Current Bills salary cap situation - 4/8/2022 12:50 PM $200.1MM - taken for “Top 51” - Sportrac current estimate is that Bills are over by $2.8MM for all - Link to Sportrac in 1st post

BuffaloBill

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

any interesting WR’s, RB or CB’s we could bring in?  

Hopefully a vet QB also (Kyle Allen)

We're sitting at 8.9 before adding in the numbers of Case Keenum, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Marquel Lee, and Matt Barkley. And we need 8 for Draft Picks. So we're gonna have to do some cap maneuvering just to get the Draft Picks in, paid, and under the cap.

Beane essentially said at his presser that we're pretty much done after the QB moves come in and that if he adds, it'll have to be guys looking for opportunity over money to improve their stock in next year's FA. More likely than not, any of those moves will happen after the Draft and almost definitely won't be anyone that will be all that exciting. 

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

We're sitting at 8.9 before adding in the numbers of Case Keenum, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Marquel Lee, and Matt Barkley. And we need 8 for Draft Picks. So we're gonna have to do some cap maneuvering just to get the Draft Picks in, paid, and under the cap.

Beane essentially said at his presser that we're pretty much done after the QB moves come in and that if he adds, it'll have to be guys looking for opportunity over money to improve their stock in next year's FA. More likely than not, any of those moves will happen after the Draft and almost definitely won't be anyone that will be all that exciting. 

And DaQuan Jones contract 

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Bolded is wrong. Draft picks cost less than 3 together. You can't count their cap hits, you need also to subatract cap hit of player they are replacing. So in reality only first and second rounder cost more than 0.3M or so.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They aren't cutting Matakevitch either. He's maybe our best Special Teamer. And in losing Taiwan Jones on that side and A.J. Klein on the LB side, we're a little thin at both the roles he provides. 

Cody Ford isn't going to be released with Kromer coming in. They made a large investment in him and they'll hope that Kromer can bring more out of him. And especially not when we're thin at O-Line depth already and might be losing Ryan Bates too.

I'm just saying these are the only real moves to be made to free up space(other than more restructures or extensions).

Ford and Bates combine right now for almost $5 million. I don't think that's the plan moving forward.

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Current Bills salary cap situation - 3/19/2022 5:30 PM $2.5MM - Keenum in - Still missing #’s for Jones, Lawson, Lee, Phillips - Link to Sportrac in 1st post
On 3/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Bills cap as of 3/19/2022 5:30 PM - $2.5MM - Keenum In - Jones, Lawson, Lee, Phillips not in yet

The Bills have some work to do as the other variable is leaving enough cap for draft choices and in-season signings

Note that per Mary Kay Cabot, Spotrac numbers after Keenum are incorrect.

Spotrac shows Keenum's $1M roster bonus as paid by the Bills.  Per Cabot, Browns paid it. 

Spotrac shows Keenum's $6.1M salary.  Per Cabot, "Browns reworked Keenum's contract to make it more palatable to the Bills".

So at least $3.5M left, and probably more - which is good, as we still need to account for Jones, Lawson, Phillips, and Lee.

Also, in his presser yesterday, Beane indicated that there might be internal Bills contract moves that hadn't made it into the public yet.  So there's that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Bolded is wrong. Draft picks cost less than 3 together. You can't count their cap hits, you need also to subatract cap hit of player they are replacing. So in reality only first and second rounder cost more than 0.3M or so.

As stated by another poster, I also forgot DaQuan Jones hasn't been taken into account yet. So to review with Keenum added in, we're currently (according to Spotrac) 2.5 Million under the cap before the contracts of DaQuan Jones, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Marquel Lee, and Matt Barkley are accounted for. 

This puts us over the cap, or "right up on it", as Beane put it. So we're going to have to free up some cap just for Draft Picks. The result is the same. People acting like Kylo Ren in Rise of Skywalker screaming "more, MORE, MOOORRREEE!" and asking for big names or even mid-tier FA's still available should probably hamper expectations.

As Beane stated yesterday, it's all in on the Draft to fill remaining holes after the QB moves and small signings from here on out for dudes looking for opportunity over money. And those small signings are most likely coming after the Draft.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As stated by another poster, I also forgot DaQuan Jones hasn't been taken into account yet. So to review with Keenum added in, we're currently (according to Spotrac) 2.5 Million under the cap before the contracts of DaQuan Jones, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Marquel Lee, and Matt Barkley are accounted for. 

This puts us over the cap, or "right up on it", as Beane put it. So we're going to have to free up some cap just for Draft Picks. The result is the same. People acting like Kylo Ren in Rise of Skywalker screaming "more, MORE, MOOORRREEE!" and asking for big names or even mid-tier FA's still available should probably hamper expectations.

As Beane stated yesterday, it's all in on the Draft to fill remaining holes after the QB moves and small signings from here on out for dudes looking for opportunity over money. And those small signings are most likely coming after the Draft.

Are you sure you wanted to react on me with this?

I only commented on you saying that we need 8M cap space for draft picks and explained that its not 8M but less than 3M. Thats all.

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Are you sure you wanted to react on me with this?

