Howard Simon "Winding down" from WGR

CountDorkula

9 minutes ago, Buffalosouth said:

Schoop and Bulldog are brutal. At least during the drought the anger and distain could entertain sometimes. 

Some hosts I feel are made for certain environments. Schoop and Bulldog had a far more entertaining but seemingly thought out show when the drought exists. These days they feel like the same thing day in day out so I only tune in occasionally.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Howard for the most part. He, like all radio jocks, can be annoying to listen to sometimes.

I’ve only called in to WGR twice in my life, and the one time I called him he hung up on me and called me crazy. 😀

It was when Jarius Byrd was tagged and it was passed the date when Byrd could sign a long term deal for the season. He was going on about how if Byrd doesn’t show up to play, than the Bills simply trade him for a first or second round pick. 

I called in to say that there is no team in their right mind that would pay anywhere near that to stand in our shoes at that point. Because he couldn’t sign long term with anyone at that point, he would have to play under the tag and he would become a free agent at the end of the season, or they would have to tag him a second time to try and negotiate a deal to keep him. And of course, the price goes up substantially for that second tag. 

He told me that they could simply negotiate a deal under the table and have a verbal agreement to execute the deal in the new league year.  I responded that would be an unenforceable verbal contract which could not be enforced. It’s kind of like trying press charges against the guy who stole your weed. (Well, at least back in the day. 😇)

He said oh come on, they do it all of the time. I said that I had no knowledge or proof of that, but any lawyer knows it would be an unenforceable contract unless both parties agree to sign it at the later time, but either party could refuse and that would be the end of it. 

Anyway, I said again that the Bills would be lucky to get any draft compensation at all under those circumstances. And if they were

that lucky, it certainly wouldn’t be for a first or second given that they would only be trading for the right to stand in our shoes. He called me crazy and hung up on me.

I’ve often thought about calling him and asking him to remind me of who it was we got for that draft choice for which we traded Byrd while he was on the tag.  But I’m not all that vindictive. 

Edited by BuffaloBob

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

WGR is a classic example of a station and staff that has been coasting for years due to lack of real competition. Doing local sports radio well is expensive, and no other Buffalo broadcaster is going to make that investment to take on WGR.

The guys like cover 1 and buffalo fanatics are doing their best to force the issue. Small market small coverage?

2 minutes ago, Buffalosouth said:

The guys like cover 1 and buffalo fanatics are doing their best to force the issue. Small market small coverage?

The entire radio/listening world is different now whether big or small. The ability to pick content whether it is through podcast or a station in an outside market has made everything more competitive. WGR is the flagship station for both teams right now so I think that in itself makes things easier for them, but even so there are more options then ever to listen to. Podcasts like Cover 1 are superb as they can focus in a way a radio station really can't. Radio has to have the ability to entertain, converse with listeners, and produce content that can mix adds in. For as many people like us who would listen to Cover 1, there are many who just want casual which is fine too so the radio cannot fully cater to that type of coverage even if quality wise it is superior.

• Like (+1) 1

It's so obvious how old everyone on this website is. Howard is good and I will miss him but Jeremy carries the show. Sal is boring and a total homer. People hate Schopp because he was one of the few honest hosts during the drought, when people were optimistic he would shoot them down. But he was right!! Joe and people like him will be the reason that the network lives after Schopp and Jeremy are gone.

8 minutes ago, CamDMC said:

It's so obvious how old everyone on this website is. Howard is good and I will miss him but Jeremy carries the show. Sal is boring and a total homer. People hate Schopp because he was one of the few honest hosts during the drought, when people were optimistic he would shoot them down. But he was right!! Joe and people like him will be the reason that the network lives after Schopp and Jeremy are gone.

Actually, the reason the network “lives on”, is no competition. It doesn’t matter who they roll out behind the mic, or what they talk about, some folks will tune in daily.  Why?  I have no idea. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The entire radio/listening world is different now whether big or small. The ability to pick content whether it is through podcast or a station in an outside market has made everything more competitive. WGR is the flagship station for both teams right now so I think that in itself makes things easier for them, but even so there are more options then ever to listen to. Podcasts like Cover 1 are superb as they can focus in a way a radio station really can't. Radio has to have the ability to entertain, converse with listeners, and produce content that can mix adds in. For as many people like us who would listen to Cover 1, there are many who just want casual which is fine too so the radio cannot fully cater to that type of coverage even if quality wise it is superior.

