Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

36 minutes ago, wppete said:

This reporter sums it all up. Well said! And still no apology or acknowledgement by Sherfter. Disgusting.

The guy puts out metric tons of content live and on Twitter - often breaking the news and not just reframing someone else’s report. Some will be imperfect. It’s not like he trashed the guy in any type of over the top way. He acknowledged that the guy was a great collegiate player but still trying to catch on in the nfl. Is it really worth getting out the pitchforks and torches or is it a little bit less consequential?

who among us has a history without some sort of ill executed but non malicious mistake 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

The guy puts out metric tons of content live and on Twitter - often breaking the news and not just reframing someone else’s report. Some will be imperfect. It’s not like he trashed the guy in any type of over the top way. He acknowledged that the guy was a great collegiate player but still trying to catch on in the nfl. Is it really worth getting out the pitchforks and torches or is it a little bit less consequential?

who among us has a history without some sort of ill executed but non malicious mistake 

Totally agree but I think people are looking at that small subset of sensitive  issues he’s tweeted on recently that have miss the mark badly. This and the recent Watson tweet reacting to the grand jury announcements rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The GJ returning no bills on the charges in no way “proves innocence”

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

bUt My FeElInGs WeRe HuRt

Sports ball player dies in horrible event but in scheme of all things this must matter because SPORTS BALL!

(Edit since you know me you know I'm mocking the others and not you... Others won't get that...now they do.)

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Totally agree but I think people are looking at that small subset of sensitive  issues he’s tweeted on recently that have miss the mark badly. This and the recent Watson tweet reacting to the grand jury announcements rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The GJ returning no bills on the charges in no way “proves innocence”

BuT yOuR fACtS dO nOt AlIGn WiTh My FeElInGs.

Seriously? It doesn't prove guilt. And that's all that matters unless you failed civics class and have the basic understanding below a 3rd grade education.

Edited by Boyst62
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Sports ball player dies in horrible event but in scheme of all things this must matter because SPORTS BALL!

(Edit since you know me you know I'm mocking the others and not you... Others won't get that...now they do.)

Seriously? It doesn't prove guilt. And that's all that matters unless you failed civics class and have the basic understanding below a 3rd grade education.

:flirt:

"unless you failed civics class and have the basic understanding below a 3rd grade education"?  seems a little Extra here when you make the comment  "it doesn't prove guilt and that's all that matters" in response to someone else saying "the recent Watson tweet reacting to the grand jury announcements rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The GJ returning no bills on the charges in no way “proves innocence”  ".

A Grand Jury indictment would not prove guilt if they returned a true bill, so saying "it doesn't prove guilt and that's all that matters" is bizarro.  It's like being asked how to make chicken soup and responding "it doesn't contain kumquats and that's all that matters"  Of course it doesn't contain kumquats, it's chicken soup.  Of course it doesn't prove guilt, that's not the point of a True Bill or No Bill from a Grand Jury.

A "no bill" likewise does not mean "Deshaun Watson did not commit any crimes and is not guilty of any offenses" as Watson's lawyer claimed, it just indicates the alleged crime did not have enough supporting evidence to move forward and the case is dismissed.

I believe you probably know this stuff.  Or should I type I bElEIvE yOu pRoBAblY kNoW thIs STufF?

By the way, if you're here to talk football, Welcome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I am pretty ok with even a simple acknowledgment that it’s not a great tweet but of all the things to crusade about….

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, muppy said:

@IronMaidenBills if there were 2 things I can say that may have helped prevent this accident is definitely

!. Have your cell phone in  car while driving at all times...and use it to call police and AAA if stuck on a freeway

2.  If you are broken down on a highway STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE

No. 

Do NOT stay in your vehicle.

We learned in Driver's ed, and most cops will agree:  When you are on the side of the road in a car, ASSUME your car Will get hit from behind. 

Therefore, dont stay in the car.  And dont stand behind the car (the worst possible place).  They taught us to apply the parking brake and then stand in front of the vehicle (1) far enuf that the impact into your car wont crush you, yet (2) not so far that you will get hit by cars which dont smash into the back of yours.

(separately: one of the problems with impaired drivers is that, when they are just trying to make it, they try to blend with traffic.  But impaired, they might fixate on your car to match speeds and, by the time they realize your car is actually not moving, its too late).

Edited by maddenboy
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

:flirt:

"unless you failed civics class and have the basic understanding below a 3rd grade education"?  seems a little Extra here when you make the comment  "it doesn't prove guilt and that's all that matters" in response to someone else saying "the recent Watson tweet reacting to the grand jury announcements rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The GJ returning no bills on the charges in no way “proves innocence”  ".

