Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

This fella on Twitter that some seem to think has Bills connections (I have no idea if he does or not, but some swear by him) has this to say:

A reference to the Tweet by Zig Fracassi, I assume.

and…

Maybe the Bills just don’t want to pay Edmunds the type of money he’s gonna be looking for. Can’t re-sign EVERYBODY, and getting cheap off-ball linebacker labor to replace Edmunds (whether he’s traded or we just let his contract expire) seems pretty Beane-y.

Yeah I’m not trusting a dude with <1000 followers who can’t even get Matt Araiza’s name correct

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

This fella on Twitter that some seem to think has Bills connections (I have no idea if he does or not, but some swear by him) has this to say:

A reference to the Tweet by Zig Fracassi, I assume.

and…

Maybe the Bills just don’t want to pay Edmunds the type of money he’s gonna be looking for. Can’t re-sign EVERYBODY, and getting cheap off-ball linebacker labor to replace Edmunds (whether he’s traded or we just let his contract expire) seems pretty Beane-y.

It might be scary replacing edmunds with a rookie out of Montana st during an all offseason but I’d love the hell out of this.  He’s my favorite player in the draft.  

i don’t think he falls to 57, maybe trade up for Booth using picks and edmunds then trade up again for anderson.  

we’ll be saving ourselves 11-14M a year over then next 4 and will likely have a much better LB imo.  Address WR and IOL depth with the rest. Maybe a rb flyer 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

I think he ends up a Billl.   Possibly 3rd Round

I'm not one to insist that this player will "be gone" by then..........but I tend to think Troy Anderson won't still be there when the Bills select in round 3.

Could be wrong.......Spencer Brown was a similar freak athlete at a much more prioritized position and he lasted until the end of round 3 despite some 1st and 2nd round talk.     But this draft is starting to get a lot of LB buzz so I suspect there might be a run on them in rounds 2 and 3.

If the Bills want Troy Anderson that badly they probably have to pull the trigger in round 2.......which is crazy early for such a raw prospect.   I think he would make a good Edmunds replacement but I hope they do not take him that early.........there may be a half dozen or more ILB's in this draft who will be as good or better than the plateaued version of Edmunds the Bills have had for the past 2 years.......but McBeane's heart will want what it wants.    That's how they ended up wasting Edmunds' talents as a miscast MLB. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

I mean, if there's a guy within their reach that they think can be a major piece for them then go for it. They're in a position where they don't exactly need a ton of draft picks, especially later round picks that are looking at real long odds to make the team. May as well try to wheel and deal and walk away with four or five guys in the top 100-150 prospects as opposed to seven or eight guys from across the entire board. 

They keep talking about how they're in that Super Bowl window so there's really no better time than now than to go all in and do what you've gotta do to acquire the players you think can help this team bring home a championship. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If corner is their first rounder and they turn around and pick this guy the investment defensively by this regime is pretty incredible…. Would agree they are zagging(stacking defense) while everyone else is zigging(stacking offense). 

The corners that will be availble at 25 are sort of the next tier after Gardner and Stingley…at the top of it you have Booth, McDuffie, Elam…then Gordon, Taylor-Britt, McCreary, Woolen ( off the chart measurables ) Alontae Taylor…so it is how Beane views the gap between them if he goes CB 1st Round in the pick 25 scenario.  Should be an interesting draft.

42 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why not? It’s basically a 2nd rd pick seeing that the Bills will be picking in the late 20/30s. The Bills are on the verge of winning a SB and if they need to flip the pick then cool. It’s not like they need a QB!! There aren’t any game changing pass rushers either. I want the Bills to go for it if they think they need to 

I get and respect your point. My response is twofold:

1) As I said, this draft sucks as compared to almost every draft I have ever seen. Of course, this is jmo.

2) What happens if we mortgage the future for a player who gets hurt or busts out? Where does that leave us? We really got screwed when Whaley gave away the store for Watkins. Again, I hope that we are above this Whaley type of undisciplined stupidity. 

