Howard Simon "Winding down" from WGR

CountDorkula

On 8/22/2022 at 11:23 AM, Sargent Hulka said:

I remember well the Monday "Howard and Jeremy Show" following the 2018 NFL Draft, and Simon practically whining that we drafted the wrong Josh. He was lamenting the Bills didn't draft Josh Rosen, and spouting innuendo about Josh Allen's character. I think Simon is overrated and I won't miss him at all. I hope Sal takes his place.

I was just listening to this the other day.  Howard and Jeremy sounded really bummed LOL

O

Don’t be so hard on Howard.  His schtick gets a little old at times with the diet, the memory loss, etc., but overall seems to be a decent guy.  Jeremy usually has more information and does more research on topics.

It won’t be Sal though.  He already does his early morning 20 minutes, the extra point show, it always football bla bla podcast with Bove, and all the articles he writes.

The move is more likely Joe Dibiasi making it permanent at the 6 am and extra point show so I hope you guys like him as he’s now on from 6am to Noon.  Joe seems ok, but 6 hours is a lot.  At least he does do his hw. On Bills topics.

You know Howard I think just turned 60. I don’t blame a guy for wanting to go part time after all these years.

Hes a heck of a lot better than those tools in The afternoon.  Trust me these guys are better on the Bills than someone of the goofballs on the local Tampa sports radio show.

• 5 months later...

I am devastated while not surprised and happy for him.

He is the last of local media that is the old guard that wasn't an expert on sports, but could really capture the sentiment of where things stand while keeping emotions in check. I love Jeremy because he is incredibly smart and talented and very knowledgeable in sports. Howard balanced him by being more of a fan just with more steady straight forward observations and that just doesn't exist anymore. So many young reporters and hosts have to be expert know it alls and miss the average fan which is many many people who do listen.

Nate Geary would be a disaster that may force me to turn off the air if they go that direction. I honestly hope it is an outside hire instead.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

He is the last of local media that is the old guard that wasn't an expert on sports, but could really capture the sentiment of where things stand while keeping emotions in check. I love Jeremy because he is incredibly smart and talented and very knowledgeable in sports. Howard balanced him by being more of a fan just with more steady straight forward observations and that just doesn't exist anymore. So many young reporters and hosts have to be expert know it alls and miss the average fan which is many many people who do listen.

Nate Geary would be a disaster that may force me to turn off the air if they go that direction. I honestly hope it is an outside hire instead.

WGR gets a lot of criticism on these boards. Some is deserved, some is not. To each his, her, or their own. We don't all like the same things. Personally, I like Howard and Jeremy and thought they work(ed) well together. Howard is like your favorite pair of old, ratty shoes...not flashy or stylish and probably garners some strange looks from others but oddly comforting and soothing once you slip them on. It will be strange not hearing him anymore but, apparently, he will still be coming on air during Bills season for 'Howard Picks The Bills'. Life goes on. I hope he enjoys his retirement as everyone should if/when given the chance. Thanks for the memories, Howard.:beer:

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, corta765 said:

He is the absolute worst. Anything he's on is an automatic changing of the station. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Very sad to see this one.   Howard never knew the most intricate pieces of the sports he was covering, he wasn't diving into the analytics but man did he have the biggest heart.   He understood the emotion of sports, and felt like a part of the family.   I moved to Buffalo in 2001 and started listening to him while Empire was still on air.    Since then I've moved back home, started my career, got married, and had children.   A lot has changed but I never stopped listening to Howard.     Well done Howard.   Hope you enjoy a long retirement.

• Like (+1) 2

Congratulations first and foremost to Howard!! Need a great listen to over the years! Always enjoyed how he seemed more like us fans and seemed to speak from the heart and not so much about the stats and nuances so to speak! Will miss him and hope he can smile looking back on a great career!! Well done!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.