Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

6 hours ago, Augie said:

When I first saw this I thought is was going to be a stat Cowherd showed today. The Bill’s five highest paid players are: QB, Edge, WR, CB and LT. ALL of the key positions. 

The Patriots five highest paid players are a LB (Judon - a good player), then a couple TE’s and a couple so-so WR’s. 

Which team do you think has better managed their salary cap in today’s game? Hats off to Beane & company! 

Excellent analysis, Augster!👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think it makes sense to trade Poyer, very good play but I think the Bills can upgrade the position with a player who has better speed. 

They still need to win on the field and the Super Bowl

How exactly do you upgrade from a 1st Team All Pro? Poyer has plenty of speed for what he does. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

The diggs extension makes me think if the right WR is at 25 the bills take it. Signing Gabe is looking more and more difficult. Now would be a great time to have a young reciever learning from diggs, with no pressure to come in and be the #2 this year.

Not sure what makes you believe this?? Why is it looking more difficult? He still playing on his rookie contract so I don't understand 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Said it many times this offseason.........you don't re-do Diggs deal until there is only one year left.

By that time we'd be looking at at least $30 million per year as the average market value of top WRs. You always pay the superstars on your team a year early. Our superstars are Allen, Diggs, and White. Beane paid all of them a year early. A year later each of their contracts looked (or in Diggs' case, will look) like bargains. Beane knows what he's doing.

If the fallout of giving Diggs a long term contract that will save us millions on cap space years into the future is that we lose Poyer this offseason or next, so be it. Poyer is replaceable. Diggs is not.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Not sure what makes you believe this?? Why is it looking more difficult? He still playing on his rookie contract so I don't understand 

By the time Davis is up for a new deal, even if he commanded 25-30 mil on open market…cap may be up 50 mil from what it is now from TV deals

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah where did you hear that?

Spotrac wiped Diggs' number and dont have a new one, so the total listed for the Bills is currently $18M short. Expect $10-11M to be added back on when the new numbers come in.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Who do you suggest that player might be that's an upgrade over Poyer? He and Hyde have a type of connection that you don't see very often. One knows what the other is thinking and how they will move. That itself is very important and I don't see anyone that's an upgrade over Poyer at this time.

Maybe next year could find someone, But I don't see where you think that player will come from at the moment.

Is it possible the Bills like Cam Lewis or Damar Hamlin?

Lewis started 2 games last season before going on IR, and one game (Houston) this season.

Hamlin played about 1/4 of the snaps vs Houston and in the NWE playoff game.

I guess I should clarify I don't think either of them are an upgrade on Poyer at this point, just that it's possible the Bills may feel fairly comfortable they might be ready to play - like they let Wallace walk in part because they felt comfortable with Dane Jackson

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

My guess is that many of those draft picks acquired for Hill will go towards helping Mahomes.

Agreed. Now we just need to make sure that guy we take at 25 is better than whoever they pick couple spots later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped us either.

4 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah it's exciting, remember there was lot of post that said Bills wouldn't be able to do much with the cap space etc. Turns out much more could be done that what they thought lol

Yep. And the same people saying we had no cap space are the ones saying “you can’t pay everyone!” now. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, extending Diggs just opened up a can of new issues.

Players understand when free agents get paid...........but once you start re-doing players with years remaining on their deal and rewarding them as if that player is an actual free agent.........ie not "team friendly"...........then it's invariable that guys like Poyer/Hyde/Edmunds .........whose values are unlikely to ever be higher........are inevitably going to feel jealous or mistreated and angry with the team.    

None of those players should be extended any further than they are right now and they had peace on that front IMO because of the fact that Diggs deal was below market.

Said it many times this offseason.........you don't re-do Diggs deal until there is only one year left.

You just started learning this football stuff... it's ok leave the decision making to the guys that know more than you.

4 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

The diggs extension makes me think if the right WR is at 25 the bills take it. Signing Gabe is looking more and more difficult. Now would be a great time to have a young reciever learning from diggs, with no pressure to come in and be the #2 this year.

Why?

today basking in the post Diggs signing afterglow I must say this has been THE most fun offseason as well as lead in into the NFL draft I can remember. Does anybody remember how time would dragggg leading to the draft? Not this year HOLY COW PEOPLE.

I love that we fanbase are as happy to have Diggs as he is to be a part of and represent our fanbase Bills Mafia. He lights UP when talking about we fans. Allen too actually. We are BLESSED!~!~!!!!!

GO BILLS!~!~!!!!! 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I would wholeheartedly disagree that the Diggs extension was done now simply because they wanted cap space. It was done now because we want to keep him in the fold for years to come, keep him happy with all the other big deals that were handed out to WR's, and because he's wanted a new deal since the day we traded for him over two seasons ago. 

The signing has been billed as an "extension". Not a completely new deal. When we extended Josh, his contract stayed the same and the new numbers came in the extension. It's possible they reworked these two years, but it's not a given. Especially when you consider his number now isn't excessive in the grand scheme of top WR's.

It’s already been reported that his Cap hit I. 2022 was reduced 

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah where did you hear that?

From a family member that follows the team much closer than i do not sure exactly when or how i thought it was a awful lot of cap for this year i will ask for more details .

22 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

With the possible exception of Moss, I don’t think any of them have a high enough profile to generate the bash volume required to even approach Edmunds level.  Maybe Shaq I guess.

Edit:  Plus with Edmunds we get the added feature of people misspelling his simple last name.  How can this be done with Moss or Lawson.  Sure Haack is easy to misspell but he is a punter.

the whole lot of them are punters...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.