2022 MVP: Mahomes wins. Allen gets 1 vote? (42 TDs, 19 TOs, 315 YPG & 63.3%% Comp %--EOY talk 54+)

transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

The insane games with no punts isn’t the standard - it’s Josh’s ceiling. It’s what makes him, talent wise, the best QB in the NFL. He made some plays against the Bears, but that second interception and bizarre fling it across his body and field to a well covered receiver (second quarter, I think) when there are clearly receivers better positioned is his floor; moments where the only response is what are you doing???

I keep repeating myself by saying that it is unfair to expect Josh to be Superman all the time. But if he could just up his floor by a couple of notches, maybe by being more careful with the ball and accepting easier passes more often, then he’d be an even greater force than he already is… and he’s some force already.

Those picks were ugly, but both were explainable 

His mistake wasn't hitting McKenzie on an over route in man coverage. He throws that exact pass for touchdowns very frequently. 

His mistake was being fooled thinking it was man across the board, so that the guy who picked the ball off, he thought was occupied elsewhere. He was fooled pre and post snap. That player, or half of the field, was instead in zone. QBs get fooled like this sometimes, and the throw was a bit off anyway because of the wind likely 

The second one sailed on him, the dump off was the correct choice. you can see the wind violently change the orientation of the ball, which is why it sailed. Unfortunate, but not like some of his picks earlier this year.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, pennstate10 said:

I think Josh is the MVP. 

1) Re: passing stats, consider the windy, rainy, snow bad weather games for Josh. Also consider that bills receivers have highest drop rate in NFL. Despite this , Allen is a top 3 passer when considering all passing stats. And a top 3 runner. 

2) Consider supporting cast. Mahomes has Reid, and a top 5 OL. Hurts has the best OL. Burrow has the best trio of wr in NFL. Josh has a below average OL, a first year OC, and 1 top WR. 

3). Someone might say Josh has advantage of a top 3 defense.  Although this is clearly an advantage if you want to win a Super Bowl , it’s a disadvantage in the mvp race. A top scoring D means you need fewer points, and therefore less offensive output, less gaudy passing stats to win a game. 

I think it would be interesting to see how DC would vote as to which QB they least like seeing. I guess it would be mahomes and Allen, then burrow, then Herbert, then hurts. 

Also one of the hardest schedules in the league. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I get what you’re trying to say… but I think you’re confusing people with how you keep using “floor”

His floor isn’t “very low”. That would mean at his floor he’s one of the worst QBs in football. That’s just not true. 

I think at his worst he can look like a rookie again (on a single or a handful of throws in certain games). BUT if I think about it objectively, instead of someone desperate for everything to click so the Bills win the elusive Super Bowl and letting it cloud my judgement, then so can Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert etc.

I definitely think a lack of Josh would impact us more negatively than Mahomes missing for KC, Burrow for the Bengals, Herbert for the Chargers etc. As good as our defense is - except on 3rd and long! - he is our MVP and then some.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

If Josh sweeps Mahomes and Burrow on the road to take the 1 seed, their MVP advocates will be scrambling. 

I strongly feel Josh will outplay Joe this Monday to move into #2 mvp odds position. And although unlikely, he'd need a big game v NE to possibly catch Patty.  Regardless aside from a little 2 1/2 game lull, he's had a very good season.  #2 in QBR

Edited by LABILLBACKER

26 minutes ago, balln said:

Nah sounds like it’s mahommes no matter what. 

Yes. He leads in yards, yards/game, TDs, QBR, and 2nd in overall passer rating on a top team. He has two awful opponents remaining who can't negatively impact his stock and carries the cachet to overcome any close debate. Hurts deserves honorable mention for his development, consistency, and touting the best record. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Mahomes is certainly a worthy candidate 

Yes.

However, he also got lucky to play a weak AFC West (Denver, Raiders) and a weak AFC South (Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Indy) and fairly weak NFC West (Cardinals, Seattle, Rams, 49ers). 

The Bills on the other hand has met stiff competition in the AFC East (Lost to Miami and Jets) and a AFC North that is likely to send at least 2 teams to the Playoffs (Baltimore and Bengals)and an average NFC North (Vikings, Packers, Lions, Bears). 

Plus the Bills had to go through adversity with the weather playing 3 games in 12 days (all on the road) and still pulled victories in all of them

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Yes.

However, he also got lucky to play a weak AFC West (Denver, Raiders) and a weak AFC South (Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Indy) and fairly weak NFC West (Cardinals, Seattle, Rams, 49ers). 

The Bills on the other hand has met stiff competition in the AFC East (Lost to Miami and Jets) and a AFC North that is likely to send at least 2 teams to the Playoffs (Baltimore and Bengals)and an average NFC North (Vikings, Packers, Lions, Bears). 

