Brandon Beane: Top priority for offseason - protecting Josh Allen

CorkScrewHill

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t understand why so many people want to dump Daryl Williams. He’s a solid guard who likely takes a restructure. The guy is still young and can play 4 spots on the OL. 

??

I thought it was pretty conclusively demonstrated last pre-season that he had better not try to play LT

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Williams paid in the 4M a year range is fine with his level of play. So if he takes that paycut that is his best way of staying in Buffalo. 

I still bring in a rookie there are a lot of good interior OL. 

finally who knows what Kromer can do with Ford. He was the only OL coach to ever get anything from John Miller  

John Miller = 🤮

Beane wants to protect Josh.  How he does that we all can speculate.  I'm sure Kromer is going over all the tape of all the

current OL Bills players.  He will report to McDermott and Beane.  They will come up with the plan and pursue it.

I'm sure the plan will not only be about next season but adding to the pipeline for future years.

I'm happy!

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes Josh Allen does mask a ‘not so great’ line. No argument here. It’s been so long since the Bills have had a franchise QB that most fans don’t realize that. You can’t be great everywhere. Are they bad? No. Are they great? No. 

Agree, it is my hope that with Kromer coming in and some minor personnel changes, we will have an O-line that is far more consistent/effective with its run and pass blocking schemes, resulting in a more seamless overall offensive production.

I believe this happens because of a more cohesive OC, QBC, and OLC/RGC, working relationship. Frankly, I think we upgraded the entire offensive coaching staff, jmo. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It isn’t a fair comparison.  When the QB runs, there is an element of surprise for the D and there is an extra blocker (RB blocks, but QB generally does not block when the RB runs).

I also think that the way to improve the run game is by improving the blocking.  Sure, Singletary isn’t fast, but if you give him a hole he can be effective.  

This right here ^^^

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

John Miller = 🤮

Yep but I do want to see what Kromer can do with Ford. I don’t think he makes the final 53. But I also don’t think he gets cut before camp because I think they are going to want to see what Kromer can do with him. 

unless of course Kromer comes in and says move on immediately there is nothing I can do with this player, then like the doesn’t make it to camp. 

I really don't think he was just talking about the o-line.  It's a holistic approach to better-protecting Beane's bosses' quarter-billion dollar investment which frankly is long overdue.  I think this has been an issue for awhile - and I think it's the real area where McD became frustrated with Daboll, there were too many games where the gameplan featured slamming 17 into the defense over and over again, which feeds JA's competitive desires but is a recipe for disaster.  They need a better interior line, a more coherent complimentary running game, a strategic approach to keeping JA healthy on offense, and short pass YAC artists who can minimize the need for JA to sit back there waiting to get blasted.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

The 2nd half of the season compared to the 1st half was night & day in terms of the line & how much time Allen had.  And we saw what a difference it made.

That's the only thing you can hope for when you're playing a team w/ an elite QB like Allen:  poor line play, so you can get to him & disrupt his effectiveness. We saw that for 2 decades w/ Brady, and for much of that time, NE had one of the top lines in the league & it just added to our frustration, even when we had a great pass rush.

I'm all for keeping that as a top priority every offseason.  And during the season, running Allen MUCH less. I feel like any OC can push the "easy button" and run him more if they're just looking to keep their job, but I'm hoping the new OC has a more long-term view on that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I appear to be in the minority here but the O Line was fine down the stretch once they settled on their starting five.  I’m not as concerned as others on here with regard to Williams paycheck. If Spencer gets injured for a game of two they’ll Williams slide back outside and it won’t matter. So what do they need to do this offseason:

1. Acquire good depth through the draft and free agency especially at OG and C.

2. Work with the new OC and OL Coach on technique and assignments 

also get another RB.  Less designed Ja run plays.  

37 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

also get another RB.  Less designed Ja run plays.  

I've been hot and cold on the RB situation. What I saw at the end of the year was a team that was beginning to figure it out. They were sticking with Singletary, and using him more and more in the check down passing game. The RB by Committee experiment simply didn't work.  Now, with that said...much like CB...I would love to see the Bills bring in a rookie RB in almost every draft.  They are cheap and they don't last long.

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am not so sure Williams is gone.....he does need to take a pay cut

So if he doesn’t take the paycut is he staying? Trent Murphy called Beanes paycut bluff back in the day and Beane blinked and got burnt. Won’t happen again. 

brown was approached with a paycut and he said no. Brown was released. Only way Williams stays is with a straight paycut. At least IMO 

Edited by MAJBobby

Beane's words were music to my ears:

"First thing, I'm going to try and protect him [Allen]. "As I said earlier, I have to make sure the O-line is set and that we're confident in them."

So happy to read that for two reasons.

1.  Josh is the most important - and most expensive - guy on the team and he needs a better bodyguard to keep him healthy.

2. A better OL makes this offense more productive - even with the same skill players.   We scored a lot of points in 2021 when Josh actually had time to throw.

We have other needs but nothing's as important as upgrading the OL.  Great to hear Beane acknowledge that.

Maybe Kromer was the first step but free agency and the draft both need to produce for us.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So if he doesn’t take the paycut is he staying? Trent Murphy called Beanes paycut bluff back in the day and Beane blinked and got burnt. Won’t happen again. 

brown was approached with a paycut and he said no. Brown was released. Only way Williams stays is with a straight paycut 

I'm just curious where you got this information. 

At the time, Brown said the Bills "never even gave him a heads up", he was just released, which from what he said, was a complete surprise to him.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/john-brown-on-bills-release-we-were-never-even-given-a-heads-up/article_ab122e46-827c-11eb-83f6-2753d449feb8.html

If a player and his agent are approached about a paycut and say "no", I would think that would count as a "heads up"

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just curious where you got this information. 

At the time, Brown said the Bills did not approach him to re-negotiate, he was just released, which from what he said, was a complete surprise to him.

Sal reported it on the time I believe if I remember right. Just like what will likely happen with Beasley this offseason. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agree of the route tree.  However, the ability to break the first tackle and rip off gains is not something our offense does well.    You may have seen our wideouts and runningbacks have 20 yard gains on short passes, but the statistics dont support that in the least.   

I remember at least 3 late Singletary TDs a little swing taken to endzone from 12-15 out. 

moss similar. but Bills WRs for as good as they run routes typically don’t break them. Beasley for example this year went down on first contact. 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He has in the past, you need an emergency LT he’s your guy. 

Except, when the Bills needed an emergency LT, their solution was to move Spencer Brown to LT, and move Williams out to RT then backfill at guard.

If they thought Williams was their emergency LT, why wouldn't they just put him there and only move 2 positions instead of 3?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.