Bills restructure Ryan Bates contract

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

love it and i agree. if we go CB in FA, the draft will be real interesting. really sets the table for us to draft poyer or edmunds replacement (even if those guys ride out the year here, and i hope they do)

This could be upping the ante for the CB.   Setting their sights a little higher than the $3.5M market.

Possibly Fuller.  Maybe trading Epenesa and a 5th for Bradberry (and the Giants eat half the contract).  Or maybe it does take $5M to get Nelson (or whichever one they like most- which I personally hope is not Gilmore).

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

People keep saying that every contract move we make is because “a signing is coming!”.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, but either way…

Does anyone out there honestly still believe that Beane ISN’T gonna sign a cornerback at some point? I think there’s just about ZERO chance that they go into the season with just Dane Jackson and a rookie as serious outside corner candidates.

Yeah. They usually do this earlier before the draft.

My guess is they have four or five or even a few more guys they are still interested in and as long as there are still a smorgasbord available, why hurry when as time passes prices tend to go down.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

People keep saying that every contract move we make is because “a signing is coming!”.

Does anyone out there honestly still believe that Beane ISN’T gonna sign a cornerback at some point? I think there’s just about ZERO chance that they go into the season with just Dane Jackson and a rookie as serious outside corner candidates.

I've pretty much always thought they'd a vet corner - I've just been saying that I thought they'd probably wait until after the draft.  This move makes me wonder if something isn't coming soon, since there really seems to be little point in doing this restructure now. 

I agree, however, that they will bring in a vet.  McDermott's defense is complex, and they don't want to go into the season with corners whose total experience is White (when he's ready) plus Jackson and Neal.   Maybe Johnson is a candidate to play out there, but that just changes the hole to fill from corner to the nickel corner, and in some ways that's a tougher hole to fill.  They've brought in Davis and Norman and Gaines in recent years, for the same purpose.  None worked out.  This time, the need is clearer, and I think the Bills will bring in a veteran whose bust probability is lower than those guys.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly it's news to me that you can do this - I thought you were "stuck" with the contract an RFA signs once you match it.

I'm sure you're stuck with whatever you pay up front, past that I'd assume everything is negotiable if the player is willing.

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Are the Giants still looking to trade him? I know they are in a tough spot cap wise but he is one of the few good players they have on the team.

All the Giants care about this year is getting 1st round picks for 2023. I wouldn’t be shocked if they get 2 extra 2023 1st round picks. 

I think Bradberry will get traded.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Are the Giants still looking to trade him? I know they are in a tough spot cap wise but he is one of the few good players they have on the team.

He’s been on the trade block and NYG open to eating some of his salary to get a pick 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

disagree. he just made this deal, what, 10 days ago? if he wanted it structured this way wouldnt he have done that upfront? (unless it was to beat out the Bears initially?)

plus we just got a bunch of room yesterday.... outside of the bears situation, this has CB signing all over it! just my opinion

we didn't structure the contract, Bears did

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly it's news to me that you can do this - I thought you were "stuck" with the contract an RFA signs once you match it.

Kinda negates the "poison pill" aspect of it. But of course the player has to be on board as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

disagree. he just made this deal, what, 10 days ago? if he wanted it structured this way wouldnt he have done that upfront? (unless it was to beat out the Bears initially?)

The latter.  We had to EXACTLY match the Bears offer sheet in order to exercise the "right of first refusal" tender.

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I did, too.  Learn something every day....

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Kinda negates the "poison pill" aspect of it. But of course the player has to be on board as well. 

TBH, I think the Bears may have looked at Buffalo's cap situation and needs and said "yeah, they can't match much, this should work." 

Then Beane said "Hold My Beer"

I don't think it's an accident that the Diggs extension (and any others that may have been in the works) took place AFTER Bates got his offer sheets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

plus we just got a bunch of room yesterday.... outside of the bears situation, this has CB signing all over it! just my opinion

Matching an RFA means you can only sign him to the exact contract the Bears offered. The restructure would be necessary and couldn't be done up front if they wanted some cap relief. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agree complelety.  We are at least going to sign a FA, just depends if its a mid level ($3-5M range) or top end (probably 2 left, in Gilmore or trade for Bradberry, unless something unforeseen). Gilmore likely asking for something that could cost $8-12m in cap and Bradberrys current contract is ridiculous ($21m cap hit, would require reworking/extension).  

If our front office/coaches, think...

1. two or more off these are true: Tre ready by early season, believe Dane can be a #2 corner, and/or a rookie can step in as a starter or contribute immediately. Then likely we look for a mid level type.

OR

2. two or more off these are true: flipped scenario above.  then we could go after a Gilmore or Bradberry.

I'd think scenario 1 is more likely, ie: wait until after draft (draft a corner in the round 1-3 range), and then sign a mid level guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.