Falcons WR Calvin Ridley suspended indefinitely(but at minimum the entire 2022 season) for betting on games

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Process said:

Measly $1500 bet gona cost him tens of millions. 

Probably not going to help the mental health issues. 

At first, I thought it read like "I'll bet you $1500, that I don't have a gambling problem."      ....lol

But how does one get caught making bets, especially if it's only $1500? If it was something like $50k, I could see how. But $1500? With his kind of money, that's like regular people betting $20 over a game of Madden or golf or something. Just a pretty insignificant amount. If that tweet is true, that is. 

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

You absolutely 100% cannot have even a sliver of doubt about the sanctity of the result of a game.  Once you do your product is finished. Ridley is lucky to only get a year IMO.

Really? The NFLs lawyers while defending a lawsuit in court claimed that the league was purely 'sports entertainment', not unlike the WWE. So much for the sanctity of the results. 

"I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but the NFL went to court, and legally said themselves the NFL is not a sport. It is in fact an entertainment business."

'The NFL is a private business so it is entirely legal for it to pre-determine the outcome of its games, just as the WWE does. Ultimately, it need be no different than a scripted television series or movie.'

'Since the NFL argues that they are "entertainment" , than they are in charge of the outcome of their own games and can "produce" their television product'

'Entertainment not Sport' 

Your sanctity of results is an illusion that people don't want to look at very closely, like many widely accepted things in society. Most people would rather continue pretending than know the truth about things they don't want to admit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Really? The NFLs lawyers while defending a lawsuit in court claimed that the league was purely 'sports entertainment', not unlike the WWE. So much for the sanctity of the results. 

"I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but the NFL went to court, and legally said themselves the NFL is not a sport. It is in fact an entertainment business."

'The NFL is a private business so it is entirely legal for it to pre-determine the outcome of its games, just as the WWE does. Ultimately, it need be no different than a scripted television series or movie.'

'Since the NFL argues that they are "entertainment" , than they are in charge of the outcome of their own games and can "produce" their television product'

Your sanctity of results is an illusion that people don't want to look at very closely, like many widely accepted things in society. Most people would rather continue pretending than know the truth about things they don't want to admit.

You are  going to reference that quote, I would hope? 🤨

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A suspension like this is a pretty big deterrent.

He was still under contract.

With the moves toward gambling they probably had this loaded in the chamber for whoever crossed the line first. Not going to be fun being the example.

45 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

When's the last time anyone gambled on the WWE?

1 hour ago, ßookie_tech said:

At first, I thought it read like "I'll bet you $1500, that I don't have a gambling problem."      ....lol

But how does one get caught making bets, especially if it's only $1500? If it was something like $50k, I could see how. But $1500? With his kind of money, that's like regular people betting $20 over a game of Madden or golf or something. Just a pretty insignificant amount. If that tweet is true, that is. 

I read that the NFL works very closely with these gambling companies. I wouldn’t be shocked if draftkings and fanduel scrub their databases every now and then for the names of nfl players. 

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I read that the NFL works very closely with these gambling companies. I wouldn’t be shocked if draftkings and fanduel scrub their databases every now and then for the names of nfl players. 

IIRC a couple owners have significant stakes in some of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.