How much of a drop off is Ken Dorsey from Brian Daboll (if any)?

JohnNord

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

It is my hope that Kromer can make Dorsey look better by coaching up the OL so we can have a respectable running game. Everything gets easier when all the options are on the table and the defense has to account for all of them. 

I think this is a big change that can easily get overlooked.  I think Bobby Johnson was a middling to bad position coach.  We had no O-Line identity at all last season.  I expect that to be a lot better this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Dorsey has Shula, Boras, Brady, and Kromer - all former OC's. This is also the Josh Allen show in year 5 and he will be letting Dorsey know which play he wants to run or audibling to the play he wants. I don't think it's just Dorsey up in the booth calling whatever play that pops into his head, it's more involved than that and he has a lot of support 

Agree.  Dorsey is 6 years younger, an ex QB.  It could help him being younger more in tune with todays NFL player and being an ex QB can also help and was very close with Allen. 

But these things could also hurt him too.  IMO they'd more likely help than hurt, but you never know.  Will see in December.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Daboll was better than most fans want to think he was. Did a great job with this offense and developing Josh Allen. 

But at this stage Josh Allen is completely coordinator proof. I don't expect any drop off as long as Dorsey doesn't suddenly decide we need to run the ball a ton more.

I certainly don’t want to become a run first team, but I DO want an effective running game. Maybe get a safety up in the box to make the passing game easier. I want ALL our options to actually be viable. Make the defense worry about everything! 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I certainly don’t want to become a run first team, but I DO want an effective running game. Maybe get a safety up in the box to make the passing game easier. I want ALL our options to actually be viable. Make the defense worry about everything! 

I am all for running better. I don't want us to run more. The success of our run game is entirely dependant on how the OL plays for me.

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am all for running better. I don't want us to run more. The success of our run game is entirely dependant on how the OL plays for me.

Running better and more varied runs.  I swear the Bills haven't run an outside sweep since Shady was here.  It's only been between the tackles because of the lack of speed.  I hope the addition of James Cook really opens up the running playbook a bit. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

…and a built-in replacement if he fails in Joe Brady

Exactly.  My hope is Dorsey leaves for a head coaching job in a few years due to his tremendous success and Brady is ready to take his place.

Beane really seems to cover all the bases.  He sets up successors in house for most staff positions. 

We are so fortunate to have Beane.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm going to go out on a limb here: I think he's going to be better than Daboll. I like Daboll. I think he did well bringing Josh along and I wish him well in NJ.

But now that Allen is on his game, and can play loose I think that Dorsey can add wrinkles in. Plus, our run game has been pretty vanilla outside of RPO and Josh runs. I'm hoping that Kromer has a few things lined up. 

• Agree 1

I think Dorsey may have some rookie oc hiccups, but I'm willing to bet he's more aggressive and smarter in the redzone than daboll. Not that daboll wasn't necessarily aggressive, but I just remember way too many run plays in the redzone when the bills would drive right down the field passing every play. Then all of sudden, 2 hand offs to singletary or moss 🙄

I'm assuming there will be some growing pains, but there is no reason why he can't be just as good or even better.

Two years from now he will be a head coach. The Bills OC position is now a fast track for head coaching opportunities.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hey, if they think they have a big advantage running the ball against certain teams, I'm all for them doing that. Or if their passing game isn't working and they need to make in-game adjustments and run the ball more, great.

They need to be good at what they do. If they need to run the ball, they need to be good at it. If they need to pass it 60 times, they need to be good at it. The best teams are the ones who can adjust how they attack when they meet a road block.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm on the "better" side only because of Josh's development. I think Dorsey will listen and trust Josh to call some of his own plays or make adjustments at the line depending on how he reads the defense. We've got two very competitive, winning QB's working together. I think this makes a difference. Daboll was working within a system that was handed down to him. He creatively worked within the framework, but wasn't the type to make a lot of in-game adjustments to the game plan. 

I think this offense will be more creative in time. Two brains operating Josh's body will help him. Dorsey will see things from the 1000 ft view and Josh will see ground level. If there's no ego and a perfect balance between the two, I personally think we can become unstoppable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have high hopes for Dorsey, but I think the world of Daboll. It's easy to say that playcalling is wrong when things don't go well, but the other teams generally have good players trying hard as well. Most of the few struggles we had the last couple of years were pretty clearly boiled down to OL personnel. The Bills offense became elite under Daboll for the first time in my life. He finished his Bills tenure orchestrating 12 touchdown drives out of 15 or 16 total playoff drives. He was excellent at his job. 

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.