Bills “trying to run the clock out” on Tre’Davious White PUP list decision

HOUSE

image.png.400d12ef832a576ed7c26470992680ab.png

That prospect is weighing on Bills General Manager Brandon Beane when it comes to deciding whether or not to activate cornerback Tre'Davious White before the cut to 53 players next week.

We’re trying to run out the clock here . . . We don’t have the final answer. I can’t sit here and say, ‘He’s going to be here on this day,'” Beane said, via Joe Buscaglia of TheAthletic.com.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/23/bills-trying-to-run-the-clock-out-on-tredavious-white-pup-list-decision/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

I would rather they didn’t rush him. We likely won’t really need to until the 2nd half of the season. 

Why do you think they are rushing him? People heal differently, he could be on the Adrian Peterson side of the ledger. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's getting to the point where it's pretty obvious he won't make the Rams game.  He will be missed.

But the next 3 are against Tannehill, Tua and Lamar.  Not the biggest outside and deep passing threats.

Bills getting Tre back after game 4 won't be too bad.  At least it won't be against Mahomes and Rodgers.

Get him healthy if need be, it's a long season.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Why wouldn't they use all the time possible before making the decision? They don't really gain anything by making it early.

This right here ^^^

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

The fact that they are waiting so long seems to suggest he’s close and they think he could potentially be ready for the start of the season. That’s positive news for sure! 

Absolutely.  Putting him on the PUP makes him unavailable for several weeks. Sounds like they think he may be available in the first few weeks of the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Have a feeling he's back after the week 7 buy, just in time to play the Packers.

And why do you have this "feeling"?  Do you have sort of knowledge the coaches and medical staff don't?  They're mulling over if they will even need to PUP him for 4 weeks, and you're just writing him off for 7 because...?

• Agree 1

Do people really believe the Bills decision makers, doctors  and Whites representatives would allow for a “rushing him back” scenario to take place ?

If he plays week one it’s because he’s been deemed 100% ready for football.

• Agree 1

rather have Tre be fully healthy,  no timetable.   just heal up fully.    cut somebody, make some space and go sign Haden if Tre cant be ready for the first however many games.

Tre is too good of a player to put back on the field too early and reinjure himself.   get him ready for the postseason if need be.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

we actually need our best players for every game. Why wouldn't we need him until 2nd half?

Well the first 4 games we have Rams (matters but not as much with non- conference).

Then titans, Miami, Baltimore. 

Titans and Baltimore don't have great receivers anymore and Miami has great receivers but Tua at qb.

I think we can live without him for a few weeks even though I'd rather have him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I would almost rather he not play in week 1. Even though it's the exciting NFL season opener, the Rams game is the least important game on our schedule. If we had to choose one game that the Bills were guaranteed to lose it would be this one. Give White a little extra time to rehab and make sure he's good to go for more important games.

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

The fact that they are waiting so long seems to suggest he’s close and they think he could potentially be ready for the start of the season. That’s positive news for sure! 

My only nitpick with this idea is that PUP means he’s out 4 weeks. So even if they know he’ll miss weeks 1 and 2, they still might think it’s worth keeping him on the 53 if there’s any reasonable chance he plays in week 3 or even 4. He’s a captain and arguably their best defensive player when healthy. One week of Tre is probably worth more to the Bills than 4 weeks of Cam Lewis or whomever. 

But I agree with the broader point: if they knew Tre was probably going to miss 4 weeks or more no matter what, he’s already be on PUP. And Beane has generally been a straight shooter when he actually says something. They clearly don’t know for sure when he’ll be back, but they think September is realistic. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, nucci said:

we actually need our best players for every game. Why wouldn't we need him until 2nd half?

2nd half of the season is arguably more important than the 1st half, especially leading into the post-season. If you rush a player coming off a major injury, you may set yourself for another one. Plus, it’s going to take awhile before he gets back into game shape considering the number of games he’s already missed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Cash said:

My only nitpick with this idea is that PUP means he’s out 4 weeks. So even if they know he’ll miss weeks 1 and 2, they still might think it’s worth keeping him on the 53 if there’s any reasonable chance he plays in week 3 or even 4. He’s a captain and arguably their best defensive player when healthy. One week of Tre is probably worth more to the Bills than 4 weeks of Cam Lewis or whomever. 

