Vernon Butler signs with the Raiders

Draconator

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

THanks...

But wont Marquel Lee , Duke Johnson and Mancz count as they were not cut by the previous team?

no because you must have a qualifying offer. Lee, Johnson, and Mancz got a league min offer and don’t qualify.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Butler was ranked 110th out of 110 on PFF. He was the worst DL in the entire league. That's about the same as the year before. He made 2mil per on his first contract with Carolina.  The Bills gave him 15 million dollars, 7.5 mil per, to be the worst DL in the league for 2 years. Star is still eating up 7 mil in cap this season and he's not even on the team. The Bills have completely wasted millions and millions of cap dollars on just those 2 ex Panthers. Meanwhile the offensive line continues to be in the bottom half of the league every single year, getting by on castoffs and scraps from the other teams. The starting right tackle was a rookie who was rated 71st out of 83 qualified tackles last season and a lot of people think he was good.  They did make a big move this off-season signing a 34 old guard on the decline. Who needs an offensive line when you have Superman at QB? Right?  Josh can be the short yardage guy again too because you can't hand off on 3rd and 1 when there are 2 or 3 guys in the backfield at the snap. As long as the Bills score points and Allen plays Superman the oline is not an issue.

The Rams just won the SB with Stafford at QB behind the 7th ranked line, the Bills were 18th. The worst one of the Rams starting 5 was better than every Bill but Dawkins. Rams had 3 rated over 80. Bills had 0 and only 1 over 70. Can you even imagine how much better than Stafford Allen would be behind that line? Sadly it looks like we may never know, but one of these years they'll get that DLine right and stop the run. When they finally do we will all see just how amazing the 61st of 87 rated All Pro MLB really is. Just keep stocking up on overpaid dl, they're bound to find some good ones eventually.

P.S. As frustrating as the o line situation has been I think Beane has done a mostly excellent job and I'm really psyched that the Bills are contenders again. The obsession with the DL and neglect of the OL are my only complaints. Without Allen the Bills offense would produce very little behind that line.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Butler was ranked 110th out of 110 on PFF. He was the worst DL in the entire league. That's about the same as the year before. He made 2mil per on his first contract with Carolina.  The Bills gave him 15 million dollars, 7.5 mil per, to be the worst DL in the league for 2 years. Star is still eating up 7 mil in cap this season and he's not even on the team. The Bills have completely wasted millions and millions of cap dollars on just those 2 ex Panthers. Meanwhile the offensive line continues to be in the bottom half of the league every single year, getting by on castoffs and scraps from the other teams. The starting right tackle was a rookie who was rated 71st out of 83 qualified tackles last season and a lot of people think he was good.  They did make a big move this off-season signing a 34 old guard on the decline. Who needs an offensive line when you have Superman at QB? Right?  Josh can be the short yardage guy again too because you can't hand off on 3rd and 1 when there are 2 or 3 guys in the backfield at the snap. As long as the Bills score points and Allen plays Superman the oline is not an issue.

The Rams just won the SB with Stafford at QB behind the 7th ranked line, the Bills were 18th. The worst one of the Rams starting 5 was better than every Bill but Dawkins. Rams had 3 rated over 80. Bills had 0 and only 1 over 70. Can you even imagine how much better than Stafford Allen would be behind that line? Sadly it looks like we may never know, but one of these years they'll get that DLine right and stop the run. When they finally do we will all see just how amazing the 61st of 87 rated All Pro MLB really is. Just keep stocking up on overpaid dl, they're bound to find some good ones eventually.

P.S. As frustrating as the o line situation has been I think Beane has done a mostly excellent job and I'm really psyched that the Bills are contenders again. The obsession with the DL and neglect of the OL are my only complaints. Without Allen the Bills offense would produce very little behind that line.

So………he’s ranked! That sounds good! 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

My first inclination was to roll my eyes at the tone of this post, but as I kept reading...I realized you might be absolutely nailing it here. 

Two possible counters to your prescient frustration could be: 1) if they actually got the D-line right this time, finally. Imagine what a consistently disruptive D-line would do for this defense and for this team's ability to compete with the AFC. And 2) the O-line play in the final third of the season was better than average. The line play down the stretch was NOT in need of major overhaul. I hate the prospect of losing Bates, a LOT, but the Bills are then only one guard away from a solid starting unit (assuming Brown grinds and improves, which he should, especially under Kromer).

Overall, I agree that the Bills should be investing heavily in surrounding Josh Allen with studs everywhere. Keep him happy and healthy above all else. Then again, defensive pass rush DOES seem to matter in big games.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.