Deshaun Watson to be suspended 11 games via settlement

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I was the one that called him out on what he was saying but this isn't even close to what he was saying.

@IronMaidenBills made a point from his perspective, although poorly, about how these things are socially acceptable in other countries.  

He made a point that the decision was wrong and Watson was definitely in the wrong.  @IronMaidenBills does live in a different world (assuming they live in Thailand or Vietnam or somewhere in southeast Asia) so I don't think offering their opinion about stuff that goes on in that part of the world means they agree with anything that is happening here (as they stated).

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Sometimes no. You get random people pleasuring themselves, but it’s a live sex place so you kind of just have to ignore it. I’ve had conversations with Vietnamese women and they says non consensual actions get flaunted all the time. Generally low assault like flashing, but rarely anything forceful. 

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yes, as an American, but go to Vietnam or most other places and you will get that and more customarily. Not saying Watson isn’t scummy, but it’s amazing how much different this is when you talk all over the world. 

Not going to have an argument with you but look very carefully at what this guy is saying.

Vietnam has a known problem with child prostitution, sex trafficking, and forced prostitution.  So what exactly does it mean if the kind of thing Watson did is "socially acceptable" in Vietnam (and other countries like Vietnam - Thailand, Eastern Europe, etc)?

You do the math

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, VaMilBill said:

An additional item I hate on top of everything else in this situation is Watson now gets to get “revenge” on the Texans. I thought he should be suspended for a year, at least, but 11 games is odd. He shouldn’t have been afforded that opportunity and I wish Goodell took a stand at 12 games minimum. 

11 isn’t odd when you factor in he needs 6 games for his giant guarantee to kick in next year as opposed to 2 years from now. The league caved, they should be ashamed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, VaMilBill said:

An additional item I hate on top of everything else in this situation is Watson now gets to get “revenge” on the Texans. I thought he should be suspended for a year, at least, but 11 games is odd. He shouldn’t have been afforded that opportunity and I wish Goodell took a stand at 12 games minimum. 

I saw that too, it is being lumped into all the “revenge” games - Wilson vs Seattle, Baker vs Cleveland, Deshaun vs Houston. It’s tone deaf and stupid to coin that game that way. This whole thing is a brownsy distaster headed up by the lead circus clown jimmy Haslam. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So I have been trying to figure out how to absorb all of this Deshaun Watson crap, because I really don’t think he should be allowed to play in the league until he shows true remorse, and demonstrates that he actually understands why what he did is unacceptable.  I also believe the Browns put football above human decency, by supporting him, despite his refusal to admit fault, or the willingness to change. 

All of this pondering has lead me to believe that Cleveland really does not deserve an NFL franchise.  They have had decades that prove they can handle an NFL franchise, and have failed time and again.  That organization has no class, and needs to be re-located, or removed once again.   

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2022/08/18/deshaun-watson-suspension/

There are two reasons that everyone was able to agree on the length of this suspension. The first has to do with Watson’s contract, as Austin Gayle of The Ringer points out.

Deshaun Watson needs to have full-play status in six games in 2022 to accrue a season. That's why the suspension is 11 games.

If it was longer, Cleveland would only have to pay $1M in base salary for Watson in 2023.

— Austin Gayle (@austingayle_) August 18, 2022

The second reason? Well, Watson’s first game back will be on Sunday, December 4, in Week 13, against the Houston Texans, Watson’s former team. The NFL did not want to miss that ratings opportunity.

Whatever you think Watson’s punishment should have been, the severity and multiplicity of his alleged offenses make this particular sentence look awfully light.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw that too, it is being lumped into all the “revenge” games - Wilson vs Seattle, Baker vs Cleveland, Deshaun vs Houston. It’s tone deaf and stupid to coin that game that way. This whole thing is a brownsy distaster headed up by the lead circus clown jimmy Haslam. 

