Siran Neal signs 3 year deal

BillsMafi$

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean not shocking. They gave Siran Neal backup depth DB money when any undrafted free agent could've filled the position. Heck, why even waste cap space on backup players? Beane doesn't know what he's doing. Super Bowl teams don't have any backups.

not sure if you are responding to my post...

Wiki: "Neal attended and played college football at Jacksonville State and graduated with a degree in criminal justice. He was a two-time all-Ohio Valley Conference selection in 2016 and 2017, the first year as a linebacker, the second as a safety. In 2016 he made 80 tackles and an interception as a linebacker. Switching to safely in 2017, Neal made 33 tackles and had a team-high 11 pass breakups."

BB.com: "Over the last four seasons, Neal has racked up 35 tackles, forced three fumbles and recovered two fumbles on special teams. On defense, the defensive back has totaled 48 tackles, four tackles for loss and one sack since coming to Buffalo."

I'm very excited for the future of the Bills and Siran Neal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Two big points- we don't know the actual value of contract so it might not be an overpay and second how do you want Beane to evolve? We have an elite team and are one of the favorites for the Super Bowl next year.

Two big points- we don't know the actual value of contract so it might not be an overpay and second how do you want Beane to evolve? We have an elite team and are one of the favorites for the Super Bowl next year.

That's actually THREE big points.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Siran Neal is two things: 1) A freakish athlete/diamond in the rough 2) A true football player who likes to get physical and punish people

You are correct. When we beat KC in the regular season in October, Neal was instrumental in shutting down Kelce. From BB.com:

"Siran Neal was another player who saw increased usage, playing a season-high 33 defensive snaps. He was part of an effort that held All-Pro tight end Travis Kelce to 57 yards on six receptions.

Neal's defensive responsibilities came in addition to his typical role on special teams, where he forced a fumble recovered by the Bills during a kickoff in the first quarter.

"He comes every week (with a) kind of chip on his shoulder type approach, me against the world, which is what made him who he is," McDermott said. "And I think he did a phenomenal job last night balancing special teams and defense."

Mystifyingly the Bills did not use Neal the same way in the OT playoff loss.

I believe that Neal will see increased usage on defense in 2022. He is the prototypical big nickel and has been groomed for an increased role. 

Was Neal playing nickel linebacker in place of Matt Milano that game? Maybe that’s what he is, and Bryan Scott type guy. Maybe our Nickel should be him and Milano and T.E. Can hit the bench. 

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I see him more as a safety than a corner.  I guess because he is such a hard hitter.

I seem to remain the Lone Fan of Siran Neal
 Made some sweet plays on teams and does not seem to make mistakes

In his limited reps on defense (which have increased over time for good reason) he had had some nice pops and plays.
Not everyone can be all pro. But Neal fits this Team quite well

and very pleased his contract. I feel he earned his way.
Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

But you can’t reward everybody right?  Beane and McDermott have us in a great spot but it just seems like the teams who actually win Super Bowls have more of a mix of homegrown guys and outside free agents to get them over the hump.  

O, D, ST Starters who arrived via FA or trade:

Hyde

Poyer

Diggs

Beasley

Sanders

Morse

Williams

Hughes

Addison

Star

Matekevich

Jones

O, D, ST Starters who were drafted or college FA:

Allen

Davis

Knox

Singletary

Dawkins

Brown

Rousseau

Milano

Edmunds

Oliver

Phillips

White

Wallace

Johnson

Neal

J. Johnson

Looks like a mix to me.

Neal earned his.  Maximum value of 10 million over 3 years doesn’t mean his year to year money/cap is that much.

Beane and McD preach a complete team philosophy.  Their best ST player got a fair deal.   Players notice if the talk is backed up by actions.  That keeps your own players working hard and helps when it comes to the outside free agents you want them to get.   The best Recruiting tool for any business are sincerely happy employees.  

• Like (+1) 2

Excellent ST and backfield depth player signed at a very reasonable rate which likely includes incentives. Not sure the signing warrant 8 pages of commentary. Not much going on I guess.. I'll trust Beane over the punters here ridiculing the contract and the player. Ask the one and done Packers about the importance of solid special teams.   

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Was Neal playing nickel linebacker in place of Matt Milano that game? Maybe that’s what he is, and Bryan Scott type guy. Maybe our Nickel should be him and Milano and T.E. Can hit the bench. 

You're right... I had forgotten that. After some research Milano pulled his hamstring against Houston and missed the KC game.