PS: I would be thrilled if we traded down.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

I almost expect Beane to move up. We're kind of in no man's land when it comes to landing one of the top 4 CB's or top 4 WR's. Maybe one of them falls, but it doesn't look good and I don't expect Beane to sit there and risk losing out on a guy he sees as a difference maker.

But as I said in a previous post, I wouldn't be looking at starters when it comes to veterans being packaged with picks. He'd just be creating a hole and then needing to fill it, on top of our other holes at that point. 

I'd expect we're talking about guys like Zack Moss, AJ Epenesa, or Cody Ford. Guys who teams may have liked coming out of college and think they could benefit from a change in system.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It might be scary replacing edmunds with a rookie out of Montana st during an all offseason but I’d love the hell out of this.  He’s my favorite player in the draft.  

i don’t think he falls to 57, maybe trade up for Booth using picks and edmunds then trade up again for anderson.  

we’ll be saving ourselves 11-14M a year over then next 4 and will likely have a much better LB imo.  Address WR and IOL depth with the rest. Maybe a rb flyer 

I am all for trading Edmunds but trading up in the first and second rounds for two defenders? Yuck. 

Not picking up a WR until day 3 would be disappointing, but at the same time not surprising.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If corner is their first rounder and they turn around and pick this guy the investment defensively by this regime is pretty incredible…. Would agree they are zagging(stacking defense) while everyone else is zigging(stacking offense). 

Which contending teams have been stacking offense other than the bengals using all their money on OL?  The chargers added mostly D.  The chiefs sold their most important non qb for picks.  Packers spent all money on AR and Defense.  About equal O and D.  Niners did nothing on O.  Bucs resigned their own.  Tennessee basically a wash.  Ravens did nada.  

the big O moves were QBs and that’s just because teams were willing to trade great QBs for the first time ever.  Hill and adams trades will likely end up moot as both team unlikely to make the playoffs imo.  

Just now, Process said:

I am all for trading Edmunds but trading up in the first and second rounds for two defenders? Yuck. 

Not picking up a WR until day 3 would be disappointing, but at the same time not surprising.

I hear ya….but it’s all about adding potentially great players.  Landing booth and Anderson and we would reap benefits for years imo.  

That said, I’d love to add another weapon on O.  I’d just be happy with those 2 guys.  I doubt either of them fall to 25 and 57 respectively.  Using edmunds 13m on more weapons could be in the plans

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I don't think you'd trade either. I'd see him as a 3rd safety/hybrid LB and move Taron Johnson out to the edge -- he showed he can hold his own out there. Just spitballing, but if he really is sliding he'd be an awesome piece to add to this defense.

With Tre out potentially the first month of the season, they aren’t getting rid of one of the best nickel corners in the league.  Edmunds, Moss maybe, or maybe a couple of our backups like our backups at safety.  We don’t know.  We also have 9 picks and don’t  need them all.

Zig’s pretty good on NFLR.  There could be smoke there.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Doesn't shock me, we're in no-man's land... Us meeting with Kyle Hamilton is really interesting in this regard...

Would take a King’s ransom to move up high enough to get Hamilton.  I have no inside information, but I can’t imagine moving that far up for Hamilton.

I can easily imagine that they would want to move up for a CB.  Other needs are OL, but I don’t see moving up unless it is for a OT that would push Dawkins into G or if they aren’t happy with Spencer Brown starting at RT.

Can’t see trading up far for a WR given team has 3 viable starters, though a need for next year or to push Gabe Davis out of the starting lineup (and I don’t think that is in the cards).

With investment at DE, I don’t think they’d go up for that and I don’t see a LB as such a glaring need that they would trade up for that.

I can’t even imagine going up for a RB because of position value, Singletary is fine and because Breece Hall is the top RB in THIS draft, but would not have been a top RB in past few classes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Governor said:

They usually aren’t nonsense at all. We telegraph what we’re trying to do and there’s been leaks each year. People just pretend there isn’t.

They are definitely nonsense and it's about the draft in general, not just the Bills.  If there are leaks, they are usually fake.  Teams feed the media purpose.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.