Guard Rodger Saffold to Bills per Adam Schefter [now with contract details]]

Process

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

We'll always be a passing team, but we all saw it last year. You have to at least threaten to run the ball. A more balanced attack only helps the passing game and takes the heat and pressure off Josh.

Ok, I can get on board with this if that's what occurs. 

Can you imagine if the Bills morphed back into a run first team with Allen as qb, in part because they can't protect him? I imagine both you and I would be livid at that development.

Running the ball is a luxury imo. The Rams just won the SB with literally every handoff getting stuffed in the backfield.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And made his probowl at LG.  Just leave him at LG and move Bates to RG.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol the Bills are already doing a press conference on this. No way they followed the rules.

He was Released.  Free to sign anytime

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol the Bills are already doing a press conference on this. No way they followed the rules.

i think it's because he was released and not a straight free agent. right?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Last year Allen had one of the highest passer ratings off play action, threw the most play action passes, and threw for the most yards off play action passes. That was with an almost non-existent running game for most of the year. Imagine what he would do wit a more consistent running game.

I could be wrong, but I think the success on play action ticked upwards once the run game solidified at the end of the season - week 12 on, say; certainly weeks 15-17

1 hour ago, Mikie's Bills said:

Safe to say we'll be running the ball more this season

Yeah.  Saffold seems an odd choice.  We dump Williams because he’s making too much and he’s not a good fit for the zone scheme we’re moving to, but sign an OG that, if I’m not mistaken, fits gap/power and is a good run blocker, but not very good in pass pro.  I haven’t seen the contract details yet, but an early signing usually doesn’t equate to “on the cheap”.  Gonna wait for that though.

Edited to add:

I see that he was on McVay’s LA Rams team for two seasons.  He was already on the roster when McVay got the job, but he would’ve played in a zone scheme under him so there is some film of it. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's the truth about FA.  Everyone overpays for them.

I disagree to an extent. Everyone overpays the first day (or couple days) of FA.  After that, you can find good value.  I thought that we overpaid for every prominent Carolina player we’ve poached.  Star, butler, addison and Klein all got too much and weren’t worthy.  Kroft a definite overpay. as was Murphy imo. John brown was both an overpay and a bargain.  

milano was good value.  Mckenzie was good value, Poyer and Hyde were great value.  Beasley was good value (imo).  Feliciano and Spain were both initially signed to fair contracts.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think the success on play action ticked upwards once the run game solidified at the end of the season - week 12 on, say; certainly weeks 15-17

It certainly ticked upward as the running game became stronger toward the end of the year. However, even early in the year, Allen was very good off play action

3 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Ok, I can get on board with this if that's what occurs. 

Can you imagine if the Bills morphed back into a run first team with Allen as qb, in part because they can't protect him? I imagine both you and I would be livid at that development.

Running the ball is a luxury imo. The Rams just won the SB with literally every handoff getting stuffed in the backfield.

I think that's missing the point, which one of the commentators made IIRC - the Rams kept TRYING to run, so even though the Bengals were stuffing it, they still had to keep defending it - meaning they couldn't just focus their defensive attack on stopping the pass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.