Brandon Beane: Top priority for offseason - protecting Josh Allen

CorkScrewHill

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/16/brandon-beane-protecting-josh-allen-is-the-first-priority-for-bills-offense-this-offseason/

I totally agree with Beane on this, and I think it has multiple facets in my opinion:

1) Better interior line play. I would think this is most likely in the form of a free agent signing. I also think this means Mongo is done in Buffalo. need to open up a spot if you are bringing someone in.

2) Calling less designed QB runs. His biggest runs come when he is scrambling on broken pass plays. I love that part of his game as well as the occasional 3rd and reasonable distant runs. QB designed runs through the gut of the defense on first or second downs, while they can be effective, are too risky IMHO

3) Keep drilling in to Josh that he needs to get down before he takes or gives a shot unless it is a truly CRITICAL play.

Direct link to the Bills piece Florio is quoting from

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/6-pressing-questions-as-the-bills-head-into-the-2022-nfl-offseason

ills general manager Brandon Beane said he wants to bring some pieces back but will also look outside of the team to help improve the roster for 2022.

"We'll have to make some moves, but I wouldn't see us being big spenders or anything like that," Beane said during the end of season press conference. "But we'll definitely look to fill some spots from the outside as well as retain some of our guys."

So if we're expecting Beane to go after Scherff or Norwell, I think we're gonna be disappointed.

It'll be interesting to see what Beach Chairs thinks he can make of the guys we got on OL.

Here's the full quote about the draft:

When it comes to pick No. 25 and beyond, what are the Bills looking for?

"I want to get better everywhere, I really do," general manager Brandon Beane said. "I'm going to look hard. I'm going to look back at the pass rush, too. And see what pieces will be leaving, and what do we have to fill in there. I'm going to start there on the defense."

As for the offense, Beane has his eye on how to help Josh Allen improve.

"First thing, I'm going to try and protect him," Beane said of Allen. "As I said earlier, I have to make sure the o-line is set and that we're confident in them. But beyond that, always looking for the various pieces."

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh the benefits of Josh Allen masking a bad OL. 

How many WRs or RBs take 3 yard passes to the house?  

Well Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Jamar Chase, Austin Ekeler, Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, Justin Jefferson, Alvin Kamara, Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb all come to mind. 

Outside of the 3 yard to the house comment, the Bills are terrible when it comes to YAC.    Our best yards after the catch guy is Diggs and he ranked 54th in the league last year.  

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And a 6M savings. So yes they can afford that dead cap 

Just don't see the Bills cutting Williams.  A pay cut sure but he started every game last year.  The Bills Oline depth is pretty weak.  Williams can also play OT.  If you cut Williams you need a starting RG and a backup tackle.  Not sure Doyle is ready for OT3.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/16/brandon-beane-protecting-josh-allen-is-the-first-priority-for-bills-offense-this-offseason/

I totally agree with Beane on this, and I think it has multiple facets in my opinion:

1) Better interior line play. I would think this is most likely in the form of a free agent signing. I also think this means Mongo is done in Buffalo. need to open up a spot if you are bringing someone in.

2) Calling less designed QB runs. His biggest runs come when he is scrambling on broken pass plays. I love that part of his game as well as the occasional 3rd and reasonable distant runs. QB designed runs through the gut of the defense on first or second downs, while they can be effective, are too risky IMHO

3) Keep drilling in to Josh that he needs to get down before he takes or gives a shot unless it is a truly CRITICAL play.

This is Cody Ford’s year.

• Dislike 1

OL was bad 3/4 of last season. Couldn’t run block, and several games where Allen was running for his life. Glad the front office sees what we see, and coaching has already been addressed.

Round 1 - CB/G/C

Round 2 - CB/G/C

If Morse is coming back, forget about C.

Sign a FA pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Protecting Josh Allen goes beyond switching up a couple interior Offensive Lineman.   It also means changes to the running back room, and getting more talent at WR.   The Bills need players who can take a 3 yard pass to the house.  It's something they've needed since Josh has been here.  

I’ve always heard that a QBs best friend was a TE and a running game 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Well Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Jamar Chase, Austin Ekeler, Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, Justin Jefferson, Alvin Kamara, Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb all come to mind. 

Outside of the 3 yard to the house comment, the Bills are terrible when it comes to YAC.    Our best yards after the catch guy is Diggs and he ranked 54th in the league last year.  