Anything to set up situations / storylines to try to boost viewer ratings. Shameless.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

yes. It’s ridiculous. Mind you, if he was suspended 12 games or more (much more would have been the right thing to do) his contract would have tolled, but, he still gets $44mil and change this year in signing bonus. So with 11 games he’s losing practically nothing. Now, his $1mil base salary is chopped 11/17th. Wow, what a punishment. And the scumbag still claims complete innocence while the owner stands right next to him contradicting that. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

11 isn’t odd when you factor in he needs 6 games for his giant guarantee to kick in next year as opposed to 2 years from now. The league caved, they should be ashamed.

The six games requirement rumor being floated out there for the contract to kick in is not accurate.  As long as he wasn't suspended the whole season the contract would've kicked in this year even if he was suspended for example 16 out of the 17 games.  The confusion appears to be that six games is required for a qualifying year for free agency which doesn't apply to Watson.

The Browns pry would've been better off having him suspended the whole season as now they'll have a 54 million dollar cap hit next year instead of one million.  Good luck winning with that cap hit and no first round pick(s) for the next two seasons.  This seemed like more of a punishment of Haslam and the Browns organization as opposed to Watson.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

all my life I’ve never wished to have injury on any football player (or any athlete really); it’s bush league and scummy. Not even Brady when he was stomping us. I am wavering with this guy.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The six games requirement rumor being floated out there for the contract to kick in is not accurate.  As long as he wasn't suspended the whole season the contract would've kicked in this year even if he was suspended for example 16 out of the 17 games.  The confusion appears to be that six games is required for a qualifying year for free agency which doesn't apply to Watson.

The Browns pry would've been better off having him suspended the whole season as now they'll have a 54 million dollar cap hit next year instead of one million.  Good luck winning with that cap hit and no first round pick(s) for the next two seasons.  This seemed like more of a punishment of Haslam and the Browns organization as opposed to Watson.

that’s very interesting I have not seen that reported anywhere (but NFL media has been wrong about these sort of things en masse before.) so he would have needed to play only 1 game this season for the contract and its guarantees not to toll?

Edited by JoPoy88

19 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s very interesting I have not seen that reported anywhere (but NFL media has been wrong about these sort of things en masse before.) so he would have needed to play only 1 game this season for the contract and its guarantees not to toll?

As long as he wasn't suspended the full season the contract would kick in this season.  Common sense says that if he was suspended 12 games he wouldn't play five for free.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

all my life I’ve never wished to have injury on any football player (or any athlete really); it’s bush league and scummy. Not even Brady when he was stomping us. I am wavering with this guy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/18/a-full-season-deshaun-watson-suspension-may-have-been-better-for-the-browns/

They also debunk the 11 game theory. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Maybe but I think the Browns would rather have Watson play as soon as possible to get the reps and put that circus behind them. 

I'd rather him be available to play the entire length of his contract considering I'm paying him 46 million a year.  They're basically paying Watson about 30 million to do nothing this season.

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

that’s great info thank you. Makes me think maybe, just maybe, the league was more amenable to a less than a season suspension because the other owners are clearly PO’ed at the contract Haslem gave him. 

17 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s great info thank you. Makes me think maybe, just maybe, the league was more amenable to a less than a season suspension because the other owners are clearly PO’ed at the contract Haslem gave him. 

The NFL was afraid of what would happen if they didn't accept this deal, clearly. There are several owners with a whole lot of skeletons in the closet.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The NFL was afraid of what would happen if they didn't accept this deal, clearly. There are several owners with a whole lot of skeletons in the closet.

They were afraid that Goodell's much trumpeted new discipline process which is protected from external legal process was going to be subject to external legal process. And Goodell didn't want the courts crawling over the extent of his powers again even if it is unlikely the courts wohuld have found in Watson and the PA's favour and reduced any suspension in this particular case. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

absolutely. Snyder being exhibit A. With what he’s already been pretty much proven of doing, if he didn’t have receipts on the rest of these guys he woulda been Sterling’ed out of the league already.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.