Plus the Bills had to go through adversity with the weather playing 3 games in 12 days (all on the road) and still pulled victories in all of them

The universe will sort itself out in no time after Allen wins the SB this year. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Yes.

Absolutely agree

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

Yes. He leads in yards, yards/game, TDs, QBR, and 2nd in overall passer rating on a top team. He has two awful opponents remaining who can't negatively impact his stock and carries the cachet to overcome any close debate. Hurts deserves honorable mention for his development, consistency, and touting the best record. 

I mean, I think Mahomes pretty much has it in the bag as well, but he just threw 3 picks against one of those remaining teams which is a top 5 defense. They could negatively impact his stock. Things also get weird after head coaches get fired. Teams come out extra motivated sometimes (maybe because of embarrassment).

20 hours ago, arcane said:

Those picks were ugly, but both were explainable 

His mistake wasn't hitting McKenzie on an over route in man coverage. He throws that exact pass for touchdowns very frequently. 

His mistake was being fooled thinking it was man across the board, so that the guy who picked the ball off, he thought was occupied elsewhere. He was fooled pre and post snap. That player, or half of the field, was instead in zone. QBs get fooled like this sometimes, and the throw was a bit off anyway because of the wind likely 

The second one sailed on him, the dump off was the correct choice. you can see the wind violently change the orientation of the ball, which is why it sailed. Unfortunate, but not like some of his picks earlier this year.

The other thing on the first one is Josh keeps throwing contested balls to Isiah Mackenzie.. Isiah is 5’9 with stone hands 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The other thing on the first one is Josh keeps throwing contested balls to Isiah Mackenzie.. Isiah is 5’9 with stone hands 

In general that route is not one that produces contested catches, it's just that the wind & his misread caused it to be one. Watch his TD pass to McKenzie on a free play against Miami in 2020 (the last game 56-26 blowout) for how it normally goes, if it was true man coverage and the throw was on point, McKenzie is in the clear to catch it wide open. 

Also, pretty much any of his catches against NE the last couple years

Man coverage - Isaiah races the DB to the opposite sideline aiming for the holes in Cover 1, and usually beats him

I think KC's game against Denver has the potential to get tricky for them if they're not careful. Usually an in season coaching change lights a spark in the team, even if it's for a game or 2. A good defense travels on the road. And lastly they just played 2 weeks ago and found themselves trailing 27-0 when Wilson threw 3 tds in 3:32 of game time. Then got knocked from the game with a concussion. Rypien came in and threw an early 4th quarter td to cut the lead to 34-28. They had 2 chances to win the game, but couldn't. This might give them confidence that they can hang with KC.

Or they could get run out of the stadium like everyone is expecting.😂

2 hours ago, arcane said:

In general that route is not one that produces contested catches, it's just that the wind & his misread caused it to be one. Watch his TD pass to McKenzie on a free play against Miami in 2020 (the last game 56-26 blowout) for how it normally goes, if it was true man coverage and the throw was on point, McKenzie is in the clear to catch it wide open. 

Also, pretty much any of his catches against NE the last couple years

Man coverage - Isaiah races the DB to the opposite sideline aiming for the holes in Cover 1, and usually beats him

And usually drops them anyway 

On 12/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, balln said:

Nah sounds like it’s mahommes no matter what. 

Yeah Mahomes going to win it barring epic collapse. I for one thought for sure the Chiefs offense would take step back when they traded Tyreek. However, that hasn't been the case and their offense has been better this year without him.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:27 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

And in order they would be:

Josh Allen

Mahomes

Burrow 

Hurts

Mahomes would be a close second. But when is the last time Reid didn't have a QB playing at a high level in his system? Chiefs would at least be a wild card team still without Mahomes in all likelihood. 

I wouldnt put Mahomes in there.  KC was in the playoffs like 4 out 5 years with Alex Smith.  I wouldnt put Hurts in there either.  Their offense still had pretty much the same production this past game with their backup.  Maybe that changes this week or another week, I dont know but their offense didnt miss a beat with their backup.  Burrow I am uncertain.  Depends on what backup they have I guess.  They still have probable the best trio of receivers in the league.

Im not trusting Barkley or Keenam with this offense.  We lack skill players and our oline sucks.  Neither of those guys are mobile enough.  I didnt trust Tribuski last season either.  They might win a game against a bottom of the league team but our O takes a nose dive IMO without Josh.

Im not saying that those guys teams would win a superbowl on their backups but I do think they would still have pretty good success and make the playoffs.  Especially the Chiefs.  Reid just does offense better than most.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.