Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If it's $10-11 for Diggs, and $8 for the rookies, Bills are right up against it.

It's not $8M for the rookies.

It's been discussed over and over in various threads that the actual top-51 cap impact of signing players for our current draft slots is about $2M.

That's because only the first 3 round picks will fall into the top-51, and each of those picks will displace a player being paid $.895M who is currently being counted in the top-51.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not $8M for the rookies.

It's been discussed over and over in various threads that the actual top-51 cap impact of signing players for our current draft slots is about $2M.

That's because only the first 3 round picks will fall into the top-51, and each of those picks will displace a player being paid $.895M who is currently being counted in the top-51.

Thanks.  That's what I get for thinking I know what I'm talking about.   They need $8 million to sign the rookies, according to Spotrac, but every one who makes the top 51 will displace someone.   

Overdorf's job is safe for another day!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

I love Diggs, but absolutely hate this. 

WR are often injured and severely less effective after age 30. We already had him locked up through 30. We just extended him into what is most likely non-useful life.

A key point to remember is, when you hear about some fantastical contract, never judge until you learn the details. 

There's a good article about it here.  The data are pretty startling on how few NFL contracts are paid to completion:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

The point is when we hear about Von Miller signing a 6 year, $120 million contract - "OH NOES!  We're Going to be Paying him when he's 38!!!" - we need to look at what's actually guaranteed and understand that $51.4M guaranteed really means it's essentially a 3 year, $17M contract.

So when we hear 4 year, $104M contract extension with $70M guaranteed, wait to see the details.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  That's what I get for thinking I know what I'm talking about.   They need $8 million to sign the rookies, according to Spotrac, but every one who makes the top 51 will displace someone.   

Overdorf's job is safe for another day!

Yeah, it's confusing.  The info is there in Spotrac, but you need to know what you're looking for.  And one of the guys here and I have had some back-and-forth whether Spotrac doesn't have features to account for the top-51 displacement (the verdict was, it does not and I was shown that I wasn't accounting for this)

27 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If the Bills are going “all in”, I don’t see them trading anyone from the #1 defense in the league last season. Why upset the apple cart? The Wizard of OBD has a handle on this 

#1 Defense that got absolutely shredded when it mattered.  

I don't really care how good they are against middling QB's tbh.  Can they hold up against elite offenses should be the question we ask.  If they aren't essential to accomplishing that, then I don't really care about upsetting any apple carts. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If the Bills are going “all in”, I don’t see them trading anyone from the #1 defense in the league last season. Why upset the apple cart? The Wizard of OBD has a handle on this 

I agree. McBeane treasure their Captains, regardless of the Peanut Gallery’s contempt. Tremaine’s exit opens a huge hole we don’t have and the amount of 6’ 7” mlbs out there can be counted on an armless man’s hand.

Makes no sense to even consider this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A key point to remember is, when you hear about some fantastical contract, never judge until you learn the details. 

There's a good article about it here.  The data are pretty startling on how few NFL contracts are paid to completion:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

The point is when we hear about Von Miller signing a 6 year, $120 million contract - "OH NOES!  We're Going to be Paying him when he's 38!!!" - we need to look at what's actually guaranteed and understand that $51.4M guaranteed really means it's essentially a 3 year, $17M contract.

So when we hear 4 year, $104M contract extension with $70M guaranteed, wait to see the details.

Yeah, it's confusing.  The info is there in Spotrac, but you need to know what you're looking for.  And one of the guys here and I have had some back-and-forth whether Spotrac doesn't have features to account for the top-51 displacement (the verdict was, it does not and I was shown that I wasn't accounting for this)

it's amazing after all these years some still don't know this

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

I love Diggs, but absolutely hate this. 

WR are often injured and severely less effective after age 30. We already had him locked up through 30. We just extended him into what is most likely non-useful life. 

This is going to hurt big time as early as next year, unless he's an exception to the rule.

Allen is going to have a lot of different WRs over his career.  This is an over-commitment. 

Winning teamswith highly paid QBs inevitably need to make very tough and unpopular decisions with aging star talent. This will pacify fans, but has a high likelihood of hindering success in the long haul. It's the easy choice with little criticism, not the difficult choice with greater success. 

This reminds me of the Falcons Julio extension.

Hopefully works out much better for the Bills than it did the Falcons.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Not sure what makes you believe this?? Why is it looking more difficult? He still playing on his rookie contract so I don't understand 

9 hours ago, nucci said:

Why?

Not saying it's impossible, but if davis continues how he finished last year he could quickly command elite money by the time his rookie deal is up. Can the bills afford to pay elite money to josh, von, diggs, and upper echelon money to Dawkins, and white? Also possible signings like Oliver, edmunds, and Knox would command upper echelon money. I know the cap goes up and contracts can be reworked, but enough to sign davis if he plays elite? I'm not against signing davis, I'm just saying it looks much more difficult after paying diggs a massive contract. I wouldn't be surprised if the bills drafted a contingency plan for wr2 for down the road if davis commands elite money, then you have a young WR on a rookie deal that's been learning the offense and can be groomed for the #2 spot.

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

#1 Defense that got absolutely shredded when it mattered.  

I don't really care how good they are against middling QB's tbh.  Can they hold up against elite offenses should be the question we ask.  If they aren't essential to accomplishing that, then I don't really care about upsetting any apple carts. 

I absolutely cringe when posters keep referencing "#1 Defense". 

I find them to be very good and opportunistic but lacking in key moments. No doubt the #'s were helped by the level of competition most of the season.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.