But I agree with the broader point: if they knew Tre was probably going to miss 4 weeks or more no matter what, he’s already be on PUP. And Beane has generally been a straight shooter when he actually says something. They clearly don’t know for sure when he’ll be back, but they think September is realistic. 

Players on PUP cannot practice with the team.  So, if they put him on the list, he would be eligible to come back after week 4, and he can be activated and play, or remain inactive and begin practicing with the team.   They have 21 days at that point to activate him.  It is highly unlikely, like 0% probability, that the Bills would play White without practice time. 2 or 3 weeks of practice is likely.  The Bye is week 7.

i am sure they are hoping that Tre will be ready to work out with the team and begin practicing in the next few weeks.  In that case it would make sense to keep him off PUP and carry him on the active roster.  If that is not the case, and they resort to a PUP designation, you are probably looking at week 8. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Nothing new here. I'd be shocked if he didn't miss the first 4 games at least.

They would ***** around if that was the case.

What it should tell everyone is he is very close to taking part in football activities.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I would rather they didn’t rush him. We likely won’t really need to until the 2nd half of the season. 

Considering the first half of season is a lot tougher I disagree.  If he can play let him play with a limited snap count and examination by doctor after every game.

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Have a feeling he's back after the week 7 buy, just in time to play the Packers.

Only Pat(riot)s get a week 7 buy paid for out of Krafty's pocket.

1 hour ago, Cash said:

if they knew he would be available week 5 he would not be on 4 week PUP list since he could not practice with team.

Bills can keep him inactive each week rather than another player allowing him to practice at his own, NFLPA mandated slower pace, until he is ready for live snaps.

I do not think the #53 player is worth putting him on PUP list especially with PS callups.

There's a good chance this team is sitting around .500 after the first half of the season given the schedule and how many good QB/offenses we face.

We don't need to rush him, but we also should have adequately addressed the DB position in FA instead of relying on rookies, including a 1st rounder that doesn't look like he's ready to make a meaningful contribution right away and whose career could be adversely impacted by forcing him into the lineup against some of the league's elite QB/WR combos we are going to see in the first half of the season.

As for the continued word salad from McD/Beane/etc they know he's likely not ready and won't be any time soon hence the 'run out the clock' type of comment because once he is put on PUP or IR they don't have to answer media questions anytime soon.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

And why do you have this "feeling"?  Do you have sort of knowledge the coaches and medical staff don't?  They're mulling over if they will even need to PUP him for 4 weeks, and you're just writing him off for 7 because...?

Didn't say I know. Definitely didn't say I know something the coaches or medical staff don't, or you or anyone else for that matter. Said it's a "feeling". Reading what little info we all have to go on like everyone else. It was more than just an ACL, also a miniscus, he's not been seen out doing the rehab since late July (doesn't mean it isn't happening), Bills have been known to take it slowly bringing guys back from injury according to the news reports, PUP could take him out 4 weeks, 2 more games missed gets them to the week 7 buy. That buy gives them 2 weeks to run him through practices and get ready for the next game. Packers is a huge home game. That's the thought behind the "feeling" & yes it's guess work. But as you point out none of us are the coaches or medical staff in the know, so I guess we're all guessing and opining our own "feelings" about this until they tell us. Could be back week 1 or 4 or 7. Really, really hope it's week 1, we'll see. Go Bills.

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

No need to give the Rams and other teams any info about his condition until we have to.

The Bills have arguably the best medical and sports science staff in the league.

Whatever the doctors and medical staff say, I trust them.

If I had to bet money on it, I'd guess he starts the season on PUP, misses the first four games, and returns in week five. In that case, I think Jackson, Elam, and Benford will be good enough to get us through until White is back on the field.

If he wasn't on the positive side of the 4 weeks, as the coaches and trainers see it, why would they be wasting roster spots on him during the cutdown time? There is some serious depth here that they could have taken an extra week on. For instance they could have kept Ford for this week's game if they thought he was going to be a cut or trade.

I think this is actually positive news.

3 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

The first half of the schedule is the toughest and  that is when we could really use him  , 

I don’t want to rush him but if he’s ready to go week one LETS GOOOO !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

2nd half of the season is arguably more important than the 1st half, especially leading into the post-season. If you rush a player coming off a major injury, you may set yourself for another one. Plus, it’s going to take awhile before he gets back into game shape considering the number of games he’s already missed.

I'm not saying rush him. But it's wrong to say we'll be ok if he misses the 1st half of the season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.