Is Allen routinely fooled by pre-snap disguises?

YoloinOhio

Allen only played 4 seasons, and he was running for his life in the first 2 of them with no blocking etc.  The guy has already set massive records despite first two seasons being tough. This is still only a 26 year old QB.  Of course he’s not 100% learned all he will learn in this game. It’s a stupid argument.

Brady has been some of his best self in his early 40’s.  Keep surrounding Allen with the talent to win and he will roll.  Not to mention that he has been rushing for 750/season and improvises on the run better than most QB’s I’ve ever seen.  

Edited by Aurelius
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Didn’t Tawmmy come into his own in his 4th season?

He needed balance on offense to succeed.  

by his 5th as starter, he didn’t have to rely on a run game.  

Tawmmy was also on a SB level team back then. 

It’s why I think Allen is starting to get into the sweet spot in his career.  He’s getting smarter, becoming a better leader, and learning all the nuances.  Young QB’s in the NfL have a bear of a task.  Criticisms as a young QB should be taken with a grain of salt.  Anybody else realize that Matthew Stafford wasn’t a household name until 34 years of age simply because he is now playing for the rams and not Detroit? He’s always been talented but hitting his mark now.  He still turns it over though so we gotta get him uncomfortable thursday.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Just a lazy take. Everyone said Allen sucked. He is dominating now, so to explain it they are just saying that he is so physically gifted that he overcomes those things about him that should make him bad.

But it is a bunch of bull. Allen has progressively made strides in not just the physical aspects of the game, but the mental as well. He beats both zone and man coverage. He makes correct reads. He looks off safeties. He doesn't stare down receivers (well, sometimes he does, like most QB's). He is just as cerebral as he is physically gifted.

Agree...I think Josh took time and progressed through all what you say very well.  

When he was drafted, there were a ton of Question marks...but with a home-run hitting capability (Strong arm, fast legs, ability to move around and make plays)

His first year, several of those question marks regarding accuracy and anticipation were there as the Bills wobbled to a 6-10 record.  But the kid showed heart and demonstrated that he would go to war...that was endearing to the fan.  The Bills also realized that Allen needs weapons....they started stockpiling.

With offseason work on mechanics, Allen improved tremendously season-to-season. However, his play trailed off in the final month of the season with three losses.  However, he played a great game against the Steelers to book a post-season berth.  Accuracy improved, mistakes decreased....

Then he BLEW everyone in the next season....a season for the ages as the Bills hurtled into the AFC Championship game;  Allen himself found that he was still not ready to compete with Mahomes at the big stage as he got his A** whooped....But he had exorcised the daemons on accuracy and anticipation...

The key was that Coach McDermott and Coach Daboll were patient with him and put him in the right opportunities. GM Beane surrounded Allen with talent that would help Allen become this better player. 

It's been my understanding that Sean McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in the league when it comes to disguising defenses, and Buffalo's safeties, Poyer and Hyde are among the best at executing the disguising of coverage.  Josh Allen faces them every day in practice.  It seems to me that he would have to have a very thick skull not to have developed an ability to recognize pre-snap disguises.  I don't think he has a thick skull at all.

No

In such a complex situation where I could write three paragraphs I’ll try to put it as simple as possible

Historically Aaron Rodgers, One of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game… Has been willing to take a sack, To hold the ball for A read that he likes … And will come back to

In the same likeness, Josh will give up easy short completions… For a read that he sees the ability for a chunk play

It doesn’t always work out and Josh has to go off script and create out of the pocket but he is willing to give up a gimme for a chunk play … Because he knows he could fire off a first down every time he throws the ball

Dude gives Allen some of the highest lraise you can gove a QB, but touched on what he saw watching film of him and fans are taking it personally.  

News flash!  Josh Allen isn't perfect.  He makes mistakes, but more often than not his size, athleticism and arm strength renders those mistakes negligible. 

What's wrong with pointing that out?

No. If there is a fairer criticism in that blurb it is that he doesn't always adhere to the timing of the offense. There were times last year in some of the games where the Bills struggled where Josh got frustrated and his timing was off and he was forcing things. 

Routinely fooled by disguise? Maybe im 2018 and 2019 that was legit at times.... now? Nah.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Is he really up to 227 now? Dude has been killing the gym.

Gabriel Davis' trainer Bert Whigham told PFF's Doug Kyed that the receiver now weighs 227 pounds.

Davis is listed at 210 pounds but reportedly played last season around 220. Whigham talked up Davis' weight gain to Kyed: "He’s bigger, faster, stronger. He’s put on muscle. People say that’s too big, but he’s 23 years old. He’s just growing into his natural body. You’re going to see a big receiver." Davis has been used primarily as a deep threat in the Bills' offense, with a rookie average depth of target of 17.4 and a 15.3 aDOT in 2021. In his breakout playoff game against the Chiefs, he saw an absurdly deep collection of 10 targets, at an average depth of 20.5 yards. Davis' added weight is unlikely to change his downfield role, but will instead make it more difficult for corners to break up Josh Allen's deep shots. Davis is a safe bet to remain an inconsistent fantasy option who is dependent on hitting big plays downfield. However, he brings a huge weekly ceiling to the table if he can fully establish himself as the No. 2 option in Buffalo's passing game, which he looks set to do with a good training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Bump...looks like Josh has finally converted one of his last haterz, Steven Ruiz.  Wow, how his write up on Josh has changed from preseason.  Fully acknowledges Josh's "God Mode" abilities. 

https://qbrankings.theringer.com/

Dammit now we need a new chip to put on his shoulder. 

Thurman Thomas said he’d rewatch his draft before every game 

On 9/6/2022 at 10:41 AM, Scott7975 said:

didn’t Allen have the best or one of the best deep balls last season? Swore I read that somewhere

Nah. TBD said he wasn’t. I swear most posters only watch bills games. To gain perspective you have to look at the whole. 

Edited by AlfaBill
Added content
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dammit now we need a new chip to put on his shoulder. 

Thurman Thomas said he’d rewatch his draft before every game 

or go to his mailbox and re-read the 1000 e-mails he sent to all the Div-I college coaches !!!! Go Bills !

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.