I only commented on you saying that we need 8M cap space for draft picks and explained that its not 8M but less than 3M. Thats all.

It's more of an overall post starting with your quoted thread. Wasn't implying you're the one asking for other big moves.

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Not the Bills, but good pull on the Woods compensation piece. 

True, a 6th is about as much as you're going to get absorbing a 13.5 cap hit this season that continually goes up over the next 3 years ending at 17.5. No way we could have taken that on right now.

36 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Jones is on there now too. Hit of about 3.5 million

$3.58M

Spotrac has also adjusted Case Keenum to take the signing bonus off of his deal

After these adjustments and bumping the lowest contract off of the “top 51”, per Spotrac the Bills have $2M cap left

Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson are still not accounted for nor Marquel Lee (which is likely a Vet Salary Benefit contract).  

There must be some internal re-working of contracts that hasn’t made its way to the press yet.

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Current Bills salary cap situation - 3/20/2022 5:45 AM $2.1MM - Keenum bonus out - Still missing #’s for Lawson, Lee, Phillips - Link to Sportrac in 1st post

So Sportrac says we have 2,1M cap space right now, and it has already corrected OJ Howard and only relevant guys not accounted for are Lawson and Phillips.

If my math is correct for draft picks we need almost exactly 2,2M (counting top 6 picks, cap hit will be actually lower if more picks make the roster).

So we are imo sitting at exactly ZERO right now, but that is with TOP 51 (like I said I have no clue what's the point but that's the way it is).

Full roster is 53 so our total cap space right now should be negative in the exact amount of Lawson's and Phillips' contracts, which both might imo range from 1M to 3M (there might be some void years too). I assume their total cap hit is somewhere around 4M.

So we need one more restructure just to fit them, Maybe it has already be done with Case Keenum contract - I saw some confusing info that Browns already did some work with it (its not reflected by Spotrac, which has him at 6,1M cap hit), and if not, I guess Beane will do something.

So my guess right now is that one more restructure is coming to accomodate CB FA. I can't imagine going to the draft with just what we have on roster. I am also exepcting to sign some guard FA in coming days.

35 minutes ago, ALF said:

Unless the Bills can afford a vet CB  FA , I would have to trade up in the draft for one. This year looks they are all in.

I think they will get FA “value” CB plus draft one in Rd 1 or 2.  The Bills got thin at CB quickly last season. 

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Looks like he’s stuck renting a studio apartment this year. 😂

They can still extend Diggs and create significant cap savings - up to $12ish million I would guess

can also extend/restructure a couple of others; poyer, Dawkins are a couple that come to mind

Beamed already done a lot of restructuring which makes sense as everyone knows how large the cap will get not next year, but the following years to come.  Between the tv revenue increase, and the impending gambling $ impact, this was the right year to push the $ down the road.

As far as CB, I think we are stretched out enough.  Our 1st and 2nd RD picks should be spent on CB and WR.  Whichever is the better value at the pick is who we should grab.  I’d love to find a G in the third then whatever after.  Probably a RB at some point as Moss hasn’t worked out.  Move on like we are going to move on from Ford.

• Agree 1

On 3/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Current Bills salary cap situation - 3/20/2022 5:45 AM $2.1MM - Keenum bonus out - Still missing #’s for Lawson, Lee, Phillips - Link to Sportrac in 1st post

My guess is that the Bills have to make about $8MM - $10MM in more room to sign final three FA’s currently on the roster, sign a “value” CB, sign draft choices and to make room for the inevitable in-season signing need(s)

Bills cap as of 3/19/2022 5:30 PM - $2.5MM - Keenum In - Jones, Lawson, Lee, Phillips not in yet

The Bills have some work to do as the other variable is leaving enough cap for draft choices and in-season signings

Bills cap as of 3/19/2022 12:15 PM - $8.9MM - Miller in - Jones, Lawson, Lee, Phillips not in yet

Bills cap as of 3/19/2022 - 7:00 AM $13.4MM Now includes Saffold’s #’s - still missing Jones, Lawson and Miller 

Bills Cap as of 3/18/2022 - 2:00 PM $16.9MM following release of Star and inclusion of Howard & Settle

Still missing: Jones, Lawson, Miller and Saffold

Bills Cap As of 3/17/2022 - 3:16 PM $17.5MM following release of Beasley

Bills Cap As of 3/17/2022 - 10:45 AM (Allegedly $11.4MM available)

Thought it might be helpful to have one thread where the Bills current cap status is tracked.  

According to Sportrac, the Bills have about $11.4 MM in space right now.  However, their number does not include new contracts for Howard, Jones, Miller and Saffold.

The Bills obviously have more work to do to be under the cap and leave themselves room for draft signings and in-season signings.

