Siran Neal signs 3 year deal

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, Buffalosouth said:

I think 10 mil over 3 years for his services is fine. I thought the same thing too though about paying the "role players." He is making the tackle, cleaning it up, or the next closest guy on seemingly every special teams play. Brings big time energy and isn't scared to make the pads click clack. 

I'm guessing it's closer to $8 million in real cap.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t have a problem with the signing but at what point does Beane tell his coaches that they gotta coach up the young guys so we have the money for a guy or guys who can get us over hump?  Other teams seem to make tough decisions with their own guys so they can bring in upgrades.  Bills seem to never let anybody go.  

That’s exactly what they did with Neal. They coached him up and rewarded him. That’s been Beane’s philosophy from the beginning.

I doubt this deal prevents us from addressing other needs.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

All that matters is if this signing is going to help us win the Super Bowl.  Who cares if we keep a lot of our own players or not.  We were not good enuf overall to win the Super Bowl last year.  Our QB was.  Our WR's were.  The defense was not.  Siran Neal is a decent player.  But that looks like a lot of money for a guy that does not start or play a LOT on offense or defense.  Hopefully his cap hit next year is low.  Have nothing against him.  But not sure he is much of a difference maker is all.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

That’s exactly what they did with Neal. They coached him up and rewarded him. That’s been Beane’s philosophy from the beginning.

I doubt this deal prevents us from addressing other needs.

But you can’t reward everybody right?  Beane and McDermott have us in a great spot but it just seems like the teams who actually win Super Bowls have more of a mix of homegrown guys and outside free agents to get them over the hump.  

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'd feel worse about spending money on a special teamer if the cupboard wasn't completely bare in terms of DB depth behind our starters. 

I never want Neal to start a game, but I can certainly think of worse things that signing a guy who you've brought up through your system as a known quantity at what appears to be a very reasonable veteran depth deal. I feel better about this than I do Mario Addison or AJ Klein.

Once they started using Klein the way they should have from the beginning, he turned into a solid player on the defense and had a few outstanding games. Addison though? I was never really excited about that signing. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

But you can’t reward everybody right?  Beane and McDermott have us in a great spot but it just seems like the teams who actually win Super Bowls have more of a mix of homegrown guys and outside free agents to get them over the hump.  

They aren’t rewarding everyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I really dont think that will be possible.

They appear to be rewarding a player they drafted and coached up.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t have a problem with the signing but at what point does Beane tell his coaches that they gotta coach up the young guys so we have the money for a guy or guys who can get us over hump?  Other teams seem to make tough decisions with their own guys so they can bring in upgrades.  Bills seem to never let anybody go.  

They let Shaq Lawson walk because he wanted too much money.  Same with Jordan Phillips.  

They re-signed Milano, Levi Wallace, and Taron Johnson who all played important roles on the defense (coached up).

It seems like they are doing exactly what you are asking them to do.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We have that mix.  Diggs and Beasley were acquisitions from outside the team.  Daryl Williams as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Decent home grown player with some versatility. The price should’ve been relatively low. 

I didn’t realize he was so old for a guy drafted in 2018. He’ll be 28 when the season starts. 

this could be it for 33 yr old Taiwan Jones.   Too bad the worthless ex ST coach didn't give him a shot at glory in the 13 seconds.  

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Probably not too expensive. Decent depth signing. 

3 years 10.9 million

2 hours ago, MWK said:

Another contract overpaying a special teamer. When will we learn????? Matakevich better be GONE after this ridiculous news

Way more than just a special teamer...plays a key role in their big nickel package they use. Probably should actually understand what players roles are before you say dumb stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So other teams are upgrading, Bills are not and yet we have been top5 team these past two years.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

At 3 million a year that is a yes

He is more then just a special teams ace....he feels a specific role of the larger db that can still move around guy.  I felt like he was really starting to round into form last year.

IIRC, he was instrumental in helping to shut down Kelce in the regular season game at KC.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, section122 said:

They let Shaq Lawson walk because he wanted too much money.  Same with Jordan Phillips.  

They re-signed Milano, Levi Wallace, and Taron Johnson who all played important roles on the defense (coached up).

It seems like they are doing exactly what you are asking them to do.

We have that mix.  Diggs and Beasley were acquisitions from outside the team.  Daryl Williams as well.

Fair enough. 

I’m just saying everything has an opportunity cost.  As another poster above pointed out, these are uptown problems but recent Super Bowl winners seem to be built differently.  More upper end guys and more guys on rookie deals contributing.  Less mid-tier guys on their 2nd contract.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Two big points- we don't know the actual value of contract so it might not be an overpay and second how do you want Beane to evolve? We have an elite team and are one of the favorites for the Super Bowl next year.

Two big points- we don't know the actual value of contract so it might not be an overpay and second how do you want Beane to evolve? We have an elite team and are one of the favorites for the Super Bowl next year.

I want him to understand you can't waste cap space on STs when you have a star QB on a massive contract along with others like White, Edmunds, Oliver, Diggs and others that have been paid or will be paid large dollars.  Evolving means go all in to win now. Win now is not wasting cap space on a gunner. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

A contract like what?  You have no idea what the contract entails except 3 years and the max amount after incentives..….and you’re going to compare it to something?  Cmon Dr.  Do better

Highest paid special teams player in NFL is not how you win with the second highest paid QB.  What does he do that any UDFA can't do??? He's a gunner that plays some defensive snaps from time to time. Someone posted 140 defensive snaps. That's 9 a game. Again he's a nice little player that you use while he is cheap and then you replace him with another guy just like him late in the draft or as a UDFA. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Holy crap, after 20 years of NEVER re-signing our own players and overpaying for mediocre free agents, this is what we're going to B word about?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.