Matt Araiza and the Draft

KingBoots8

So, we obviously have a few needs to address like lost teams in the draft. With where we are picking, it’ll likely be the 3rd or 4th best player in their respective position in Round 1. We have a few players on Defense who were early picks and have been rotational in our system, which I am fine with as they get acclimated to the NFL.

That being said, Punter is a definite need for this team. Haack certainly had some ugly punts this year, and while I don’t think we will or should address punter in round 1, it does beg the question on where we could potentially select him.

This isn’t just some kid with a decent leg- he’s the holder of multiple NCAA record and has an average of over 50 yards per punt. He’s a legitimate generational talent at his position, and could significantly help the special teams in pinning back our opponents. 

If we were to go for him, what round do you feel comfortable taking him, and so you think he will last that long?

I’d be totally fine in round 4 if he lasts that long, or moving a few late rounders to get back into the end of round 3

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not against drafting a punter But not as early as the fourth round draft a different one

Normally I would agree, but for an immediate impact player I would absolutely do it. Day 1 starter. I’d rather have him than a potential PS player waiting to make a start 3/4 of the way into the season

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

If they are sold on him being a generational player I would say round 2.  May sound crazy but if he is that good the one pick could make a big change in the field position battle every week.  As a punter the transition to the NFL should be one of the easiest.  That is hard to say about any other position.   

I dont know the guy at all but would expect him to have more than a strong leg.  He would need to drop the ball inside the 20 every time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Can he hold for FGs though? Not joking as he was also a PK so has no experience holding 

i wouldn’t be opposed to spending our late 5th on him but nothing earlier. I can’t remember his name but there’s a 2nd elite punter in this years draft class, some rankings have him higher 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Can he hold for FGs though? Not joking as he was also a PK so has no experience holding 

i wouldn’t be opposed to spending our late 5th on him but nothing earlier. I can’t remember his name but there’s a 2nd elite punter in this years draft class, some rankings have him higher 

But value added as a backup kicker.  Maybe see if he can hold at a pro-day workout.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills had a top ranked D despite a mediocre at best punter.  Plus a dynamic Offense.

This combo makes the Punter less valuable.  Let the crappy teams blow capital on a Punter.

this would benefit the D, which to be honest obtained its rankings against a crop of average QBs. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I would not use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a punter...particularly since the Bills don't punt very often in most games.

We basically lost the Steeler game because of Haack. And in week 17 Haack had punts of 28, 22 & 7, while the Jets punter averaged 50 yards. This Araiza kid is supposed to be pretty amazing. I realize you can use the argument that our offense is so good, do we really need a great punter?  A 4th might be a little rich but if he's there in the early 5th, I'd grab him.  We're moving on from Haack and you can train Araiza to hold Bass's kicks.  If Bass got hurt, Araiza can also kick fgs. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I would be extremely disappointed to see the Bills use anything higher than a 6th round pick on a punter. There were multiple games where the Bills punter only got on the field to hold for FGs. 

There was a reason for this. And it wasn’t just about Josh Allen skills. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.