Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

5 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

If we move up in the draft, my guess is that it's for Trent McDuffie.

It's time to pair Tre with another great cornerback instead of a revolving door of replacement-level talent.

Actually.........it's TIME that Beane use more 1st and 2nd round picks on offense..........the more sustainable side of the ball and therefore generally the better investment.

And offense also happens to be the side least addressed again this offseason despite the Bills finishing #1 in team defense in 2021.

It would be nice to add a better CB than they've had opposite of White but in the Bills defensive system it's pretty easy to over-invest in a cornerback.    

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah I have to say that the idea of moving up for a CB makes sense to me.

We know that

1. Beane has a history of moving up for players he covets. He has done so in the past and spoken about this approach many times.
2. The Bills roster will be tough for eight rookies to make, as you mentioned, meaning that a trade-up or two is likely.
3. The Bills seem to have adopted an aggressive "win now" mentality, as evidenced by Von Miller move and spending to the cap.

4. Corner is a high value position, one in which the Bills are currently highly deficient and where they could really use a cost controlled five-year deal.

All of these facts combine to make me think that if Beane really liked a corner -- or any position really, but especially corner -- he would move up without hesitation.

Several people have said this in this thread, and several times the reply has been the same: BEANE runs a tight ship, but if he's reached out to several teams to gage their interest in trading, it's definitely possible that one of those teams were the ones to do the leaking.

Teams also INTENTIONALLY leak things at this time of years for various strategic reasons, whether it be subterfuge and misdirection or the solicitation of offers from other teams.

What assets does Beane use to trade up for a corner in the first? Unless he uses picks only, he would be making a hole. The only vets worthy of trading up in the first are starters, which means making a hole, to fill a hole. I don’t see Beane doing anything like that. For instance, if we trade Edmonds, who fills Edmonds spot? 

I think it’s more likely we trade up into round 2 or later, but not the first round. I just don’t see how we can pick up Von and not be all in on a Super Bowl push. You don’t make holes (even to fill another whole) when making a run for a super bowl. No rookie is guaranteed, but a starter (even ones who can do better) are a known commodity, and those starters are part of a team that should have made it to the AFC championship minimum last season. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Again, this is also why I woudn't be shocked if Diggs is moved.

He's been great for this team but looking strictly at the production on paper, the Vikings landed the better,  younger, and most importantly cheaper player with the pick we sent them for Diggs.

If Bills could ship Diggs, to where they could get Williams, and a first next year.... is that something we consider? Seriously asking. I dont think it's a hard no... but interesting 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Giants clearly want to come out of this draft with an extra 1st next year.  Nobody seems in love with the QB’s in this draft so it’s probably not happening that way for Giants.  Maybe Bills trade pick 25, next years 1st and Poyer for pick 7.  Bills take Hamilton and have their QB of the defense for next 10 years. 

I don’t think that would be nearly enough to trade up to the either of the Giants picks. We’d have to throw more picks into the trade package. As nice as Hamilton would be, we’d still have a hole at corner, and most likely the trade up suggest would cost us our second and more, which means less chance to fill the hole at corner. 

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

A little off topic, I grew up in the neighborhood and went to grade school with Zig Fracassi. He went by Ziggy then, real name Angelo. He wasn't good at sports but he was crazy knowledgeable about them. Good dude. 

I used to really enjoy listening to Zig on Buffalo radio.  I think he was on Empire Sports if I remember correctly.  Or was it WGR? 

Won't be a popular opinion, but personally I would move Diggs before Knox. There's no way there is going to be room to keep him long term with given the current WR market that is only going to keep climbing higher.

And no matter what people think and read into his social media, Diggs is not taking a 'hometown' discount for this team. He knows he's worth big time money and guarantee those demands have already been made by him and his agent to Beane the minute the Adams and Hill deals and contracts were done.

Why would we trade Diggs in a year we are making a super bowl push? That would greatly hurt our chances, and who knows how Gabe would do with number 1 wr attention. 

I see it as highly unlikely we make a move up in the first round, unless it’s just a handful of spots. I also, don’t see us making a hole, to fill the same hole or another. I could see moves like this IF we didn’t sign Von Miller and we were taking a more long term approach. But the Von signing signals we are making a push in the next season or two. 

• Like (+1) 1

Trading up gets us a good rookie on a rookie contract.  And it sheds the cap cost of whatever vet we trade away.  

Theoretically sounds good.  But entirely depends on the vet(s) we lose and the rookie we gain.  Until those answers are available, I have no opinion.  

8 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I don’t think that would be nearly enough to trade up to the either of the Giants picks. We’d have to throw more picks into the trade package. As nice as Hamilton would be, we’d still have a hole at corner, and most likely the trade up suggest would cost us our second and more, which means less chance to fill the hole at corner. 

You’re probably right but Chiefs traded pick 27 plus a 3rd rounder and their 1st following year to move up to 10 for Mahomes.  I’d think the price would be a little lighter for a QB-weak draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

Again, this is also why I woudn't be shocked if Diggs is moved.

He's been great for this team but looking strictly at the production on paper, the Vikings landed the better,  younger, and most importantly cheaper player with the pick we sent them for Diggs.

You don’t bank on replacing Diggs with a rookie and getting even close to Diggs level production year 1. Anything less than Diggs level production is greatly hurting our chances at a SuperBowl. This is no time to be playing the long game, if so, it was pointless to pick up Von who’s contract will keep us from signing some of our own in the next year or two (meaning, more holes that have to be filled). 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You’re probably right but Chiefs traded pick 27 plus a 3rd rounder and their 1st following year to move up to 10 for Mahomes.  I’d think the price would be a little lighter for a QB-weak draft.  

For us in a Super Bowl window, I would be ok trading future draft picks, I’d be much happier with that than trading a starter, to just make a hole. 

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Trading up gets us a good rookie on a rookie contract.  And it sheds the cap cost of whatever vet we trade away.  

Theoretically sounds good.  But entirely depends on the vet(s) we lose and the rookie we gain.  Until those answers are available, I have no opinion.  

What your saying is very true, but is also very counterproductive to winning a Super Bowl this season. I’m fine with a long term approach, but I’m not fine with that approach after signing Von. It would signal the front office is a little scattered (maybe owner meddling because of the stadium deal?). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Zig is good. I’m not saying this is a lead pipe lock, but it’s also not nothing.

Don’t be surprised if it happens. And for the love of God, let’s not turn this into a Tremaine Edmunds thread!

Oh god gawd, this is noteworthy.

The unnamed "buzzards"  "may be aggressive" and "may move a veteran or two.   "He gets paid for this dribble?  Yes the bills May be aggressive or the Bills Maybe wont and maybe the move a veteran or two or maybe they dont.

I learned NOTHING of any value.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.