A Grand Jury indictment would not prove guilt if they returned a true bill, so saying "it doesn't prove guilt and that's all that matters" is bizarro.  It's like being asked how to make chicken soup and responding "it doesn't contain kumquats and that's all that matters"  Of course it doesn't contain kumquats, it's chicken soup.  Of course it doesn't prove guilt, that's not the point of a True Bill or No Bill from a Grand Jury.

A "no bill" likewise does not mean "Deshaun Watson did not commit any crimes and is not guilty of any offenses" as Watson's lawyer claimed, it just indicates the alleged crime did not have enough supporting evidence to move forward and the case is dismissed.

I believe you probably know this stuff.  Or should I type I bElEIvE yOu pRoBAblY kNoW thIs STufF?

By the way, if you're here to talk football, Welcome.

Civics class is one they need to bring back.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

No. 

We learned in Driver's ed, and most cops will agree:  When you are on the side of the road in a car, ASSUME your car Will get hit from behind. 

Therefore, dont stay in the car.  And dont stand behind the car (the worst possible place).  They taught us to apply the parking brake and then stand in front of the vehicle (1) far enuf that the impact into your car wont crush you, yet (2) not so far that you will get hit by cars which dont smash into the back of yours.

(separately: one of the problems with impaired drivers is that, when they are just trying to make it, they try to blend with traffic.  But impaired, they might fixate on your car to match speeds and, by the time they realize your car is actually not moving, its too late).

I respectfully disagree as does this article sourced by the Insurance Information Institute. I have never heard anyone recommend a person  leave the car if disabled on a freeway.

https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/what-to-do-when-car-breaks-down.aspx

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Yikes buddy. Probably should’ve pocketed this reply because you just showed your whole a** (and not a particularly learned one.) That’s okay I think you’re improving.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I tend to agree with you.  I think the amount of blowback he is getting is excessive.  But with that said, when someone is announcing to the world that a professional athlete has passed, it is more important to be compassionate than competitive.  Take a moment to make sure it is informative but respectful instead trying to be first. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s the world we live in today… everyone’s under a microscope with social media.

I agree, and that’s why I am just saying show some tact - allude to the guy’s failed career in Washington

literally any other day other than the day of his death. Adam, glued to twitter 24/7 as per his job, should know better.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

His tweet about Colt Brennan’s passing only included info about Brennan being a great college player - no mention of his many “struggles.”  So, Schefter is, apparently,  capable of better when it suits him.

Edited by purple haze
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, maddenboy said:

No. 

Wow - never heard any of this.  When my daughter just took drivers education - the #1 thing they said with any breakdown on a fast moving road or freeway was do not leave the car.  Stay in even once the cops/tow truck arrives and let them work.  

A car is designed to take an impact and still protect you - outside of the car you are subjected to flying debris as cars go by and exposed to traffic that can hit you.  The wind of the cars rushing by - also can work as a vortex - especially a tractor trailer and try to pull you toward the road (the same phenomenon happens with trains and people wanting to stand close by and end up sucked under).

Edit - thanks @muppy - that is exactly what I thought also.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, muppy said:

I respectfully disagree as does this article sourced by the Insurance Information Institute. I have never heard anyone recommend a person  leave the car if disabled on a freeway.

https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/what-to-do-when-car-breaks-down.aspx

EXACTLY!

Maybe this generation forgets the "Thruway Paper Toll Tickets"... Because of EZ-Pass... Those tickets had printed on them:

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE DURING A BREAKDOWN,  WAIT FOR HELP 

I guess paper is good for somethings. 

My crazy brother, years ago breaks down on Thruway and starts walking.  Gets grazed by a mirror.  He didn't read the paper toll ticket! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

When walking on a fast moving road... Hikers, walkers don't realize the forces,  the amount of drift when walking. 

Divided highways go in one direction.  If anything: Walk against traffic.

Golden Rule:

"Bike with traffic, hike against traffic!"

This is simply lost... Orthodoxy on people today.   People biking against traffic drives me wild! Hiking with it, not as much, but still a "death sentence!"

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, wppete said:

These are disgusting comments by Gil Brandt. Shameful.

Why does anyone give him a microphone? Clearly he has is not at full capacity. Don't allow him to be in a situation where he will do or say things to embarrass himself. The host is just as irresponsible as Gil B.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.