Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

6 minutes ago, cd1 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_California_v._Hernandez

This has been discussed a million times. Prosecutors will need to prove that he knew she was under 18, and he has witnesses that confirm she was telling him she was 18. There is no chance they can get statutory rape to stick in this case

• Agree 1

This team is going to lay a big fat egg this season and get busted out of the playoffs, if they even make it that far. Then, all the pontificating moralists in the sports journalism woodpile, and the posters on these forums will be "circling the wagons" all the way back to this tragic dilemma, rationalizing that this is where the season we were supposed to win it all went horribly off the tracks. So, donn your merch jerseys or your "Choose Love" shirts, drink your beers, and pass the chips and dip, cause your life depends on it.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Honest question to you and anyone else...

When I consider this question I ask myself what the victim must have and be going through. I end up as thinking both are the victim here because some are vilifying an innocent until proven guilty man, trying to destroy his life, career, etc. based on a lot of conjecture.

This leaves me conflicted.  Am I alone? 

The hardest part for me is trying to keep in mind I do believe the girl was raped that night. So it’s a fine line of respecting the trauma she went through while also being skeptical if he was involved. 
I figured he was guilty of something until her lawyer started going crazy the other night and he was still on the roster.  I understand public pressure trying to get the law system to work, he had that as soon as the lawsuit was made public. His client had sympathy and national news backing her and the story had traction. Then he went on twitter posting texts and personal info and it looked like he’s panicking he’ll lose his pay to me. 
At this current point I think terrible things happened to her that night. But I’m wavering on Araizas involvement. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually, they were told on 7/30 that a civil suit was coming. They knew it would be public. 

There was press back in the winter of 2021 about this incident, as well as significant criticism of SDSU not moving fast enough, for many, on their investigation. Reports were that the SDPD asked SDSU to back off and allow the PD to investigate and not interfere with it. My memory was that there were five football players accused. Names of those accused were not made public, to the best of my knowledge. But certainly the five had to know they were named, right? None of the five were suspended from playing out the 2021 season and that bothered many.

This was all over the SDSU and MWC message boards at the time. If MA was one of the named five, which you have to assume was the case, I think all teams considering drafting MA had to know this existed. I'm thinking what MA shared during the draft vs what has currently become known doesn't reconcile. McD and the front office need to determine if what MA said previously amounts to misrepresentation. If so, that could very well be what costs MA a position on the team. Of course, the current claim can be embellished and be the misrepresentation.

I guess my point is, even if MA comes out of these claims in a good place, if he lied to Bill's leadership, I still think he's a gonner. I'm guessing this might be what has McD conflicted. 

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BTB said:

So, he had sex with her, took her to a room, and his teammates raped her, but his buddies or anyone else at this gathering, shared the end result with him in the days or weeks afterwards.  

okee dokie

Even if he didn't take her to the room but only took her inside and introduced her to some other guys and left her standing in the living room.....there are comments that the whole football team knew of rumors that a gang rape took place at that party and members of the football team were involved.  There were anonymous reports to the University naming Matt as potentially involved.

It would strain belief that he didn't know something besides a BJ and a quickie in the side yard was involved here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

Season starts in 12 days.

So sign another punter until everything gets resolved. If Araiza is innocent, he gets his job back. If he's guilty, cut him. Nobody is going to claim him off waivers right now so he can be on the practice squad until further notice.

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

For the sake of argument, let's say Araiza is innocent.  Imagine his level of distress.  The hurt of a false accusation.  The media storm.  The loss of reputation in the eyes of his teammates and coaches.   Going from excitement over making the team to the fear of losing his job...  

The kid may have been an emotional wreck at gametime.  McD may have benched him because he wasn't fully capable of playing.  

Honestly, while that all makes sense...I don't think there was any scenario Matt played last night.  Lets say Matt was in good spirits and really wanted to play, I still do not see McD allowing that to happen.  

McD is 100% about the game is just a game, life is bigger than football, and he is absolutely sincere in that.  McD felt the right decision was for him not to play because he knows the players in that locker room also are confused and don't have all the info, fans are hurting and confused, and all the families involved are as well.  There was just no way McD was going to let him on the field while so much was still unknown. 

Maybe he lets him play if some news broke that strongly helped Matt's case, but that had not occurred yet and still has not.  Under the circumstances of yesterday of what limited info was known, there was just no way that the high character of McD who values life more than the game was going to let him being on the field cause more hurt or confusion to anyone affected by this story.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I gotta know more about Beane going forward with keeping him if they were made aware of this.

Excuse my ignorance but are the fans owed a press conference detailing the decision making process here?  At least a show of respect to female Bills fans?

Our is it really just an "F" you fans, we made a call and you'll have to accept it.  This just seems so out of character for this organization. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, MPT said:

So sign another punter until everything gets resolved. If Araiza is innocent, he gets his job back. If he's guilty, cut him. Nobody is going to claim him off waivers right now so he can be on the practice squad until further notice.

To be fair this is a lot more information than you offered in the post I quoted. 

You're advocating cutting him and signing him to the practice squad. 

31 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I'm also trying to imagine him being at a party with teammates and only hanging out in the yard, having outdoor sex and never entering the house.

Him admitting to hooking up consensually outside, but claiming he never stepped foot inside is a little hard to believe.

Has he claimed he never set foot inside?

