Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Interesting side note (and I’m not even going to comment on the allegations one way or the other):  Araiza is not subject to NFL discipline.  His alleged conduct occurred before he was drafted.

I heard that too. I'll never find it but for what is worth, someone in this massive thread linked articles to players punished by the league (not the team) for conduct before the draft as an argument that this is not necessarily true. 

So now I'm confused.

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

One way or another he did the wrong thing here....and it sure seems more than statutory.   First telling her to get tested then saying I dont remember anything...yeah right.  How stupid is he for even having that phone conversation?  

We have no idea how that line of questioning went down. The statement words it in such a way to favor one side, but why would the SCU detectives ask the girl to ask a more direct question in order to confirm they had sex? After she asked directly, Araiza said he didn't remember. Before that, for all we know, it could've been leading questions like "I think I had sex last night, should I get tested?" Any normal person would respond with "yeah, you should probably get tested." The fact is, we have no idea what was specifically asked. And the SCU detectives did not pursue a criminal case after that.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

We have no idea how that line of questioning went down. The statement words it in such a way to favor one side, but why would the SCU detectives ask the girl to ask a more direct question in order to confirm they had sex? After she asked directly, Araiza said he didn't remember. Before that, for all we know, it could've been leading questions like "I think I had sex last night, should I get tested?" Any normal person would respond with "yeah, you should probably get tested." The fact is, we have no idea what was specifically asked. And the SCU detectives did not pursue a criminal case after that.

Im open to hearing the phone call

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, galept said:

I heard that too. I'll never find it but for what is worth, someone in this massive thread linked articles to players punished by the league (not the team) for conduct before the draft as an argument that this is not necessarily true. 

So now I'm confused.

It was reported in The Buffalo News this morning.  Can’t imagine they’d print that if not true.

• Agree 1

Just now, galept said:

So now I'm confused.

They can add punishment based on things that occurred before the draft only if the player was in violation again after the draft.

So it counts if the player is still misbehaving after the draft, but it doesn't count if nothing happens after the draft

• Like (+1) 1

Here's what I think.

*The Bills knew of a rape accusation, but not the details outlined in the documents, when they released Haack. Their conclusion that it wasn't true was based on incomplete information.

*They had probably previous assured Araiza that they would not cut him, so now they're struggling between public pressure and keeping their word to Araiza.

*The Bills have shown a willingness to stand by players in the past while allegations played out.

*I trust Beane and McDermott to do the right thing, and I suspect they are privy to more information than we the fans are.

*Araiza has admitted to having consensual sex with a girl who told him that she was 18 and attending college. This is per the TV interview with Araiza's lawyer.

Having said all of that, I have changed my mind about cutting him. It would be simply unfair. Anyone in this situation should be suspended with pay until the truth is known. How would you feel if you were wrongly accused and it cost you your dream career? Even suspending on allegations alone is morally questionable, but I think it's the fairest option, all parties considered.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Agree 1

People wondering why now? The girl still hasn’t received results of the rape kit. This is unbelievable. Something weird is going on.

The Bills seriously messed up by keeping Araiza on the team. My only guess is Ariaza is not going to be charged and the other 2 are, which would clear him.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

I haven't comment until now because for me this is black-and-white.

If he participated in a crime, and/OR gave statements that were not true to cover up any kind of investigation, he gets cut.

If he didn't participate in a crime, you keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, appoo said:

Not a medical exam, but what she claimed was her injuries:

From the LA Times article

The teen “stumbled out of the room bloody and crying. Her nose, bellybutton, and ear piercings had been pulled out, and she was also bleeding from her *****.”

——

Also believe there’s a statute of limitations for tort cases in Cali of a year, which makes sense why they filed civil suit now, as the incident allegedly happened in October 

Actually I think it is 2 yrs. Cal.Civ. Proc. §335.1

blech all this cyber conjecturing is fine. In the meantime though our Bills now need to take time to deal with this, Find another punter?  SMH Something horrific happened to that woman. The court will decide if he is to be held civilly liable. It stinks BAD

I wonder what reception mr araiza will receive tonight. I wonder if this off field drama will affect his kicking game in any way. I wonder what the locker room will be like.

Just by virtue of the fact he was served a lawsuit and now this tawdry event has been made public araiza will be looked on with suspicion even if he is innocent of these allegations This event makes me feel both sick to my stomach but sad too. Things were falling right into place, roster stacked. He was a consensus fan favorite. Now This. That poor woman. This whole thing SUCKS

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, eball said:

It was reported in The Buffalo News this morning.  Can’t imagine they’d print that if not true.

It is true. 

18 minutes ago, galept said:

So now I'm confused.

CBA was updated in 2020

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

I've booed plenty at Bills games myself. I prefer to boo at referees though. SMH Not to beat a dead horse but the entire story makes me sick. Booing our own players 

YAY 🙂 /sarcasm

same. it's unfortunate to say the least.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Well, damn. According to this article the Bills have known about this for weeks and still went ahead and released Matt Haack and gave Araiza the job.

They must have some information that they feel paints all of this in a different light.

WHOA. Wow to the first line. I hope so to the second.

87 page thread in less than 24 hours. I am so behind.

10 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

It is felony statutory rape, he was 21, she was 17. Doesn't matter if he knew her age or not, doesn't matter if she lied about her age, doesn't matter if she consented to everything, it is STILL felony statutory rape if he had sex with her, anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances, except if they were married. Then it could be rape, depending on the circumstances.

I hope you never serve on a jury, because you are literally wrong in the "under any circumstances, even if she lied" bits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just saying... You can discount a punter... BUT a gut who can average over 50 yards a punt is a game changer.  

As a Bills fan, I gotta wait for more facts to come in and not let my emotions take over. Pat Kane is still playing.  So did Ben Roethlisberger... I was pretty hard on Kane, if more damning facts about Araiza come out, I will be hard on him too. 

Bills knew about this in July and still cut Haack anyway... That bodes well, I guess.

The Bills knowing about this and still cut Haack Wow.  It surprises me. That was a gamble they took in araizas favor.. The plot thickens.

Just now, muppy said:

The Bills knowing about this and still cut Haack Wow.  It surprises me. That was a gamble they took in araizas favor.. The plot thickens.

I highly doubt they'd gamble with this. It's just an indicator of where things truly stand on their end.