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Siran Neal is two things: 1) A freakish athlete/diamond in the rough 2) A true football player who likes to get physical and punish people

You are correct. When we beat KC in the regular season in October, Neal was instrumental in shutting down Kelce. From BB.com:

"Siran Neal was another player who saw increased usage, playing a season-high 33 defensive snaps. He was part of an effort that held All-Pro tight end Travis Kelce to 57 yards on six receptions.

Neal's defensive responsibilities came in addition to his typical role on special teams, where he forced a fumble recovered by the Bills during a kickoff in the first quarter.

"He comes every week (with a) kind of chip on his shoulder type approach, me against the world, which is what made him who he is," McDermott said. "And I think he did a phenomenal job last night balancing special teams and defense."

I believe that Neal will see increased usage on defense in 2022. He is the prototypical big nickel and has been groomed for an increased role. 

Yeah " he did a phenomenal job the first meeting with KC, so let's not use him the 2nd time.  It's not his turn in rotation".  🙄

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's interesting to me how many Bills fans dislike core players on this team. Neal is a core player.

There is a contingent of narrow view folk that likely have bad knees from spontaneous mid leg spasms.

The  likely pay out for Neil is around two and a half million ish is a year, the rest being incentive based, that likely will never be reached. 

Edited by Don Otreply

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ok here is a different take.

Only 3 of the top 10 special teams units even made the playoffs. Bills were one of them and a special teams mistake cost them the SuperBowl.  Both SB participants were not in the top 10. 

Beane got his kicker. Great job.  That is the top priority when it comes to special teams. Haack was a terrible signing though I agree with Beane, I would not have paid Bojo either.  Cut Haack, draft another punter, and stop overspending on guys that are roster bottom feeders and have almost zero impact on the game.

Guys like Matakavich and Jones type players have almost zero impact on the game.  Neal has value as depth at every position in the secondary.  Depth is something that matters when building a team. Neal is a top notch ST player and brings additional value with versatility and upside as a DB.  He’s a super athlete with speed and power. 

that said, I’d rather not pay Neal and Matakavich 3M+.  I hope we cut Matakavich….. I’m glad that we retained Neal 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Guys like Matakavich and Jones type players have almost zero impact on the game.  Neal has value as depth at every position in the secondary.  Depth is something that matters when building a team. Neal is a top notch ST player and brings additional value with versatility and upside as a DB.  He’s a super athlete with speed and power. 

that said, I’d rather not pay Neal and Matakavich 3M+.  I hope we cut Matakavich….. I’m glad that we retained Neal 

I think it's very likely one of Matakevich and Jones will be on the roster. The Bills likely have a budget set for special teams. I know some fans think this isn't a smart front office but they likely have a plan for the cap. I can see a situation where Jones is back at a lesser price.

Matakevich had a 3+ cap hit when he first signed 2 years ago. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it's very likely one of Matakevich and Jones will be on the roster. The Bills likely have a budget set for special teams. I know some fans think this isn't a smart front office but they likely have a plan for the cap. I can see a situation where Jones is back at a lesser price.

Matakevich had a 3+ cap hit when he first signed 2 years ago. 

Yeah, that was when our qb was making 25% less and there wasn’t another core special teamer making 3M or so like Neal is.  I could see us retaining Matakavich, hopefully on a 2M av extension.  Neal and Jones are a great tandem, but I don’t see the need for both of them…..especially when we can’t get the squib kick orders to the kicker

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

A little pricy but I bet that’s heavy on incentives he is unlikely to reach.

19 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'd feel worse about spending money on a special teamer if the cupboard wasn't completely bare in terms of DB depth behind our starters. 

I never want Neal to start a game, but I can certainly think of worse things that signing a guy who you've brought up through your system as a known quantity at what appears to be a very reasonable veteran depth deal. I feel better about this than I do Mario Addison or AJ Klein.

Only ok if they cut Tyler Matakevich who makes about the same,  you cannot that kind of money on ST'S 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

This deal makes perfect sense if they cut Tyler Matakevich who makes around the same money.  The Bills are very thin at CB behind White who is returning from ACL injury. You cannot have two special teams players making a combined 6 million, CUT Tyler Matakevich or this was a overpay. The fact is Beane needs to save his cap dollars to spend on upgrading the defence which has almost no play makers on it right now

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Not mystifying at all. They can play defense very differently with their other players in the back 7 when they have Tre White on he field. He was missed big time which is why he’s an all pro with a giant contract. He’s a difference maker on this defense, not some minor piece. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.