Siran Neal signs 3 year deal

BillsMafi$

16 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not sure I understand this teams unhealthy obsession with special teams considering how this teams season just ended. And why spend this kind of money on a run of the mill player that can likely easily be replaced by another late round pick or dirt cheap FA?

Just seems there is a very narrow focus with Beane in terms of either raiding the Carolina Panthers organization or resigning every player he's drafted to feed his own ego and belief he's some sort of draft genius. God help the fans if this guy thinks resigning anybody and everybody is the smart play and this is another 'run it back' offseason.

This take and others like it should be saved for Taiwan Jones. Neal is a multiple player for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Just seems there is a very narrow focus with Beane in terms of either raiding the Carolina Panthers organization or resigning every player he's drafted to feed his own ego and belief he's some sort of draft genius. God help the fans if this guy thinks resigning anybody and everybody is the smart play and this is another 'run it back' offseason.

Sources tell me it was Schoen who was the one who pounded the table to trade up for Ford and Edmunds.  He also told Beane and I quote, "Bruce Smith won't be able to hold Epenesa's jockstrap by the time this kid's career is over."  Beane's greatest flaw is that he puts too much trust in the people around him.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Sources tell me it was Schoen who was the one who pounded the table to trade up for Ford and Edmunds.  He also told Beane and I quote, "Bruce Smith couldn't hold Epenesa's jock strap by the time this kid's career is over."  Beane's greatest flaw is that he puts too much trust in the people around him.

The Giants have a lot to look forward to then.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Sources tell me it was Schoen who was the one who pounded the table to trade up for Ford and Edmunds.  He also told Beane and I quote, "Bruce Smith won't be able to hold Epenesa's jockstrap by the time this kid's career is over."  Beane's greatest flaw is that he puts too much trust in the people around him.

😂 

Pure hyperbole but funny

6 hours ago, MWK said:

Another contract overpaying a special teamer. When will we learn????? Matakevich better be GONE after this ridiculous news

While this news is very far from ridiculous this poster does make a point. We spend an awful lot on STs and didn’t really play dynamic STs last year. We basically were very good on coverage and made a few mistakes having no natural PR…

If we are going to pay that much we should get more bang for our buck, imho…. We had no real PR or a good punter and we never execute big plays. It is something to look at… If we follow our nickels everything else should be money well spent.

I particularly like Neal. He mostly looks good playing D and STs. And as others have said, he has that look like he might be able to handle a larger role…. He appears to be a Bill thru and thru as well…. I’m glad he’s here for another year but I hope the Bills are really watching that bottom line and trying to get the best deals possible (without being lowly cheapskates either.) LOL, IDK?

I really like that this Bills team is truly a team that has been together through the years. As a fan, I really appreciate that.

Congratulations, Siran Neal!

Go Bills!

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

6 pages!!!

I mean not shocking. They gave Siran Neal backup depth DB money when any undrafted free agent could've filled the position. Heck, why even waste cap space on backup players? Beane doesn't know what he's doing. Super Bowl teams don't have any backups.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean not shocking. They gave Siran Neal backup depth DB money when any undrafted free agent could've filled the position. Heck, why even waste cap space on backup players? Beane doesn't know what he's doing. Super Bowl teams don't have any backups.

Would you rather have Levi or Neal + Klein?  Would you rather have Star + Edmunds or Chandler Jones?  I’d love to bring back everyone but reality is every guy you sign means a guy that you can’t.  Our window is right now and we will never be a hotter destination than we are this off-season.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Would you rather have Levi or Neal + Klein?  Would you rather have Star + Edmunds or Chandler Jones?  I’d love to bring back everyone but reality is every guy you sign means a guy that you can’t.  Our window is right now and we will never be a hotter destination than we are this off-season.  

Huh?

38 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

While this news is very far from ridiculous this poster does make a point. We spend an awful lot on STs and didn’t really play dynamic STs last year. We basically were very good on coverage and made a few mistakes having no natural PR…

If we are going to pay that much we should get more bang for our buck, imho…. We had no real PR or a good punter and we never execute big plays. It is something to look at… If we follow our nickels everything else should be money well spent.

I particularly like Neal. He mostly looks good playing D and STs. And as others have said, he has that look like he might be able to handle a larger role…. He appears to be a Bill thru and thru as well…. I’m glad he’s here for another year but I hope the Bills are really watching that bottom line and trying to get the best deals possible (without being lowly cheapskates either.) LOL, IDK?

I really like that this Bills team is truly a team that has been together through the years. As a fan, I really appreciate that.

Congratulations, Siran Neal!

Go Bills!

If this ST unit was truly making game changing plays on a regular basis you can justify these type of moves.

But in reality this was a mostly poor unit all year with inconsistency across the board and it all culminated in the gaffe against the Chiefs which ended the season.

If we move on from guys like Matekevich and Jones than this move isn't bad at all, but if we are doubling down on ST only type of guys it's another indictment on this regime in terms of their vision for a how a team should be built in today's NFL.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

If this ST unit was truly making game changing plays on a regular basis you can justify these type of moves.

But in reality this was a mostly poor unit all year with inconsistency across the board and it all culminated in the gaffe against the Chiefs which ended the season.

If we move on from guys like Matekevich and Jones than this move isn't bad at all, but if we are doubling down on ST only type of guys it's another indictment on this regime in terms of their vision for a how a team should be built in today's NFL.

Gosselin ranked them 8th in special teams. Whatever that means.

Again, he's a main backup on defense as well. McDermott likes him in that role. 

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I like this signing and am heavily influenced by several Bills in the past have said Siran Neal is one of the teams best natural athletes. 

Siran Neal is two things: 1) A freakish athlete/diamond in the rough 2) A true football player who likes to get physical and punish people

5 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

IIRC, he was instrumental in helping to shut down Kelce in the regular season game at KC.

You are correct. When we beat KC in the regular season in October, Neal was instrumental in shutting down Kelce. From BB.com:

"Siran Neal was another player who saw increased usage, playing a season-high 33 defensive snaps. He was part of an effort that held All-Pro tight end Travis Kelce to 57 yards on six receptions.

Neal's defensive responsibilities came in addition to his typical role on special teams, where he forced a fumble recovered by the Bills during a kickoff in the first quarter.

"He comes every week (with a) kind of chip on his shoulder type approach, me against the world, which is what made him who he is," McDermott said. "And I think he did a phenomenal job last night balancing special teams and defense."

Mystifyingly the Bills did not use Neal the same way in the OT playoff loss.

I believe that Neal will see increased usage on defense in 2022. He is the prototypical big nickel and has been groomed for an increased role. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.