Howard Simon "Winding down" from WGR

CountDorkula

14 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

WGR gets a lot of criticism on these boards. Some is deserved, some is not. To each his, her, or their own. We don't all like the same things. Personally, I like Howard and Jeremy and thought they work(ed) well together. Howard is like your favorite pair of old, ratty shoes...not flashy or stylish and probably garners some strange looks from others but oddly comforting and soothing once you slip them on. It will be strange not hearing him anymore but, apparently, he will still be coming on air during Bills season for 'Howard Picks The Bills'. Life goes on. I hope he enjoys his retirement as everyone should if/when given the chance. Thanks for the memories, Howard.:beer:

Agree. I listen to the morning show a day behind via the podcast versions on my way to work over here in the UK and I will miss him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Congratulations & well wishes to Howard. I think his pairing with JW worked extremely well, I wasn't a loyal listener to their show by any stretch, but when I would listen, I thought the juxtaposition of Howard vs. the stat-driven, Gen-X JW helped to moderate both styles.

I feel like Sal should move into that role. The question is whether he would relish that over giving up the beat/sideline gig. But he's done the late morning stuff for awhile, and so maybe he's getting closer to wanting a larger studio role vs what he does now.

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I would love to see Sal move in there, but my bet is it'll be Joe.

And see, I feel that's a mistake. Slide Joe to the late morning if you want to reward him. Sal's enough of a "man of the people" to balance it out on the morning show.

• Agree 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:59 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

WGR has some really good ones like Jeremy and Sal and some awful ones like a few who have been mentioned here many times….the ultimate meltdown if someone like Thad Brown got the job and spent the whole time trashing Allen like his Twitter feed 

Eh I like Sal but he's a bit of a Homer sometimes

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Congratulations & well wishes to Howard. I think his pairing with JW worked extremely well, I wasn't a loyal listener to their show by any stretch, but when I would listen, I thought the juxtaposition of Howard vs. the stat-driven, Gen-X JW helped to moderate both styles.

I feel like Sal should move into that role. The question is whether he would relish that over giving up the beat/sideline gig. But he's done the late morning stuff for awhile, and so maybe he's getting closer to wanting a larger studio role vs what he does now.

While Sal is a big part of WGR he also has a lot of side gigs. I think being locked in to mornings would limit his other interests.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Then what's on second?

Exactly,

42 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Eh I like Sal but he's a bit of a Homer sometimes

I like Sal as well but he is a homer all the time. He only gets into detailed analysis when the conclusion of that work is supportive of the Bills. When digging a little deeper would present a less rosey picture he falls right back on "guys, none of us know" or constant cliches.

• Agree 2

Personally I’ll wish Howard continues on a one hour contract a week if Howard Picks the Bills on Tuesday mornings.  That would be fun.

he’s a great guy and a staple.  The criticism needs to be tabled, as he was good for Buffalo and made me want to listen to WGR 30 years after leaving my beloved home on South Park avenue.

• Agree 1

Sorry to see Howard hang them up.  A prince of a man imho.

He is that unique person who can transplant himself to a new town and flourish.  Left NYC area for Buff State and never moved back. Part of the reason he could do it is he never took himself too seriously - see his "foods never eaten" and "Howard picks the Bills" routines as examples.  He was a steadying force in local Bills coverage.  Jeremy White and him had real chemistry too.  There is not a mean or vindictive bone in Howard's body.  I will miss him.

Jerry Sullivan was the counterpoint here - a transplant I wished back to RI many times.

2 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

Congrats Howard on a great career! I have fond memories of the Empire days and occasional rants. You will be missed. 

With respect to his successor, I’d love to see them bring in some fresh blood to pair with Jeremy. Someone from outside the existing WGR family.  

Jerry Sullivan would add some spice to the morning. 😬

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.