Great point. Another reason why I tune into wgr is that it gives  a feeling of "back home" being out of state. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Your dad was right. He definitely had an axe to grind. 

Even so, his knowledge made up for it.

Dickerson's axe to grind was more with Levy for firing him IIRC?

3 hours ago, MWK said:

Sal is ok, but he won’t ever say anything bad about a player. Last week he was talking about how shocking it was that we cut those two corners like they actually had a chance to make it. I think he thinks he’s part of the team since he can talk to the players regularly. He also loses all credibility the moment he starts talking about how he played high school football. When you do that, you just sound like a loser.

Just like when Paul talks about his "college hockey" days playing club hockey at Iowa St as reasons he "knows the game of hockey."

PHam definitely wants to give the impression he played against Minnesota/BU or something.

• Agree 1

My most vivid memory of Howard Simon is the post-game coverage of the Music City Miracle on Empire Sports Network.  I was on my knees begging that Howard was going to announce "Wait a minute...the officials are sending the teams back on the field because they've realized they f___ked up the call!".  Or at least some sort of explanation or comfort. He looked as shocked and heartbroken as me and my dad, and he did his best.  I wish him the very best.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

I like Howard for the most part. He, like all radio jocks, can be annoying to listen to sometimes.

I’ve only called in to WGR twice in my life, and the one time I called him he hung up on me and called me crazy. 😀

It was when Jarius Byrd was tagged and it was passed the date when Byrd could sign a long term deal for the season. He was going on about how if Byrd doesn’t show up to play, than the Bills simply trade him for a first or second round pick. 

I called in to say that there is no team in their right mind that would pay anywhere near that to stand in our shoes at that point. Because he couldn’t sign long term with anyone at that point, he would have to play under the tag and he would become a free agent at the end of the season, or they would have to tag him a second time to try and negotiate a deal to keep him. And of course, the price goes up substantially for that second tag. 

He told me that they could simply negotiate a deal under the table and have a verbal agreement to execute the deal in the new league year.  I responded that would be an unenforceable verbal contract which could not be enforced. It’s kind of like trying press charges against the guy who stole your weed. (Well, at least back in the day. 😇)

He said oh come on, they do it all of the time. I said that I had no knowledge or proof of that, but any lawyer knows it would be an unenforceable contract unless both parties agree to sign it at the later time, but either party could refuse and that would be the end of it. 

Anyway, I said again that the Bills would be lucky to get any draft compensation at all under those circumstances. And if they were

that lucky, it certainly wouldn’t be for a first or second given that they would only be trading for the right to stand in our shoes. He called me crazy and hung up on me.

I’ve often thought about calling him and asking him to remind me of who it was we got for that draft choice for which we traded Byrd while he was on the tag.  But I’m not all that vindictive. 

I'm confused - is Howard retiring or are you retiring from calling in?  Lol - in all seriousness, I'll miss Howard - he went to High School with my wife in Long Island, though don't know each other 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

I admit it. I was President of the 'we drafted the wrong Josh" club. Never been happier to be that wrong. 

I think I was the chair person.

I think more than Josh's actual talent. We FINALLY have people who know how to develop people they draft if they want to work. Also people who are drafting are actually drafting after doing actual leg work not just watching YouTube highlights and listening for buzz words.

8 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I remember well the Monday "Howard and Jeremy Show" following the 2018 NFL Draft, and Simon practically whining that we drafted the wrong Josh. He was lamenting the Bills didn't draft Josh Rosen, and spouting innuendo about Josh Allen's character. I think Simon is overrated and I won't miss him at all. I hope Sal takes his place.

😘

The guys on wgr really arnt that bad. I listen quite a bit, and I can tell you they are generally light years better than sports talk radio in Rochester. There's a few guys in Rochester that I really question how they even have jobs,  let alone for years and years 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

You just described Nate Geary.

I cringe and turn the radio station whenever he comes on.

His political hot takes on Twitter are even worse.  If he wants to make it as any kind of reputable sports talk person he needs to chill out on Twitter with the political crap.  

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Agree 1

The most painful thing is when Bulldog has to do a show alone.  You can clearly hear that he feels like it is the worst day of his life.

He cannot carry a show.  Stammers around uncomfortably about some hand-picked basic, broad topic he tees up for himself.  

Other personalities from the station come on to help him run out the clock because they feel bad for him.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.