3 minutes ago, MPT said:

You can't have the guy on the practice squad traveling with the team right now.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

The hardest part for me is trying to keep in mind I do believe the girl was raped that night. So it’s a fine line of respecting the trauma she went through while also being skeptical if he was involved. 
I figured he was guilty of something until her lawyer started going crazy the other night and he was still on the roster.  I understand public pressure trying to get the law system to work, he had that as soon as the lawsuit was made public. His client had sympathy and national news backing her and the story had traction. Then he went on twitter posting texts and personal info and it looked like he’s panicking he’ll lose his pay to me. 
At this current point I think terrible things happened to her that night. But I’m wavering on Araizas involvement. 

That’s where I’m at. 

If you pressed me to make a guess based on what we know.. 

Something awful happened to her.  Araiza had consensual sex with her.  She was underage but Araiza had a plausible reason to believe she was of age.  

I have no idea if he was involved in any aspect of the alleged rape. 

Regarding the team.. I think he’ll be cut because they may feel he eroded their trust by omitting or misleading them on ancillary details around the allegation and public pressure, not because they believe he did it or not. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

If he had nothing to do with the alleged gang rape and no one was threatening to sue him at the time, then it’s not reasonable to expect him to tell the Bills anything about it except in response to specific questions.

What makes you believe the Ravens knew?

JW article says 2 of 5 teams were aware of the situation. As a team vetting a positional need and MA being arguably the top punter-they should have at least been aware. The questions they ask are pretty specific. Any legal or off field issues we should be concerned about? Perhaps then the Bills would have asked, what about the SDSU campus rumors? 

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

Nobody is going to claim him off waivers right now so he can be on the practice squad until further notice.

I wouldn't even place a bet on this.  I mean, the Bills knew this was coming and kept him.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders or Browns picked him up if the Bills cut him. 

13 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

your response tells me that you have not seen that movie! ☝️

I implore you to watch it at your earliest convenience. 

Starring Don Knotts as the embattled Head Coach,

Ed Asner as the curmudgeon GM ready to fire him,

& even Dick Butkus shows off his acting chops! 

Tim Conway is also in the cast..

Gus, the mascot/mule, proves to be deadly accurate as a FG kicker with unlimited range,

and *spoiler alert* ...

leads them all to the promised land 😆 

I would argue that Major League is basically a rip off of this plot!

Was just throwing a little twist in there.  I mean the commissioner would never allow a Mule to play football-he couldn’t wear the approved helmet!  However a dead guy could work.  But thinking of it the Commish does allow Jackasses on the field all the time so not a stretch!  

From the movie poster and the context was a pretty easy guess about the movie 😂.  Like the write up about it-read it in that movie guy voice 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I gotta know more about Beane going forward with keeping him if they were made aware of this.

Excuse my ignorance but are the fans owed a press conference detailing the decision making process here?  At least a show of respect to female Bills fans?

Our is it really just an "F" you fans, we made a call and you'll have to accept it.  This just seems so out of character for this organization. 

The fans are not owed anything at the current stage. It’s a legal matter and not the team’s responsibility to go into detail yet. How is Beane gonna stand up there and say he had or has information they were comfortable keeping him? When they can’t disclose the information they may or may not have. It’s too early in the process still for them to give any actual information. They literally can’t say much at all. You seen that with Mcdermott last night. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, BTB said:

So, he had sex with her, took her to a room, and his teammates raped her, but his buddies or anyone else at this gathering, didn’t share the end result with him in the days or weeks afterwards.  

okee dokie

Now you're just parroting the plaintiff's lawyer's talking points.  Araiza denies that's what happened.  As I said, if he had nothing to do with the gang rape, as he maintains, then there was nothing to tell the Bills about in April.

Just now, BeastMaster said:

I hope the team is in contact with the league office right now seeing if they can have him put on the exempt list until more facts are gathered. 

This is the best case scenario by far

If not the Bills should cut him, put him on the PS squad (no one else would sign him at this point) until there is some resolution.

A new punter is available, Batt Markley. Not polished or that experienced but good charisma guy.

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

There was press back in the winter of 2021 about this incident, as well as significant criticism of SDSU not moving fast enough, for many, on their investigation. Reports were that the SDPD asked SDSU to back off and allow the PD to investigate and not interfere with it. My memory was that there were five football players accused. Names of those accused were not made public, to the best of my knowledge. But certainly the five had to know they were named, right? None of the five were suspended from playing out the 2021 season and that bothered many.

This was all over the SDSU and MWC message boards at the time. If MA was one of the named five, which you have to assume was the case, I think all teams considering drafting MA had to know this existed. I'm thinking what MA shared during the draft vs what has currently become known doesn't reconcile. McD and the front office need to determine if what MA said previously amounts to misrepresentation. If so, that could very well be what costs MA a position on the team. Of course, the current claim can be embellished and be the misrepresentation.

I guess my point is, even if MA comes out of these claims in a good place, if he lied to Bill's leadership, I still think he's a gonner. I'm guessing this might be what has McD conflicted. 

This matches what I've read (from SDSU press release and some recent news stories.  There was something about Matt being named in one of the anonymous reports to the college, neutrally, to the effect of "if he isn't really involved he deserves to have his name cleared and if he is involved, he deserves to face consequences"

I'm wondering if you have or can find any press or message board links back to the winter of 2021?

I would dearly love to see them and it sounds as though you know what boards to look for and what papers might have stories.

But if what you say is true, it would be ridiculous if the Bills drafted Araiza not knowing this was hanging over him.  They need to look at their area scout and their investigator and how they're functioning.