Some of the YAC is on the QB as well, along with the type of routes we run.  If I take Chase and have him running outs and curls how much YAC does he get.  But I have seen our WRs and RBs multiple times take a 3 yard pass or a Pop Pass and gain 20.  

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Just don't see the Bills cutting Williams.  A pay cut sure but he started every game last year.  The Bills Oline depth is pretty weak.  Williams can also play OT.  If you cut Williams you need a starting RG and a backup tackle.  Not sure Doyle is ready for OT3.  

And I can get a Starting OG and a BU Tackles it isnt that bad.  I still am not paying 9M cap to Williams.  He has to take a pay cut or leave IMO

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And I can get a Starting OG and a BU Tackles it isnt that bad.  I still am not paying 9M cap to Williams.  He has to take a pay cut or leave IMO

Williams knows he's getting paid starter RT money.  Pretty sure he'll take a pay cut.  Bills should cut Feliciano though, sign a FA LG who can beat out Bates, and draft a C/G who'll eventually replace Morse.

• Agree 1

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

Williams knows he's getting paid starter RT money.  Pretty sure he'll take a pay cut.  Bills should cut Feliciano though, sign a FA LG who can beat out Bates, and draft a C/G who'll eventually replace Morse.

If he reduces his hit to 5M I would be fine with that, and I will write to that when I do the OL writeup.  I think Feliciano is Traded to NYG as soon as possible.  likely brings a late round pick, but that is the trade that likely happens immediately.  Daboll there, Schoen there, Bobby Johnson loves him, will come in and help teach the scheme and would be a good contract for them post trade

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Some of the YAC is on the QB as well, along with the type of routes we run.  If I take Chase and have him running outs and curls how much YAC does he get.  But I have seen our WRs and RBs multiple times take a 3 yard pass or a Pop Pass and gain 20.  

Agree of the route tree.  However, the ability to break the first tackle and rip off gains is not something our offense does well.    You may have seen our wideouts and runningbacks have 20 yard gains on short passes, but the statistics dont support that in the least.   

4 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I totally agree that the OL is key to the Bills success.  Giving Josh another second before he needs to move or decide to run would be awesome.

I'm not saying the Bills don't need great WRs BUT giving Josh time will make average receivers look good.

An elite OL makes the running game and screen passes work with cheap RBs too.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Feliciano yes but Williams logged the most time on the OL this line, he isn't horrible and he can play both inside and outside, I think he's too valuable to replace. Sure we can look to draft someone but I don't see him as the weakest OL to me that's the RG position. 

I think Williams is a pretty good Oline player esp at RG. I wouldn’t want to completely overhaul the line as Oline is a positional group where continuity matters most. I think Mongo will likely be gone unless he takes a pay cut to put him in line with being a high end back up.

It's interesting that Beane made these comments given how good the Bills oline graded out in the final weeks of the season and into the postseason.

Dawkins - had a very poor start to the season likely attributed to his covid struggles, but graded out as the best LT in the NFL during the stretch run and into the postseason.

LG - obviously there are still questions here given the various bodies inserted into the position during the course of the season. Bates appeared to be a revelation but assuming there are still doubts he's a full time 16 game starter there and/or if they resign him.

Center - Morse was probably the best starter on the entire oline from start to finish, but still questions about his physicality specifically in the run game. Also his age/contract/concussion history could be in play here.

RG/Williams - Another are likely to look at and Williams will probably be gone unless he agrees to big paycut.

RT/Brown - Brown looks to be locked into this role heading into 2022 but depth and competition is always needed.

In the end my guess is Beane probably sticks with his usual MO of signing 'quantity over quality' in terms of the FA bodies they bring in and then look to add another key piece in the draft since they have found some good players in the middle rounds specifically.

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

I am always in favor of improving the lines on both sides of the ball. If Beane can improve the OL then that would be great. I hope they can improve the running game with Singletary or an upgrade at that position. When your QB is your biggest threat running that is a problem. I hope to see Josh run less and throw more. We can't have the franchise taking any unnecessary shots. He will get hit enough with sacks and QB pressures so no need to add to it.

It isn’t a fair comparison.  When the QB runs, there is an element of surprise for the D and there is an extra blocker (RB blocks, but QB generally does not block when the RB runs).

I also think that the way to improve the run game is by improving the blocking.  Sure, Singletary isn’t fast, but if you give him a hole he can be effective.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.