Siran Neal signs 3 year deal

BillsMafi$

8 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Holy crap, after 20 years of NEVER re-signing our own players and overpaying for mediocre free agents, this is what we're going to B word about?

That’s what happens when you’re a legit Super Bowl contender.  The opportunity cost of signing your own increases when you don’t have to over-pay free agents to come here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Wow that seems rich for a guy who doesn’t see the field a lot, but he is quite a good athlete, back up safety/slot/nickel backer and special teamer the versatility is a bonus. If he gets that kind of deal, I genuinely question how insane the market is going to be for Wallace etc.  To me this solidifies why I thought they should lock Wallace up to a longer term deal for back up money, maybe he was too smart to do it, but I kinda feel they dropped the ball on getting him on 1 year deals.

32 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Fair enough. 

I’m just saying everything has an opportunity cost.  As another poster above pointed out, these are uptown problems but recent Super Bowl winners seem to be built differently.  More upper end guys and more guys on rookie deals contributing.  Less mid-tier guys on their 2nd contract.  

Do you have any data to back that up or just shooting from the hip?  I don't know that I agree or disagree with this assessment but I don't think paying a known commodity 3 million a year is going to be problematic regardless.

The last 2 super bowl winners were a qb away.  They had really good teams that needed improvement at the most important position in sports.  Their situation doesn't at all mirror where the Bills are.  The Chiefs with Mahomes had plenty of homegrown guys including the main 3 on offense in Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill.

I also think just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean the Bills aren't trying.  They were in on JJ Watt, they had reported interest in Ertz and Fournette.  Currently there are rumors they want to trade for CMC.  They did trade for Diggs.  They have been in on big names but haven't hamstrung themselves to bring them in.  That is a good thing.

Key words of up to tell me there's probably some incentive in there if he plays X amount of non ST snaps or if we achieve a Super Bowl or he gets named to a Pro Bowl etc. It's probably not that high without these elevators, I won't argue it as honestly Beane has done a great job of keeping the core of this team together and still allow us to add a piece here and there when needed one and our cap doesn't look horrible in doing so. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t have a problem with the signing but at what point does Beane tell his coaches that they gotta coach up the young guys so we have the money for a guy or guys who can get us over hump?  Other teams seem to make tough decisions with their own guys so they can bring in upgrades.  Bills seem to never let anybody go.  

Rarely does one post so succinctly get literally everything wrong.  Kudos to you sir.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That’s what happens when you’re a legit Super Bowl contender.  The opportunity cost of signing your own increases when you don’t have to over-pay free agents to come here.  

You literally do not know that yet.  What you do know is that homegrown talent tends to take discounts to stay with their teams especially if they are good.   I think people are going to be very suprised at what the contracts look like that are given out.

43 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Highest paid special teams player in NFL is not how you win with the second highest paid QB.  What does he do that any UDFA can't do??? He's a gunner that plays some defensive snaps from time to time. Someone posted 140 defensive snaps. That's 9 a game. Again he's a nice little player that you use while he is cheap and then you replace him with another guy just like him late in the draft or as a UDFA. 

We have no clue how the contract is structured.  Neal is one of the best gunners in the league, can play the slot, the boundary and safety.  He’s not just a ST player.  He brings valuable depth and versatility. 

The bolded is just such a ridiculous statement that I can’t waste any more time with it than I already have.  This signing will have zero bearing on us NOT winning a super bowl.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We have no clue how the contract is structured.  Neal is one of the best gunners in the league, can play the slot, the boundary and safety.  He’s not just a ST player.  He brings valuable depth and versatility. 

The bolded is just such a ridiculous statement that I can’t waste any more time with it than I already have.  This signing will have zero bearing on us NOT winning a super bowl.  

Bills punted 53 times last season. Only 17 were returned.  Thats one time per game the gunner even might make a play in the punt game. Neal had 23 tackles all season and only in one game did he have more than two. I dont care if he is the world's best gunner, 17 punt returns can be defensed with another low round draft pick or UDFA. 