Keenum's salary is still $6.1M.  Cabot said that the Browns reworked it before the trade.  My guess would be he's actually got a cap hit of $3-4M now, so about $2-3M

Also keep in mind that as the final 3 contracts go on the books, the 3 lowest contracts bump off the bottom, saving $2.3M

So

Current OTC number  $2M

3 lowest contracts      $2.3M

Keenum renegotiation $2M (guess)

-------------------------------

$6.3M

Marquel Lee at VSB? ($0.9M)  [I think he is eligible, and this is the way Eli Ankou is signed]

That would leave $5.4M to split between Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips (and Barkley, if it is true we are bringing him back)

I really don't think either of them come here for vet minimum, and I'm not even sure $2.7M each is enough.   But if there's another restructure or extension we don't know about yet, I can see it as feasible.

We don't have money to sign draft picks, but I expect Beane has an extension in mind for that.

Beane commented in his presser that they were right at the cap with all the signings AND the backup QB situation, and that there were some internal salary cap moves that might not be "on the public books" yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Much better

Yeah, much better, and as anticipated.

So right now after already counting all rookies we have imo cap space of 2,5M minus cap hits of Phillips and Lawson, which I assume will be around 4,5M together. Or, in other words, we are exactly at zero right now and need to make room for rookies (ca 2,2M). 

Plus room for any FA we intend to sign, which I guess is at least cheap CB and maybe G.

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah, much better, and as anticipated.

So right now after already counting all rookies we have imo cap space of 2,5M minus cap hits of Phillips and Lawson, which I assume will be around 4,5M together. Or, in other words, we are exactly at zero right now and need to make room for rookies (ca 2,2M). 

Plus room for any FA we intend to sign, which I guess is at least cheap CB and maybe G.

Thank you to you guys who are tracking this.  I dont even understand all that you're saying, but I get the big picture.  Point is, there's another restructure or two coming.  

I also get that everyone cou ta on the cap increasing.  Still, at some point down the road we have pay for the restructures in cap dollars, and the full value of Allen's contract will hit.  How limiting will all that be?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thank you to you guys who are tracking this.  I dont even understand all that you're saying, but I get the big picture.  Point is, there's another restructure or two coming.  

I also get that everyone cou ta on the cap increasing.  Still, at some point down the road we have pay for the restructures in cap dollars, and the full value of Allen's contract will hit.  How limiting will all that be?

Yes agree Shaw thanks so much for the updates. I think in a perfect world Beane would like to hold onto a restructure or two until next year. Diggs would make sense. And give us all the room we would need to sign a veteran CB, rookie contracts, and maybe a little bump for Ricky bates. And have some pocket change for next year. 

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Current Bills salary cap situation - 3/20/2022 7:20 PM $4.6MM - Keenum salary & cap # reworked - Still missing #’s for Lawson, Lee, Phillips - Link to Sportrac in 1st post
1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

We just brought in a Special Teams LB from the raiders for cheaper....I would not rule out either a restructure or release of Tyler M.

He makes quite a bit for a ST's guy

If Marquel Lee was half the Special Teams player that Matakevitch was, we wouldn't have released him after Training Camp last season. He may very well be just a camp body again this season.

One of my biggest pet peeves (and I'm not singling you out specifically as it's something I see all the time) is this thought that just because someone plays Special Teams, that means they can replace anyone who plays Special Teams and do it just as well because it's just Special Teams.

Just like any other position, there's good performers and performers who are not so good. Matakevitch is paid what he's paid bc when it comes to ST's, he's REALLY good. Not just anyone can replace him.

Also, if this was a move that was as obvious to Beane as everyone who mentions it and something he was interested in - he'd have done it by now.

• Like (+1) 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Current Bills salary cap situation - 3/22/2022 12:55 PM $4.1MM - available for “Top 51” - Estimate is that Bills are under by $1.6MM for all - Still missing #’s for Barkley, Crowder, Lawson, Lee, Phillips - Link to Sportrac in 1st post

Sportrac has Jordan Phillips already on with 3,5M cap hit. Also seems as 3,5M one year contract, 3M guaranteed, no void years, but details are not on.

Also, Star's dead cap has changed to 5,2M. Looks like they think it is actually a post 1 June cut, but it doesn't show any 2023 dead cap. Hopefully it will be clarified soon.

Edited by No_Matter_What

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Also, Star's dead cap has changed to 5,2M. Looks like they think it is actually a post 1 June cut, but it doesn't show any 2023 dead cap. Hopefully it will be clarified soon.

Good catch on Star.  I didn't see that or hear about it from another poster.

The June 1st designations keep all the dead money on this year's books until June 1st.  It gets moved after that.

No team has dead money assigned yet for 2023.

It's a puzzlement as to the $5.2M amount.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Posted just now · IP

Bills cap space after this deal recorded on Spotrac:  $2.56M

Not included: Lawson, Barkley

Additional cap from pushing lowest deals off top-51:$1.76M

Available cap to sign Lawson and Barkley:                 $4.32M

I think! 

Feel certain someone will correct me if I'm wrong

I'll correct you if you really want to :)

Bolded is wrong. It is actually only $1.72M - $895k for Dane Jackson and $825 for Marquez Stevenson. Stevenson's signing bonus $43k counts for cap. Completely irrelevant though :)

I also add that Sportrac still has Star's dead money at $5.2M, so they clearly think its post 1 June cut and there will be another $2.6M dead cap in 2023. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.