Matt Araiza and the Draft

KingBoots8

On 3/2/2022 at 7:28 PM, Turbo44 said:

Can he hold for FGs though? Not joking as he was also a PK so has no experience holding 

i wouldn’t be opposed to spending our late 5th on him but nothing earlier. I can’t remember his name but there’s a 2nd elite punter in this years draft class, some rankings have him higher 

No as he is a place kicker too. And a poor one at that - 64 ℅ FG kicker last year.  What is it the late 1960s or early 1970s?

And he has only punted for one year as starter.  Maybe Beane should sign the guy who beat him out the two years prior to be our punter?

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Is this 100% true?

If so that probably at least makes him a better holder than Bojo. 

But seriously he doesn't hold? 

No as was their FG kicker.  Punted for one year only

Edited by freddyjj
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, DJB said:

Its not just the Bills who struggle rounds 3 - 7 all teams do. Statistically speaking players drafted in those rounds have a very low chance of being a successful player in the NFL. So why not draft a guy in those rounds who will be starter? 

42 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People love to boast about some back up linebacker or Safety who becomes a punt team gunner stalwart for years … and they’re normally drafted in or around the 5th Round. Why is it so odd to imagine taking the guy who actually punts the ball? I know absolutely nothing about this kid, but if he’s a sure thing, you draft him…period! And if he can’t hold, you either train him, or have your backup QB do it…since Keenum is just sitting there all game/season long. 

If he had also held for kicks all his career I'd be much more in favor of drafting him higher.  Regardless of where he's picked likely his lack of holding will cause him to drop some, if he held he would have been selected higher.  I'm also sure that ever since his season has ended, he's been practicing holding, but that doesn't make up for years of experience at it.  Have to wonder to, yes he'll learn to hold, but not something he enjoys or cares about as much as punting and doesn't put the same effort into it long term, just figuring his money is being made on kicking.  I believe the biggest reason the Bills moved on from Bojo was his issues with holding.  How'd that work out this year in Green Bay?

Sure they can work with him, but that takes time, what if in a playoff game a crucial kick is missed due to holding issues.  Personally I think as strong as the Bills offense is holding is more important than punting.

30 years ago backup QB's held all the time.  But that was when there weren't all the rules and restrictions on practice time.  Was easy at the end of practice for Reich to go over and practice kicking.  Now that's not allowed.  So for Keenum to be the holder, you're taking time away from his already limited time he has a backup QB.  It's fine as long as he's never needed in a game, but if Allen were to get hurt some week, then he may not be as prepared as he should be and you also don't want your now starting QB holding. Plus does Keenum even have any experience at it?

Would I pick him, yes, but not not before the 4th, and better have a solution for the holding part.  Maybe someone else on the roster has alot of holding experience . Though to be honest I'd question if almost any rookie punter has put much effort into improving holding?

Little tidbit on Ariaza on holding.

One of the things that makes Matt Haack so good as a holder is that he isn’t your typical soccer kid turned kicker. He was a really good wide receiver in high school who just happened to be good at punting. So he was working on ball skills in practice. 

Ariaza was a defensive back, playing a bunch of corner and safety in high school. So you have to assume he has some ball skills as it would have been a part of practice. He also kicked and punted, but because he was also a full time position player, he must have some ball skills. He was also a soccer and track star. Elite athlete, hurdler on the track team, sounds like left footed Moorman to me. 

Bojo is a soccer kid who played football. So never really had to hold or catch a football, or really use his hands at all, and to me, that’s why he is terrible at it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Instead of having to take him in the 3rd or 4th, I’d rather wait and take the Penn St or GA punter with one of sixths. Both of these guys are really good and we don’t punt all that much anyway 

The PSU punter, Stout, has much better stats involving fair catches, punts inside the 20 and touchbacks.  So, it appears he has more control of his kicks which is a big deal.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, RyanC883 said:

this would benefit the D, which to be honest obtained its rankings against a crop of average QBs. 

The fact that you repeat this thought in thread after thread does not make it any more of a valid point. The Bill”s were one of the top defenses in the league, by any measure, despite your nitpicking.  The point being made by the post you responded to is that as few times as the Bills actually punt, any incremental improvement in punting is immaterial to actual results and not worth a serious expenditure of assets.  This is objectively true.  

Edited by FLFan

Looking at the 2022 First Team All Pro Special Teamers, Tucker - K, Cole - P, Gray - Gunner, Rhodes - LS are all UDFA.  KR is Berrios 6th round #210, and PR is Duvernay 3rd Round #92.

BTW the lowest drafted first team all pro is Buffalo's Jordan Poyer, who was 7th Round #218. Lowest on Offense is J. Kelce - 6th #191

This year's all-pro team has 4 1st rounders on Offense, and 6 on defense.  TJ Watt and Heyward were both drafted at later 1st round positions than #25.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Just don't punt.  Josh go for it every 4th down.  Let the "number 1 Defense in the NFL" clean up as necessary.  

This Offense shouldn't have to worry about the other team's field position....

That only works if we are facing 8 rookies/jobbers again like last year.

I like the idea of the punt god (fun fact, my autocorrect changed this to ‘puny god’) but in truth, how many times did we punt from inside our own 30 last year? Or 20? 10?

I think we need a guy who’s proven to be highly accurate and a good holder on kicks as it seems like we tend to kick closer to the 50 than our 20.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:49 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Stout is who I think they draft with a 6th.

so I’m for Stout more than Araiza cause I think he is just as good and can be had 2 rounds later but if the excuse is that Araiza has no holding experience because he is the kicker than the same can be said for Stout who also kicks for Penn State 

• Like (+1) 1

I like punters Jordan Stout and Jake Camarda better for the Bills.

They consistently drop the ball inside the 20 and 10 yard lines during games, with excellent hang time.

That is what you want from your punter.   Not 70 yard punts.   We don't punt much, and when we do we are punting close to the 50 yard line. 

PLUS Stout and Camarda will be available to draft in the 6th or 7th round. 

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That only works if we are facing 8 rookies/jobbers again like last year.

I like the idea of the punt god (fun fact, my autocorrect changed this to ‘puny god’) but in truth, how many times did we punt from inside our own 30 last year? Or 20? 10?

I think we need a guy who’s proven to be highly accurate and a good holder on kicks as it seems like we tend to kick closer to the 50 than our 20.

The difference between the the longest net punter and Haack last year is 6 yards.  Only 2 punters who played all 17 games punted fewer times than he did. 35% of his punts were inside the 20.  38% 0f his punts were either FC's or downed (zero yards retuned).  Only 21 punts were returned for  a season total of 96 yards.  

of all the teams in the NFL, this is the one that shouldn't spend a lot of time fussing over a punter. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, John from Riverside said:

I’m not against drafting a punter But not as early as the fourth round draft a different one

Exactly...we don’t need a “punt god”...because even a mediocre punter would be light years better than Haak- who was dead last in every statistical category...👍

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.