Deshaun Watson to be suspended 11 games via settlement

YoloinOhio

On 8/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, HappyDays said:

What a coincidence, he makes it back just in time to face his old team in a game that nobody would have watched otherwise. The almighty dollar wins again.

eh, no one is watching that anyway.  

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

It would but it wont happen.  There are many browns fans that just dont care and dont believe he did anything wrong.

well, there are also other players on that team that did nothing wrong, I’d assume that the average browns fan is not cool with Watson or what he did.  

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The Browns just instantly became the most hated team in the league. I can’t imagine they have any fans outside of Cleveland. The chants at Browns away games this year should be pretty great. I hope that team crashes and burns. A QB who hasn’t played meaningful football in over 2 years? Maybe he forgot how to play and is terrible. Just wish all the worst for that organization and their QB. 

The Browns are and were my most hated team before all this.  Now I want them to go 8-9 every year so they won't be in position for a high first round pick.

They won't have one for the next two years anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good for Kyle and anyone else speaking up about this. No matter what you say it's been 'you're racist' or 'you don't care about women' so much of sports world has stayed out of the way.

Watson is a scumbag and he deserves everything coming to him. Absolutely hope guys on d are taking shots at the knees, amd I hope refs turn an eye to it

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Deshaun Watsons $230 Million guaranteed contract is now down to $225M and he is gonna be down 11 games.  Thank goodness he only sexually assaulted 24 women, could you imagine if he had done something really terrible like take a knee to protest unlawful police violence against minorities? 

Lol if Kaep was as good a QB as Cap’t Tuggypants, his kneeling wouldn’t have been an issue. 

Please stop. 

Kaep’s problem was losing his starting job to Blain Gabbert, not his protest. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, FLFan said:

He was not suspended at all.  He was on the roster and inactive on game days.  

True but if it wasn't for the allegations he would've started for another team last year.  Probably the Fins or Panthers.  I can see how one can make the argument that it was basically paid leave.

Just now, Jerome007 said:

OK. Sorry if I have missed it, long thread, but why did it go from 6 to 11 games?

The NFL appealed the decision so it went to Goodell who appointed someone else to handle the decision that would likely have been harsher. Watson and the NFL ended up settling somewhere in the middle with the 11 games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Wow, respect for Kyle Brandt just ratcheted up

He hit the nail on the head. 

***** your empathy and enabling Watson to do it again.   I'd be more surprised if he doesn't than if he does. 

Edited by The Wiz

3 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Lol if Kaep was as good a QB as Cap’t Tuggypants, his kneeling wouldn’t have been an issue. 

Please stop. 

Haslam said it himself in the interview he just did. Watson got a second chance cause he is a star QB. Kaep's star had faded by the time he became a nuisance.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

All of the women I saw talk about it, on the daily ESPN shows today, are all frustrated by his wavering and still saying he did nothing wrong. He's ruining himself even now. Some of them are frustrated with the NFL also because they believe the ban should have been at least a year. Don't be surprised if the NFL uses his "treatment" as a reason to hold him out even longer if this continues to blow up in their faces. 

4 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Please stop. 

LMAO, so the 4 year non stop outrage and media attacks of Kap were all about him not being a better QB?  What did you live in a cave or something? 

And its pretty disturbing that you basically just implied in your first sentence that because Watson is a better at football that its not really an issue he sexually preys on women and shows no remorse for doing so either.  

Got it champ, nice take 🙄

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And its pretty disturbing that you basically just implied in your first sentence that because Watson is a better at football that its not really an issue he sexually preys on women and shows no remorse for doing so either.  

Got it champ, nice take 🙄

If you haven't watched Rich Eiesen's clip, go watch it. No one is implying anything, Haslam literally said it himself. Watson got a second chance because he is a star QB. Which he followed up by saying someone that wasn't wouldn't get that same opportunity.

Edited by Herc11

11 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

If you haven't watched Rich Eiesen's clip, go watch it. No one is implying anything, Haslam literally said it himself. Watson got a second chance because he is a star QB. Which he followed up by saying someone that wasn't wouldn't get that same opportunity.

He didnt quote Haslem, the poster I responded to made his own statement.  

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didnt quote Haslem, the poster I responded to made his own statement.  

I realize this, but was it false? He was saying what we all already know. Haslam was just an idiot who outright admitted it.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

I realize this, but was it false? He was saying what we all already know. Haslam was just an idiot who outright admitted it.

While there is obviously some truth to teams more willing to go after a controversial player like this based on how good the player is, it's not at all why Kap was black balled, and Watson isn't.

Kap was good enough to be in the NFL, but he was a threat to the NFL's money, because half this country was in an uproar over Kap and threating to boycott or stop watching the NFL over him.  There is no national outrage over Watson despite doing something infinitely worse such as sexually assaulting over 24 women without remorse or accepting responsibility for his actions.  

And the reason is simple.  Both sides of the political aisle and national media politicized Kap because each side got a pop from their base over it.  There is no political value in Watson because he did something that universally is seen as undeniably wrong.  Which is why he isn't being debated nightly in the mainstream media taking opposing sides and rallying each of their bases up.   

Without half the country threatening to boycott the NFL, Watson is not the same threat to the NFL's revenue that Kap was, and that is the real difference in how the two situations have been handled by the NFL.  Watson is more just another short-term PR issue that will just fade away without much consequence to the league, if any.  They just need to make a statement they feel his actions are wrong, and a fine and suspension do just that.  Even if people aren't satisfied with the severity of the punishment, it's not enough to make a lot of the NFL's following walk.  

And that is the sad truth.  Threat to the NFL's money, treated more severely.  Just look at how severe Ridley was punished for something that was so minor compared to what Watson did.  It's because Ridley's actions could lead to things that would jeopardize the leagues integrity which poses a much bigger financial risk for the NFL.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.