Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Their first interaction was consensual, wasn't it? Even by her account. After that, she's contending that Araiza set up the gang rape, which was obviously not consensual. And to your original point, not that it's entirely relevant, I don't think a punter and a couple backup linemen can get whatever they want.

I shouldn't comment much on this subject, because I haven't really dug into it. But I appreciate your info. I have no clue about the consensual part. I just know she was a 17 year old high school girl. She obviously put herself in a bad situation to begin with. I have three daughters myself, all over 19 now. But if I found out they were going to college parties at 17.....I'd be very very upset. Again, I appreciate any info you have. I'm too lazy to dig into it. I'm sure Beane will do the right thing. 

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

There's also the possibility that she neither said high school nor college. And just said she went to "Grossmont." Which is both a high school and college. So it was up for interpretation. 

This is what it said in the diary that her lawyer posted. It is clearly written in there that she told him she went to Grossmont and conveniently left out the high school and college part. She said said "told him I went to grossmont"

Edited by Buffalo03

5 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Maybe its not even a money grab as Matt's lawyer suggests. Maybe they decided to include the name of the person that had the most celebrity status, knowing it would get tons of media attention. The other two named are nobodies and just naming them doesn't get headlines. Her lawyer may know they have nothing on Matt, in terms of gang rape, and truly only cares about getting this moving to get the other two.

That's a possibility. One of the biggest failures in all of this is how SDSU and SDPD have handled these allegations and this case from the get go. How does a case filled with such disgusting alleged details drag on so slowly and under the weeds? Seems much higher priority and urgency should have been put on the case. They just let it fester. 

6 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Maybe its not even a money grab as Matt's lawyer suggests. Maybe they decided to include the name of the person that had the most celebrity status, knowing it would get tons of media attention.

The way the civil lawsuit is very deliberately written to not directly accuse Araiza of participating in the gang rape, I believe there may be some truth to this. All they had to do was draw an implication between her hooking up with Araiza and later being allegedly gang raped and the media would run with that. I find it telling that Araiza's lawyer is out there publicly defending his client, while lawyers for others named in the lawsuit have said "no comment at this time."

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, mannc said:

What was Araiza supposed to tell the Bills (and the other teams) pre-draft?

Again, the “Araiza misled the Bills” narrative makes no sense at all.  

This is incorrect. Every team asks if there are any pending legal cases that they might be unaware of and the player is expected to respond with facts and information. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

My response was purely about the other poster inferring that she is a slut if she lies about her age. Which is ridiculous.

You and I, nor anyone else, but her and maybe her friends know about her intentions of going to a college party. She may have lied about her age because she wanted to fit in. Young girls like to look and be presumed they are older than they are..

Her intentions are irrelevant. She can intend to go out and get laid without getting raped.

I was a huge slut until I was about 30. I guess I reap what I sow if I got raped. 

The problem is not the girl. It is the rapists. Full stop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

It's pretty clear her attorney was disappointed in the organization's follow up with them on the details of the case.

What is your basis for this statement? Just curious…did he say that?

5 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Maybe Araiza didn't know either because he wasn't in that room where this took place?

This goes to what I said above.  

It was said that all of the football team knew there were stories of a gang rape that took place at that party and 5 players were there, including Matt.  So even if he was not himself in the room and involved, he had to know the stories that something more than just a BJ and a quickie on the lawn took place there.  And even if he didn't take her into the room and throw her face down on the bed as the civil complaint alleges, if he took her inside and introduced her to those guys, he has to know he can be seen as having some type of "accessory" involvement.

The school now acknowledges that they received anonymous complaints about what happened, and naming Matt as involved.

It strains credulity that Araiza didn't know, even if he wasn't in the room and didn't participate.

So he has to let the team know the whole story, IMHO.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

What was Araiza supposed to tell the Bills (and the other teams) pre-draft?

Again, the “Araiza misled the Bills” narrative makes no sense at all.  

What he should tell them is, it’s possible this will be brought up. He certainly was aware since the entire SDSU campus was talking about it. Bills draft due diligence would have ramped up (since it appears it wasn’t). But 2 other punters went ahead of him. That’s exactly what he should have told them. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Which is precisely why states have provisions to address legal gray areas. 

over 30 years ago I worked as a cashier/clerk in rite aid.

i re all one day they tried to do a cigarette selling to minor ring conducted by the police.  A kid about 12 come in wanting to buy cigarettes for her grandpa.  In back of her I see a shopper behaving oddly where they appear to be looking fir the correct isle a product is on. Most customers are near the aisle end. She was 10 feet back from that.  Thrn a few minutes later sge come up saying I’ll buy it for her. I recognize sre as a cop in my jurisdiction so I know what’s up.

if this customer was obviously older and buying cigarettes or alcohol and I proof them before selling I can’t be charged….even if the ID was fake.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

This is incorrect. Every team asks if there are any pending legal cases that they might be unaware of and the player is expected to respond with facts and information. 

It’s not at all clear that Araiza knew there was any sort of pending legal matter in April.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Her intentions are irrelevant. She can intend to go out and get laid without getting raped.

I was a huge slut until I was about 30. I guess I reap what I sow if I got raped. 

The problem is not the girl. It is the rapists. Full stop. 

Maybe you should read back to see where my responses originated to see the context. 

2 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Filing a civil lawsuit against someone knowing he wasn’t involved is something that can cause a lawyer to lose their license

I'm not suggesting this is true, but it is possible that Araiza played a more peripheral role in the true story.   But when Jane Doe thought through the financial opportunities, she decided to make him the main character.  And it's possible that Dan Gilleon gave her some hints to help her in that process.   

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

If they didn't know those details it's because they failed to investigate / ask.  It's pretty clear her attorney was disappointed in the organization's follow up with them on the details of the case.

though it’s also clear that attorney is a touch erratic with his approach at the moment so I’m not willing to say his prior behavior would’ve been spot on predictable for me to levy reliable speculation.

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

What he should tell them is, it’s possible this will be brought up. He certainly was aware since the entire SDSU campus was talking about it. Bills draft due diligence would have ramped up (since it appears it wasn’t). But 2 other punters went ahead of him. That’s exactly what he should have told them. 

Again, it’s not at all clear that Araiza knew in April that there was any kind of legal issue to be concerned about, especially if you believe he had nothing to do with the alleged gang rape.