Brandon Beane: Top priority for offseason - protecting Josh Allen

CorkScrewHill

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I appear to be in the minority here but the O Line was fine down the stretch once they settled on their starting five.  I’m not as concerned as others on here with regard to Williams paycheck. If Spencer gets injured for a game of two they’ll Williams slide back outside and it won’t matter. So what do they need to do this offseason:

1. Acquire good depth through the draft and free agency especially at OG and C.

2. Work with the new OC and OL Coach on technique and assignments 

Ahhh the benefits of Josh Allen masking a bad OL. 

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Protecting Josh Allen goes beyond switching up a couple interior Offensive Lineman.   It also means changes to the running back room, and getting more talent at WR.   The Bills need players who can take a 3 yard pass to the house.  It's something they've needed since Josh has been here.  

How many WRs or RBs take 3 yard passes to the house?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Buh bye Feliciano and Williams. 

going to anticipate a lot of changes for when I get to my OL write up. 

I strongly disagree with Williams. We need to have better starters and better depth and thus cutting Williams makes no sense imo. If he gets too much for RG then fine try to change his contract but even if that is not possible keep him unless you are sure you actually get someone better.

I am happy to hear this from Beane, I think OL should be top priority.

My plan is to tender or re-sign Bates, keep Williams, get top OL FA we can afford (up to 10M AAV or so), draft OL in first three rounds (probably OG, but could be also OT if he is possibly good enough to replace Dawkins and move him to LG). I assume Morse retires, that is how you pay OL FA. If not, still try to get best FA possible (presumably little cheaper one).

Then roll with Dawkins-rookie-Bates-FA-Brown with Williams as primary backup + Doyle. Then rest of depth should be whoever they consider best from Ford/Feliciano/Boettger/other FA/other later round draft pick. If Morse stays, even better.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You may very well be right but I expect someone on the DL either within the first three rounds of the draft or as a FA signing.  I also believe that the Bills are confident in Doyle and he will be the swing tackle as long as Dawkins continues to play well.  Some season down the road Brown will be the LT and Doyle will be the RT.  The Bills will probably be looking at a guard or center or both this year.

Beane's free agent moves usually provide a strong indication of his draft direction.  

Saw a tweet last week about Dawkins being the highest rated LT by PFF since week 13. 

As long as they bring back Bates and re-sign Boettger for depth, I think at most they look for someone in R1-3 who can play G/C, then maybe another late pick.  I'm in the camp that thinks it won't take much to fortify--meaning finding their top 8--the line this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

I strongly disagree with Williams. We need to have better starters and better depth and thus cutting Williams makes no sense imo. If he gets too much for RG then fine try to change his contract but even if that is not possible keep him unless you are sure you actually get someone better.

I am happy to hear this from Beane, I think OL should be top priority.

My plan is to tender or re-sign Bates, keep Williams, get top OL FA we can afford (up to 10M AAV or so), draft OL in first three rounds (probably OG, but could be also OT if he is possibly good enough to replace Dawkins and move him to LG). I assume Morse retires, that is how you pay OL FA. If not, still try to get best FA possible (presumably little cheaper one).

Then roll with Dawkins-rookie-Bates-FA-Brown with Williams as primary backup + Doyle. Then rest of depth should be whoever they consider best from Ford/Feliciano/Boettger/other FA/other later round draft pick. If Morse stays, even better.

I get it. But running it back with the same people would accomplish what?  Williams needs a paycut or GONE. He isn’t a RT he is barely a RT. 

when you are negative Cap those are the moves that need to be made 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh the benefits of Josh Allen masking a bad OL. 

Yes Josh Allen does mask a ‘not so great’ line. No argument here. It’s been so long since the Bills have had a franchise QB that most fans don’t realize that. You can’t be great everywhere. Are they bad? No. Are they great? No. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yea Feliciano and Williams are nice cap savings, maybe Williams can fetch a day three draft pick for someone desperate for a RT. I think Bates is back and I hope it’s maybe a 3 year deal worth around $3-4m a year. I also would like to see if Kromer can get anything out of Ford. Draft an IOL in the first three rounds and maybe one late with one of the 4 picks in rounds 6 & 7.  It will be interesting to see what vet is brought In to compete for the swing tackle job with Doyle. 
OP also brings up another interesting aspect as far as philosophy regarding runs for Josh. Maybe this was discussed with Dorsey before the hire as OC. It will mean additions at RB either through the draft or FA. Need to find someone with speed, like Breida, but who also can block and reads the playbook. 

