Josh on the Herd

GunnerBill

2 hours ago, sirebors said:

The practice "interviewing" that he did with his dad has really paid unbelievable dividends. Listening to him it's crazy how good he at it. If you listen carefully, he never, ever says "um...".  That's actually really hard to do... 

just an FYI. I watched the video and counted at least 21 “Um’s” or “Ah’s”. Hard to tell which was which in conversation. 

I do general agree with you though. He is very well spoken for the most part. But after seeing this I decided to count. I was shocked it was so high myself honestly. 

This was a really enjoyable interview.

One thing that stands out to me is Josh's "PR" answers now seem much more confident. 

He's always said the right thing & given the usual diplomatic answer that doesn't say too much, but lately it sounds delivered by a guy who's in full command & control.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but you can tell Josh has matured mentally just as much as he has physically.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Has he ever admitted how wrong he was about Josh?

I think this is kinda his way of doing that. I remember listening to him after our week 1 win against the Jets in 2020 and I distinctly remember him being critical of Josh still with a bunch of statements about how Josh would always be a bit of an inaccurate QB who uses his legs. A few weeks later he was fully on the bandwagon.

I think that's just how Cowherd admits he's wrong. He goes all in on the player when he realizes they're actually good. He did something similar with Joe Burrow.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ever since 2020, he might be the biggest Josh Allen fan.  Except maybe Kyle Brandt.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/1838263875715

Agreed. He really came on board in 2020.

And what's also interesting is that he mocked Josh to us in his final mock draft in 2018. I think the pick clearly worked out in a way he never expected.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Nobody except a few sharp eyed Bills fans came around on Allen halfway through his second year

Eh you could see it even on his preseason tape and his rookie year. Even then you could tell Allen was going to be entertaining. He might not have been good, that was still TBD, but like Fitz he was gonna try and win you the game when it mattered. That’s what I loved about him when he was rookie. He was gonna try and cash that check, even if he couldn’t. 

• Like (+1) 2

This sounds corny as hell, but my heart swells and I get a tear in my eye when I listen to Josh talk about Buffalo, his teammates, and what it means to be a Bill. 

We are truly lucky to have such a wonderful human being as the face of our franchise. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't and I'm sure Josh doesn't take it personally...

Josh is a very interesting person.

One paradox is that he's always had to fight to earn respect and he freely admits that he has a chip on his shoulder from past slights. The level of disrespect he has endured is well-documented and he says that it motivates him.

And yet Josh doesn't seem to have so much as a single bitter bone in his body and he definitely does not strike me as a grudge holder, like so many people are.

Josh seems like too happy a person to harbor negative emotions for very long and so I still haven't figured out what makes him tick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Josh is a very interesting person.

One paradox is that he's always had to fight to earn respect and he freely admits that he has a chip on his shoulder from past slights. The level of disrespect he has endured is well-documented and he says that it motivates him.

And yet Josh doesn't seem to have so much as a single bitter bone in his body and he definitely does not strike me as a grudge holder, like so many people are.

Josh seems like too happy a person to harbor negative emotions for very long and so I still haven't figured out what makes him tick.

Totally different guy inside those white lines. There are actually many players like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Take yourself back just six years ago.  Could you ever have imagined that Buffalo might have the face of the NFL playing for them?  The team that put Jeff Tuel under center?  Or famously started Bruce Mathison, Nebraska QB.

8 minutes ago, wjag said:

Take yourself back just six years ago.  Could you ever have imagined that Buffalo might have the face of the NFL playing for them?  The team that put Jeff Tuel under center?  Or famously started Bruce Mathison, Nebraska QB.

Pretty crazy to think about. Have to pinch myself sometimes. We deserve it though. Whatever the ultimate outcome is, it sure is fun watching him play QB for the Bills 

16 hours ago, TBBills said:

Great interview OP, thanks for sharing.  For the record, I have started watching Colin Cowherd a bit more recently, and have been presently surprised.  He is much more level headed with his takes, and does a good job making his points. This is unrelated to anything he says about the Bills, just general sports talk.  

14 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Pretty crazy to think about. Have to pinch myself sometimes. We deserve it though. Whatever the ultimate outcome is, it sure is fun watching him play QB for the Bills 

It is kind of crazy that we went through so long without even having a long term starter, franchise level Quarterback to an absolute beast of an elite QB. I don't believe in karma but if I did you'd say Josh evens out all the years of sucking so bad at the position. 

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Great interview OP, thanks for sharing.  For the record, I have started watching Colin Cowherd a bit more recently, and have been presently surprised.  He is much more level headed with his takes, and does a good job making his points. This is unrelated to anything he says about the Bills, just general sports talk.  

I think he has always been decent on Fox. Never watched or heard him on ESPN. Doesn't mean I always agree with his takes, but he actually tries to reason his opinions even when he is wrong. He is never just "oh X sucks" or "oh X is great." And he is pretty entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is kind of crazy that we went through so long without even having a long term starter, franchise level Quarterback to an absolute beast of an elite QB. I don't believe in karma but if I did you'd say Josh evens out all the years of sucking so bad at the position. 

Agreed.  And the best is yet to come.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he has always been decent on Fox. Never watched or heard him on ESPN. Doesn't mean I always agree with his takes, but he actually tries to reason his opinions even when he is wrong. He is never just "oh X sucks" or "oh X is great." And he is pretty entertaining. 

He does a good job.  He knows he has to be entertaining, and he exaggerates some, but he watches the games and he thinks about what's happening.  And he gets interesting guests.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Totally different guy inside those white lines. There are actually many players like that.

That’s not far off most competitive athletes.  I remember when I was wrestling as a youth or as a national level powerlifter into my 30’s, I’d like to think I’m a nice guy to my fellow man, but when you get on the mat, it’s my job to put my opponent down and pin his ars.  I’d always help to guy up after and be humble.

The great ones k ow how to turn on a switch.  I’m not putting myself in The great category, but I’d put Josh there.

To think we may be watching our next HOF Bill in the making is just remarkable.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I must have missed it.  What did they say?

At the end, Cowherd started talking about how great Wyoming is, to which Josh said something like "Oh, you must be talking about Jackson." They both then talked about how great Jackson is and how awesome it is being so close to the Tetons, all of which is true (despite it being an insanely expensive place).

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.