Rodgers

Overall playoffs 11-9

Conference Championship 1-4

Superbowl 1-0 with 1 SB MVP

Elway

Overall playoff record 14-7

Conference Championship 5-1

Superbowl 2-3 with 1 SB MVP 

Elway (prior to his final 2 seasons with a stacked team)

Overall playoffs 7-7

Conference Championship 3-1

Superbowl 0-3 (1 bad and 2 dreadful games)

Honestly I don't know if either guy should be considered clutch in the playoffs. Elway's 5-1 conference title record is impressive, but he followed those up with 4 pretty bad SB performances. Rodgers only made the SB once, but in that one appearance he had a fantastic game. Elway may have the slightly better playoff career than Rodgers, but the better regular season career is Rodgers by far (and Rodgers isn't over yet). 

Elway had The Drive. Rodgers had the divisional game vs Cowboys that I linked earlier. 

Saying that Elway is far and away the more clutch player is a combination of viewing Elway through rose colored glasses, and discounting Rodgers based on recency bias. 

These are all fair points. the only one i see thats sorta grasping is you keep trying to discount elways last 2 seasons. That doesnt make a lot of sense to me. it was part of his career... Are you saying that a packers team thats gone 13-3 for 3 straight seasons is bereft of talent?

... rodgers still has a couple years to write his story. he very well might end up winning a title or 2 on a talented team(may or may not be GB) and solidify himself as a top 3-ish. i suppose we'll discount that as well, just to be fair?

Edited by Stank_Nasty

This is a really fun topic and almost certainly needs to be divided.

Rodgers is no doubt a top 5 talent, and a top 3 performer in the regular season. 

The year he won the Superbowl, he played some of the best football I've ever seen in the playoffs. 

However, that was before he was a known diva. Over the last however many years, je just hasn't been as special. I also tend to put more stock into playoff football. Tony Romo was a great reg season QB, Eli was just the opposite. I would've taken Eli, and would trust him over Rodgers in the playoffs. I almost think that Rodgers is very aware of his placement, and likely cares about his stats/rating. Maybe one of the reasons his pick totals are so low, is that he sometimes plays it safe, instead of pushing the envelope like a Josh, or Mahomes will do.

I also have only been watching football for about 30 years, and I would have to say.

Brady

Montana

Manning

Young

Kurt Warner 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Defender was tied up with a receiver.  He jogs in easily.  Instead tosses a pass into the turf.  game over.

I bet Rodgers would rather have 2 SB wins/SB MVPs....say, like Eli Manning.

Defender was not tied up with a receiver. I mean deep in the end zone, that guy might have been, but shallow and just slightly outside Rodgers a receiver was doubled and the one guy was outside him and not tied up. He could easily have fired off outside. And it was Delaney, a CB. He'd have had an excellent chance of catching up to him. He was actually about two steps outside of Rodgers as Rodgers threw.

Just went and looked on Game pass. Delaney would have had an excellent shot at making the play. He runs a 4.46 40.

I don't like Rodgers. He's a jackass. But he was presented with two very very tough options.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I mean if your going to dog on Rodgers you have to dog on Marino for his playoff failures 

Marino only got to one Superbowl and was blown out.

24 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

This is a really fun topic and almost certainly needs to be divided.

Rodgers is no doubt a top 5 talent, and a top 3 performer in the regular season. 

The year he won the Superbowl, he played some of the best football I've ever seen in the playoffs. 

However, that was before he was a known diva. Over the last however many years, je just hasn't been as special. I also tend to put more stock into playoff football. Tony Romo was a great reg season QB, Eli was just the opposite. I would've taken Eli, and would trust him over Rodgers in the playoffs. I almost think that Rodgers is very aware of his placement, and likely cares about his stats/rating. Maybe one of the reasons his pick totals are so low, is that he sometimes plays it safe, instead of pushing the envelope like a Josh, or Mahomes will do.

I also have only been watching football for about 30 years, and I would have to say.

Brady

Montana

Manning

Young

Kurt Warner 

Until Allen came along this playoff. Best two game stretch of QB play in the playoffs you'll ever see...149 QB rating is crazy

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Rodgers

Overall playoffs 11-9

Conference Championship 1-4

Superbowl 1-0 with 1 SB MVP

Elway

Overall playoff record 14-7

Conference Championship 5-1

Superbowl 2-3 with 1 SB MVP 

Elway (prior to his final 2 seasons with a stacked team)

Overall playoffs 7-7

Conference Championship 3-1

Superbowl 0-3 (1 bad and 2 dreadful games)

Honestly I don't know if either guy should be considered clutch in the playoffs. Elway's 5-1 conference title record is impressive, but he followed those up with 4 pretty bad SB performances. Rodgers only made the SB once, but in that one appearance he had a fantastic game. Elway may have the slightly better playoff career than Rodgers, but the better regular season career is Rodgers by far (and Rodgers isn't over yet). 