Here is a positive spin. Beane did a great job finding Neal in the past and he did his job well. Awesome. Say thank you and go find the next low round pick to do the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MWK said:

Another contract overpaying a special teamer. When will we learn????? Matakevich better be GONE after this ridiculous news

The report says it's a deal with a maximum value of $10.9 million.  Doesn't mean he'll get it all.  I'm sure it's probably loaded with incentives.  So it probably breaks down to less than $3 million a year before incentives.  

Ok here is a different take.

Only 3 of the top 10 special teams units even made the playoffs. Bills were one of them and a special teams mistake cost them the SuperBowl.  Both SB participants were not in the top 10. 

Beane got his kicker. Great job.  That is the top priority when it comes to special teams. Haack was a terrible signing though I agree with Beane, I would not have paid Bojo either.  Cut Haack, draft another punter, and stop overspending on guys that are roster bottom feeders and have almost zero impact on the game.

I said at the time when everyone was talking about losing Levi and Harry etc that Siran Neal would be a guy who got a bigger contract than everyone thinks. He’s a great STs player, can play CB, Slot, can do Nickel LB. That versatility is valued in the NFL. Plus they have to protect themselves at CB

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's interesting to me how many Bills fans dislike core players on this team. Neal is a core player.

I doubt anybody disliked Neal on his rookie deal. Heck most of us think he is a quality player. I liked him in the big nickel packages. Our point is he can be replaced with another low cost version with the same production.

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Only 3 of the top 10 special teams units even made the playoffs. Bills were one of them and a special teams mistake cost them the SuperBowl.  Both SB participants were not in the top 10. 

Beane got his kicker. Great job.  That is the top priority when it comes to special teams. Haack was a terrible signing though I agree with Beane, I would not have paid Bojo either.  Cut Haack, draft another punter, and stop overspending on guys that are roster bottom feeders and have almost zero impact on the game.

He's our top nickle depth as well. Learn your team. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I doubt anybody disliked Neal on his rookie deal. Heck most of us think he is a quality player. I liked him in the big nickel packages. Our point is he can be replaced with another low cost version with the same production.

He's a core player. His cap hit will be around $3 million. In your scenario you want a  new gunner and a new depth nickle. The chances you get a rookie to do both are slim. So now you're taking up 2 roster spots and probably more cap to do what Neal can do.

Plus he's a core player in the locker room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Puke. Another overpay for a guy that plays mostly special teams. Any UDFA can do what he does. He is a decent player that can get a contract like that when you don't have superstars to pay. Beane is not evolving. 

FMSx3CjXwAU5X4x.jpg

Yea any UDFA  can demand that kind of attention lol 

He's the best in the league

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Do you have any data to back that up or just shooting from the hip?  I don't know that I agree or disagree with this assessment but I don't think paying a known commodity 3 million a year is going to be problematic regardless.

The last 2 super bowl winners were a qb away.  They had really good teams that needed improvement at the most important position in sports.  Their situation doesn't at all mirror where the Bills are.  The Chiefs with Mahomes had plenty of homegrown guys including the main 3 on offense in Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill.

I also think just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean the Bills aren't trying.  They were in on JJ Watt, they had reported interest in Ertz and Fournette.  Currently there are rumors they want to trade for CMC.  They did trade for Diggs.  They have been in on big names but haven't hamstrung themselves to bring them in.  That is a good thing.

Has there been any real inside info or articles about this other than some writer putting something out there just because he plays for Carolina?   Most of the "rumors" seem to have been started by posters here.

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I really think Beane has a better idea on the overall salary management of the team than you do and how much a guy like Neal is worth.  Sure you can replace him, but can you really get the guy that does everything that Neal does and not end up spending close to the same? 

As the season wore on, he seemed to have taken on a bigger role when going up against running formations or teams with either two or physical TE's.  Early on the guy they'd go to was more Klein which was fine if the team truly was running the ball, but not so good in coverage.   Neal filled more both roles and think we may see that grow.

Not sure I understand this teams unhealthy obsession with special teams considering how this teams season just ended. And why spend this kind of money on a run of the mill player that can likely easily be replaced by another late round pick or dirt cheap FA?

Just seems there is a very narrow focus with Beane in terms of either raiding the Carolina Panthers organization or resigning every player he's drafted to feed his own ego and belief he's some sort of draft genius. God help the fans if this guy thinks resigning anybody and everybody is the smart play and this is another 'run it back' offseason.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.