Falcons WR Calvin Ridley suspended indefinitely(but at minimum the entire 2022 season) for betting on games

Big Turk

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Big time story....makes you wonder if it's the first domino to fall so to speak in terms of other big names being dropped (and suspended) soon.

Perfect topic for you to call 'the Late Show' on 550 am, and expound upon your theories. 🤨

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Yep....he was basically suspended from the time he brought up “mental health issues”.  

Its a shame that “mental health issues” has become a catch-all for “I don’t want to tell you what the issue actually is.”

It diminishes its meaning and credibility for the people who actually have these issues....

Kinda makes you think the league may have helped ATL put the story forward.  The league is in bed with the gambling industry now....don't hurt business during the season!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Honest question, if the league HAD found that inside information was used or any game was in fact compromised do you think they would tell you given the way they've handled previous scandals?  I think it's pretty clear that protecting the brand is and has been the top priority.

5 day period in Late November when Ridley was away from the team. OK, so Thanksgiving weekend, Thursday through Monday.  That's really the only time period that makes sense. Also remember that sports betting is more nuanced now than just picking the outcome of games or point totals.  There are prop bets galore on individual players and those are the ones that again IMO are the most likely to be manipulated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man my phone went bonkers over this news. 

I bet it did.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The NFL is going to spin this but I'm 100% positive he was throwing games. His poor play makes sense now.

Mother of God, please tell me none of the games were against New England.

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Surprised it took this long to nab somebody. He ain’t the only player doing it.

What if a player's wife bets on the games instead of the player?  Father, mother, brother, sister, etc.  A player can have others place his bets & say he knows nothing about it.  How would they prove anything?  

Smart players who want to put bets in will have others making their bets for them.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

Measley $1500 bet gona cost him tens of millions. 

Probably not going to help the mental health issues. 

This is his story and of course he will stick to it. 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I admit, I'm intentionally ignorant about gambling.  But with the NFL pushing it, isn't it pretty likely that coaches, players, and referees may in fact be betting on games, with the smart ones who don't get caught being careful about placing their bets through family members or trusted friends rather than personally?

In which case, what Ridley is being suspended for, is being stupid?

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

What if a player's wife bets on the games instead of the player?  Father, mother, brother, sister, etc.  A player can have others place his bets & say he knows nothing about it.  How would they prove anything?  

Smart players who want to put bets in will have others making their bets for them.  

This is essentially what I am asking - how is this evidence that Ridley is engaging in conduct uniquely detrimental to the league, vs. being uniquely stupid about how he places bets?

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Measly $1500 bet gona cost him tens of millions. 

Probably not going to help the mental health issues. 

When you do something that you have been told thousands of times is against the rules and specifically endangers your employment if you do you have a problem.  That problem might not be gambling specifically. It might be arrogance, or stupidity, but it's a serious problem.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I admit, I'm intentionally ignorant about gambling.  But with the NFL pushing it, isn't it pretty likely that coaches, players, and referees may in fact be betting on games, with the smart ones who don't get caught being careful about placing their bets through family members or trusted friends rather than personally?

In which case, what Ridley is being suspended for, is being stupid?

You absolutely 100% cannot have even a sliver of doubt about the sanctity of the result of a game.  Once you do your product is finished. Ridley is lucky to only get a year IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.