Guard Rodger Saffold to Bills per Adam Schefter [now with contract details]]

Process

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

no one was watching the Pegula Jet.  I had my ear to the wall at Tempo.

I guess they didn’t fire up the Ford Taurus to pick him up at the airport due to the Taurus’ bad gas mileage!!😆

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I'm sure that Brandon Beane's first thought this morning, as he rolled out of bed this morning and put on his slippers was, "Dang, I better make a move today...oh crap, I better make a move!" 

Want to know the messed up part? Mr. Beane made the move-for-the-sake-of-making-a-move so that RobbRiddicksTDLeap wouldn't give him ***** today and he still got lit up. Can't win here

• Haha (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wonder if that was a factor - he mentioned playing through a shoulder injury this past season.  He also mentioned meeting Dawkins at the Pro Bowl.  I have to wonder if Shnowman talked up the training facilities and staff as "they'll get you right"

Let's hope he can extend his career another 2-3 seasons

Just now, CNY315 said:

Looks good in shorts 

Looks like a mountain of a man and someone who is going to spend a lot of time in the Bills player's workout gym.  

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I'm sure that Brandon Beane's first thought this morning, as he rolled out of bed this morning and put on his slippers was, "Dang, I better make a move today...oh crap, I better make a move!" 

Youre telling me the best option is an aging over the hill Roger Saffold? 

At least someone else posted something sensible, that this is a move to satisfy Aaron Kromer. Which if true, I’m fine with. Someone to show the ropes of the system, have an anchor on the line who gets the concepts. 

I still don’t like it.

25 minutes ago, Areola Grande said:

The OL coach doesn't dictate the style of offense. The hiring of an OL coach doesn't mean the whole organization wants to become a running team. I'd venture to guess that the GM, coaches, and ancillary staff kinda maybe sorta know what kind of player is at the helm behind center, [perhaps even more than us fans do?!] 🧐🤷🏻‍♂️

No, the Bills are not going to take what's been wildly successful the past 2 years and just say "welp... passing that much didn't work...scrap it!," turn it on its head and become the Eagles, Titans, 49ers, Browns, etc.

Overall, the Bills still ended up middle-of-the-pack in terms of % of run plays (18th @ 40%). Yes, a chunk of that is JA running, but as much of that (if not more) was designed as opposed to scrambles, but it's not even about **how often** we run. Getting more efficient would be glorious, and only does wonders for the passing game.

Reputations are a fickle thing. People act like he wasn't the OL coach for all those NO Saints teams of the decade prior that had Drew Brees having unheard of 5000+ yd passing seasons and setting records putting the ball in the air.

I appreciate your snark.

If we are to remain a pass centric team, would it not make sense to build your line around blockers who excel in that area instead of potentially weakening what you do best? Especially when you have a highly paid, superstar quarterback? Saffold also does not even seem like a fit for the zone scheme that Kromer runs.

And thanks for the amazing revelation that an Oline coach alone does not dictate philosophy. I'm going to venture to guess that one of the reasons the Saints threw the ball so much was because they had absolutely atrocious defenses, and their head coach was, you know, Sean Payton? One of the most progressive, innovative play callers in NFL history. 

On the other hand, McDermott, while having made strides in becoming less conservative, is still a defensive coach by trade. One could easily argue that if the ball hadn't been taken out of Allen's hands the first 2 possessions of the 2nd half against KC, we might be in a very different place now 

I don't think it's crazy at all to question if our commitment to the run is going to increase going into next season, especially given the widely reported rift between Daboll and McDermott.

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

At least someone else posted something sensible, that this is a move to satisfy Aaron Kromer. Which if true, I’m fine with. Someone to show the ropes of the system, have an anchor on the line who gets the concepts. 

I still don’t like it.

Assuming Saffold is what you say he is. What you just posted says the following: Beane knows Saffold is a JAG, Krmoer knows it too. But Krmoer doesn't want the best players, he wants HIS jags. Beane knows this, and signed Saffold because of it.

To summarize: Beane and Kromer want poor quality players

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm reading it's 2/134M much better than the Kirk Deal

But seriously alot of reports it's a 1 year  deal🤷🏻‍♂️

Pretty sure it’s a 2 year deal, with the 2nd year being a dummy year like Sanders’ this year, in order to spread the cap hit out to 2 years instead of just this year 

10 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I still don’t like it.

Made his first pro bowl last year, can't be that over the hill. Rams started the oldest LT in NFL history with Andrew Whitworth at 40 and won the Super Bowl, so not sure 34 is that old these days.

• Like (+1) 1

ESPN had him as the #91 free agent and a not so great endorsement:

Sometimes fans can get excited by a name they recognize on the free-agent market. Saffold was once one of the NFL's top pass-blocking guards, based on ESPN's pass block win rate metric. In the past two seasons, however, he has ranked in the bottom five. Perhaps a change of scheme and/or scenery can help him extend his career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.