. They need to get that figured out if they want to make a run again. Thankfully the rest of the division loss so no harm.

MIN: Head coach Kevin O'Connell said he was going to put players in their best position to succeed and I'd say that went well opening week. The defense is not perfect by any means, but if they can support the high flying offense enough Minnesota can win the division and 11-12 games.

NYG: Good for Brian Daboll getting his first win and good for him going for 2pts. There are still far too many coaches that play the conservative risk adverse coaching style, I appreciate him going for 2. With Dak out maybe the Giants get a little lucky to make things interesting down the road especially if Barkley can stay healthy.

NOLA: Well they were down 26-10 heading into the fourth against a team expected to draft near the top... they also won 27-26. If they want to be a playoff team they have to be more consistent then what they showed.

PHI: Have a day Jalen Hurts who moved like an mongoose attack a Cobra. His passing at times is still a little questionable, but he is using his weapons and head coach Nick Sirreonis aggressive rushing attack really is fun to watch.

SEA: They play tonight and I for one am curious how Geno does. They strike me as a top 5 draft team, but Geno has two good WR's and a new LT. The big question is if the 12's boo Wilson?

SF: Holy over reaction. Lance had a tough day, but very very few QBs are having a great day in that monsoon. That locker room needs to keep blinders on the entire season otherwise the outside noise will wreck a potentially good team.

TB: The offense wasn't very crisp and Godwin may be out again, but Leonard Fournette looked reborn. More importantly the Bucs defense was sensational all game which will take pressure off the offense which is trying to figure out some changes up front on the line and no Gronk at TE.

WSH: Wentz might have had the least encouraging 4 TD 300 yd game ever as he had back to back INTs and almost another late. The talent is there where they could be a playoff team especially with Dallas looking down, but they just always seem to have questions even when things are good. 

All is good for the Baltimore offense?  I don't think so.  They had 64 yards of offense with a few minuets to go in the first half and struggled mightily for much of the game against the Jets. Clearly you looked at only looked at the stat line. They offered him a $290 million contract but only $133 million guaranteed.  IMO, this is a pretty strong sign they don't really believe in him long term as their QB because if Kyler Murray gets $189 million guaranteed prior to his contract being done, you can be pretty sure than coming in at less than that, and in this case WAY less than that, is a non-starter and an offer they knew he would never take, but allows them to say they made him a "great" offer and bandy about the total amount they offered him.

I also am not as high on Russell Wilson as many others...the man would disappear for large stretches of games and seasons and was never held to account for it.  Every year you would have games where he looked like "Bad Tyrod" and looked completely inept but then put together one drive at the end to win it after the defense kept them in the game and then it was all about how he won the game and not how he looked terrible for much of it...I know because I had him in fantasy football in my keeper league for 3 or 4 years and he used to drive me crazy...also watched plenty of 4pm games where he looked dreadful. I think people are going to be surprised that he isn't as good as everyone thinks in that division.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure how much you can 'learn' from games you don't watch in week 1. You can't even base it on trends or analysis from others over the course of several games showing you patterns. 

33 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Case in point, anyone who watched that game knows Baltimore struggled mightily on offense until Jets defense gave up after watching Flacco go through 2 quarters. 

Edited by Malazan

39 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Watched the Chargers vs Raiders yesterday and Herbert made some very nice throws but he also threw a couple of bad ones. Also, lets not forget, the Raiders were in it until the end and could have won the game, even with Carr throwing 3 INTs and being sacked a bunch. Chargers should have blown out the Raiders but almost gave it up. Chargers and Herbert are a level beneath Allen/Bills and Mahomes/Chiefs. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

All is good for the Baltimore offense?  I don't think so.  They had 64 yards of offense with a few minuets to go in the first half...

Now I know why they looked so elegant...

Definition of minuet

1 : a slow graceful dance in ³/₄ time characterized by forward balancing, bowing, and toe pointing.

9 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

How are they “still king”?  They didn’t even make it to the Super Bowl last year.

They are in that Patriots status where they are basically in the AFC title yearly now and betting against them as a SB fav seems like a favorite. If the Bills want to be their counter with they gotta win the SB. Beating them in the playoffs would be good, but if you want to be considered a team like that you gotta finish the job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.