Ever dial in and watch Ford “try” and block at the second level. This is a sight to behold 😂. If Kromer can fix that, then he has some special powers 😊

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Ever dial in and watch Ford “try” and block at the second level. This is a sight to behold 😂. If Kromer can fix that, then he has some special powers 😊

Yep I have and do see the same when trying to Watch John Miller with no Kromer. Not saying he will be able to fix him. And Ford is on outside looking in for the 53. But will get to camp. 

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/16/brandon-beane-protecting-josh-allen-is-the-first-priority-for-bills-offense-this-offseason/

I totally agree with Beane on this, and I think it has multiple facets in my opinion:

1) Better interior line play. I would think this is most likely in the form of a free agent signing. I also think this means Mongo is done in Buffalo. need to open up a spot if you are bringing someone in.

2) Calling less designed QB runs. His biggest runs come when he is scrambling on broken pass plays. I love that part of his game as well as the occasional 3rd and reasonable distant runs. QB designed runs through the gut of the defense on first or second downs, while they can be effective, are too risky IMHO

3) Keep drilling in to Josh that he needs to get down before he takes or gives a shot unless it is a truly CRITICAL play.

Josh’s interview with jay skurski at the SB he said the biggest thing he is working on this off-season is sliding 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I get it. But running it back with the same people would accomplish what?  Williams needs a paycut or GONE. He isn’t a RT he is barely a RT. 

when you are negative Cap those are the moves that need to be made 

Well that is not what I am saying. I want to upgrade the line in draft and FA so Williams can become BACKUP. It is not running it with the same people. 

I do understand our cap situation. What I am saying is that I'd save money elswhere. I am willing to pay even backup OL more than teams usually do just to make sure OL is best as possible and I will not see another Jags game anymore. And unless you can get a player who is actually BETTER than Williams I keep him and don't care about the cap.

If we need to save money, then try to trade Edmunds. I think he is better than most people give him credit for, but we can't pay everyone and we are already paying Milano (and I'd rather keep Oliver and Knox in upcoming future). But that is another discussion :)

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep I have and do see the same when trying to Watch John Miller with no Kromer. Not saying he will be able to fix him. And Ford is on outside looking in for the 53. But will get to camp. 

Ford was good run blocker at end of season. He’s a cheap and fine depth piece on the OL this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Definitely makes it to camp, and really needs a huge turnaround. Bills brass may have to admit they missed on a 2nd rounder: This happens but to hang on to a high draft pick to save face is never wise. If Ford does have a resurrection per say, I fully expect the Bills to move on from Cody 😊

My biggest worry headed to the offseason was that Bates had done just enough and Brown showed just enough promise that Beane would convince himself he could "run it back" again with that line.

Glad to see that may not be the thinking. I like Bates and Brown...but both have to earn it IMO. Signing the Bobby Harts of the NFL as back up plans isn't going to cut it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

CB round 1 and OL rounds 2 and 3 please 

Only if it matches their board though - no reaching just because those are positions the Bills need improvement.  If a WR (for example) is by far their highest rated guy, take him.  If it's even and a CB/Lineman is there, take him.  Don't take those positions just to take them 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Well, I think a dozen or two other GMs are saying the exact same thing.   Accomplishing it is another matter given the shortage of experienced O Linemen in the NFL right now.   Heck if Bungles are relying on Quinton Spain to handle Aaron Donald in SB crunch time, that tells you a lot about the shortage of O Line talent in the NFL. 

I'm sure Beane will do everything possible to improve the roster, as he does every year.  

It’s also the Bengals 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yea Feliciano and Williams are nice cap savings, maybe Williams can fetch a day three draft pick for someone desperate for a RT. I think Bates is back and I hope it’s maybe a 3 year deal worth around $3-4m a year. I also would like to see if Kromer can get anything out of Ford. Draft an IOL in the first three rounds and maybe one late with one of the 4 picks in rounds 6 & 7.  It will be interesting to see what vet is brought In to compete for the swing tackle job with Doyle. 
OP also brings up another interesting aspect as far as philosophy regarding runs for Josh. Maybe this was discussed with Dorsey before the hire as OC. It will mean additions at RB either through the draft or FA. Need to find someone with speed, like Breida, but who also can block and reads the playbook. 

I love it hopefully that back is Rasaad Penny on a team friendly deal. We need a back that can relive stress from Josh and put the D on notice. Penny is that weapon he averaged 6.3 yds per carry behind that Seahawks Oline last yr and that’s including it took him some time to get healthy during the year so once he did he was averaging over 8-9 yds a carry in last 4 games. That’s amazing numbers 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.