Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

24 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So 6.1 was added. I had heard that if cap was saved, it could be somewhere between 5 on the low end, 9 on the high end.

We were just somewhere around 275,000 under yesterday, this brings us to just under 6.5 million under. We'll need somewhere between 2.5 to 3 to sign Draft picks.

So maybe we make a small move or two, at the minimum level or just above it. But he also likes to have a little space in case of emergency for the season.

Long story short, I don't think it changes our position all that much. Just gives us the space we need to be in okay shape for the Draft and in case of emergency.

It’s pry a fair assumption although they could easily add cap space if needed.  Rule out nothing is a good rule of thumb.

I haven't seen a lot of Diggs being interviewed.  I just watched the video of his press conference.   A lot of the quotes from the press conference are posted in the preceding pages.  He is one together guy.   Talk about comfortable in his own skin.  Man.  

Listen to him talk about the feeling on this team.  He just keeps saying "family."  And he's not saying it because that's the mantra - he feels it.  He loves being loved by his coaches and his teammates.  

He talked about how they (the front office) keep bringing in the right guys.  He said they did it with him, they did it with Miller.  He essentially said everyone fits. 

He said he doesn't want to call plays, but players see things that the coaches don't always see, and on this team the coaches listen.  He said he might give the coaches five routes his likes for a game, and they'll give him three of them.  He likes that. 

He's really mature.  Intense, but at ease.  

Quite a guy.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It’s pry a fair assumption although they could easily add cap space if needed.  Rule out nothing is a good rule of thumb.

I'm just speaking about the Diggs move itself. There were people thinking the Diggs move in and of itself meant Stephon Gilmore or anyone we wanted could be signed. It would require more than just the Diggs move. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm just speaking about the Diggs move itself. There were people thinking the Diggs move in and of itself meant Stephon Gilmore or anyone we wanted could be signed. It would require more than just the Diggs move. 

Unless you sign say a Gilmore type veteran to a multi year contract and have it structured so the first year cap hit is around three million.

32 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So 6.1 was added. I had heard that if cap was saved, it could be somewhere between 5 on the low end, 9 on the high end.

We were just somewhere around 275,000 under yesterday, this brings us to just under 6.5 million under. We'll need somewhere between 2.5 to 3 to sign Draft picks.

So maybe we make a small move or two, at the minimum level or just above it. But he also likes to have a little space in case of emergency for the season.

Long story short, I don't think it changes our position all that much. Just gives us the space we need to be in okay shape for the Draft and in case of emergency.

That may be how Beane wants it to look.   He's got $3.5M for a CB.  Are Nelson/Rhodes and Callahan all going to say No?   There has to be a little nervousness in some of the FA CB circles.  A lot of CBs still out there and the draft will eliminate CB needs for a lot of teams.

Beane could be playing a late game of hardball to get a quality CB in for less than Wallace money.  I like the idea.

15 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

That may be how Beane wants it to look.   He's got $3.5M for a CB.  Are Nelson/Rhodes and Callahan all going to say No?   There has to be a little nervousness in some of the FA CB circles.  A lot of CBs still out there and the draft will eliminate CB needs for a lot of teams.

Beane could be playing a late game of hardball to get a quality CB in for less than Wallace money.  I like the idea.

CB Chris Harris Jr. age 32.  Bills wanted him a few years ago. $ should be reasonable. Knows Von.

• Vomit 1

23 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Beane knows who he likes and what he's willing to pay.  If he can make a deal, he will, but he's shown he's content to wait.  He knows there's always another opportunity around the corner.  

As I said earlier, I think he's waiting.  He knows the corners he likes in the draft, he knows where they are on his board, and he will deal to go after one he likes.  A wide out would be nice, but a first round corner who can start from day one really bolsters the lineup.  By November or December McDermott would have that guy on one side, with experience, and White on the other, with Miller and Oliver and Rousseau chasing the quarterback.  That's some serious stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just watched Stef's presser. He is just an extremely impressive individual. He gets it. The Bills are very fortunate to have him. You also get a sense of the togetherness across the whole roster when he talks about Gabe and jokes about Isaiah and talks about the coaches. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/6/2022 at 11:34 AM, TPS said:

I think that was my point in the post you initially responded to.  Spotrac currently shows $18 mil in cap space because they took down Diggs' current $17.9 mil cap hit.  We won't know what they have currently until the contract details are made public and they still don't have Jones' contract up yet.  My guess, was that they'd have about $7 mil (+/- a mil) after we know the details. Take out $2 mil for the top 2 draft picks, leaves about $5 mil to add a CB if they desire. All guesses at this point, until we know Diggs' contract. 

I see the #s are up, which shows they have $7.1 mil cap space now.  I thought Diggs would be a little lower than his $11.7 and Jones a little higher than his $1 mil, but the total is right where I expected.

I think adding a vet CB is a certainty now, since Beane doesn't like going into a draft needing a position.  Adding someone in the $3-4 mil range?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I just watched Stef's presser. He is just an extremely impressive individual. He gets it. The Bills are very fortunate to have him. You also get a sense of the togetherness across the whole roster when he talks about Gabe and jokes about Isaiah and talks about the coaches. 

He is really enjoyable to listen to, and an interesting dude.

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I haven't seen a lot of Diggs being interviewed.  I just watched the video of his press conference.   A lot of the quotes from the press conference are posted in the preceding pages.  He is one together guy.   Talk about comfortable in his own skin.  Man.  

Listen to him talk about the feeling on this team.  He just keeps saying "family."  And he's not saying it because that's the mantra - he feels it.  He loves being loved by his coaches and his teammates.  

He talked about how they (the front office) keep bringing in the right guys.  He said they did it with him, they did it with Miller.  He essentially said everyone fits. 

He said he doesn't want to call plays, but players see things that the coaches don't always see, and on this team the coaches listen.  He said he might give the coaches five routes his likes for a game, and they'll give him three of them.  He likes that. 

He's really mature.  Intense, but at ease.  

Quite a guy.  

I haven't seen a ton either but this is a great take. Cool, calm, charisma, confident. Those are elite mental traits for a WR.

Obviously everyone wants to be friends with Josh or Diggs, but seriously these are the guys you want in your inner circle in real life.

I'm just a guy looking for his Diggs to my Josh lolllll

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. We are really lucky to have him and kudos to Beane for the trade that brought him in.

I didn't notice your opinion on his extension though, esp. now since the contract details are out and he has $21.5M signing bonus. What is interesting is that Sportrac already shows his 2023 option bonus prorated five years*. As a result, Diggs has dead cap of $18M in 2025, which essentially ties him to Buffalo for at least 4 seasons (and even after that he has $10M dead cap). I do think/hope that it is a good deal and I love Diggs but this requires him to produce at high level for 4 years at least. What do you think?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

*I have no idea what is option bonus, but I thought that it worked like base salary and thus right now it would be a lump sum counted towards 2023 cap hit, and we will have an option to convert it and prorate it before 2023 season. To my surprise Sportrac shows it already prorated. However, it doesn't matter much I guess since we would have done it anyway. God I hate using conditionals in English :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.