Bills likely to get a nice draft pick for Trubisky (maybe a third?)

CorkScrewHill

There are multiple sources saying he was the op QB discussed at the combine. If he signs a big contract ... Eisen indicated he feels it will be surprisingly big in the video I am linking at the bottom. Pat McAfee is saying 10 mill or up. For those who hoped we would trade him in season .. we got the benefit of having him in case Josh had gotten hurt and will likely get a nice 2023 draft choice.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I really don't understand the compensatory draft formula. Can someone try to explain it to me?

Is it true that coaching staff losses would also be included?

If this is the case I sure would expect we'll get at least an extra pick or 2. That means we'd have 10 or 11 picks in the upcoming draft.

I anticipate some wheeling and dealing on Beane's part 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I really don't understand the compensatory draft formula. Can someone try to explain it to me?

If this is the case I sure would expect we'll get at least an extra pick or 2. That means we'd have 10 or 11 picks in the upcoming draft.

If we were to get a comp pick, it would be applied to next years draft, not this years, from the little I have gleaned of the comp pick rules…, 

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane has to restrain himself from signing too many guys. They can get two good comp picks for Wallace and Trubisky if Beane keeps them neg negative in free agency.

Beane has to restrain himself from signing too many guys EARLY.  There is a date after which comp picks do not count.

You get comp picks for losing players and not replacing them. When you're able to do that wherein it doesn't hurt you because you're loaded at the particular position or positions you're losing players in, fine. But I don't believe short suiting yourself going into the year for mid-late round picks a year later is a smart practice. And I don't think Beane does either.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

The Bills roster isn't perfect but it doesn't have a lot of holes.  This year, maybe there are a few more weak areas than last year, but last year it was really tough for a rookie to crack the 53.  There just isn't a need for 10 picks or more, since almost all the picks will make the team, and the turnover rate should be pretty constant year to year in order to keep fresh blood in the system, replace vets who leave as FAs or retire or get traded, and at the same time not let the culture get sideways before the rookies get blended in.  A late round comp pick is usually not very helpful overall.  

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane has to restrain himself from signing too many guys. They can get two good comp picks for Wallace and Trubisky if Beane keeps them neg negative in free agency.

even if they improve the team?

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is funny as if they are worried about Comp picks instead of winning a championship. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

We went from 13 seconds to host an AFC Championship game to talking about fricken comp picks within two months.  I hate comp picks because it rewards teams for letting players walk.  It's never made sense to me in a league where they have a hard salary cap with even the cheapest owners having to adhere to the minimum salary cap spending.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Teams that get screwed get  to screw back

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Basically if the Bills lose anyone in free agency the Patriots get a comp pick

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We went from 13 seconds to host an AFC Championship game to talking about fricken comp picks within two months.  I hate comp picks because it rewards teams for letting players walk.  It's never made sense to me in a league where they have a hard salary cap with even the cheapest owners having to adhere to the minimum salary cap spending.

I like it.  It gives smart teams an advantage and now that the Bills are good they should start to benefit from it.  It doesn't prevent you from signing players who were cut so it's possible to sign free agents while adding comp picks.  The Rams are the best at it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

There are multiple sources saying he was the op QB discussed at the combine. If he signs a big contract ... Eisen indicated he feels it will be surprisingly big in the video I am linking at the bottom. Pat McAfee is saying 10 mill or up. For those who hoped we would trade him in season .. we got the benefit of having him in case Josh had gotten hurt and will likely get a nice 2023 draft choice.

This just IN...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.