Elway had The Drive. Rodgers had the divisional game vs Cowboys that I linked earlier. 

Saying that Elway is far and away the more clutch player is a combination of viewing Elway through rose colored glasses, and discounting Rodgers based on recency bias. 

Agreed. 

Wins is a team stat.

How the QB plays, QB stats basically, that's how you judge the QB. Or how you do it with stats anyway. 

Rodgers has played three out of 22 playoff games with a QB rating below 90. He's been very good in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Defender was not tied up with a receiver. I mean deep in the end zone, that guy might have been, but shallow and just slightly outside Rodgers a receiver was doubled and the one guy was outside him and not tied up. He could easily have fired off outside. And it was Delaney, a CB. He'd have had an excellent chance of catching up to him. He was actually about two steps outside of Rodgers as Rodgers threw.

Just went and looked on Game pass. Delaney would have had an excellent shot at making the play. He runs a 4.46 40.

I don't like Rodgers. He's a jackass. But he was presented with two very very tough options.

His pass had zero chance of being caught in the End Zone.  Run was best chance.  Never looked.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I see that logic and agree. However, the other side of the argument..this is who he's been by and large his career in the postseason. Odd timing to finally drop him down after the last 2 seasons he's had is all.

For me this season he had a top D that showed up big time limiting the 49ers O all game and he failed to elevate his game for that one critical drive to win the game. 

Last year he had the win in his hands or rather feet and instead decided make a bad throw. Even if he doesn’t score it be 4th and goal from like the. They probably go for it.. 

For me a true MVP shows up in both those games to win them.  Mind you I thought Brady deserved it over him this year.  I mean if the team is down 27-3 NO one thinks Rogers will lead them back for a win. Hell he probably phones in the rest of the game.

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok a friend of mine (a huge Rogers fan) and I are debating on how great Rogers is. He states he is top 5 all time.  I say he is maybe top 10 and that his choking in playoff games isn’t helping him. 

he points to his playoff stats 5894 yards 22 TD and 13 INT in 21 games.

I say that’s nice but just look at the last two years. In 2020 he had 3rd and Goal from the 5 and could have easily run it in and he throws it into double coverage. This year he barely gets 10 points on the 49ers, and worse fails to get even one first down deep in his own end which lead to a punt block.

I say the lack of being clutch keeps him out of the top 5. 

You need to post your top 5 if you're going to claim he's not top 5.

5 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

If I were to start an all time team, Rodgers would be in strong consideration for QB. 

That be a fun one to do… QB be the toughest to decide…I see a lot of biased based on the uniform the person cheers for.. for me

QB — Brady, Montana, Kelly… 

RB — Barry Sanders, Sweetness, Curtis Martin

WR — Moss, Rice, Fitzgerald

TE — Gronk, Gates, Tony G.

those mine and for QB I’d take Mahomes, and Big Ben over Rogers 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You need to post your top 5 if you're going to claim he's not top 5.

I did:

Brady, Manning, Montana, Graham, Marino. 

I also have Elway, starbauck, and Unitas ahead of him.

Otto Graham was a very good QB.  He played for the Belichick of his era, Paul Brown (after whom the Browns are named)).  The Cleveland Browns were so good that they won all 4 championships of the All-American Football Conference (the Bills were one of the AAFC teams).  When the AAFC folded in 1949 the Browns joined the NFL and won the 1950 NFL championship plus the 1954 & 55 championships with Otto at the helm.

Edited by Old Coot
  • Like (+1) 1

Unitas did it all.  He called his own plays and played in an era when the D was allowed to beat up the QB.  Halas' Bears were notorious for being dirty players.

It's really impossible to say who the GOAT or rank QBs.  As others have stated the game has changed so much.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That be a fun one to do… QB be the toughest to decide…I see a lot of biased based on the uniform the person cheers for.. for me

QB — Brady, Montana, Kelly… 

RB — Barry Sanders, Sweetness, Curtis Martin

WR — Moss, Rice, Fitzgerald

TE — Gronk, Gates, Tony G.

those mine and for QB I’d take Mahomes, and Big Ben over Rogers 

I did:

Brady, Manning, Montana, Graham, Marino. 

I also have Elway, starbauck, and Unitas ahead of him.

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok a friend of mine (a huge Rogers fan) and I are debating on how great Rogers is. He states he is top 5 all time.  I say he is maybe top 10 and that his choking in playoff games isn’t helping him. 

I say that’s nice but just look at the last two years. In 2020 he had 3rd and Goal from the 5 and could have easily run it in and he throws it into double coverage. This year he barely gets 10 points on the 49ers, and worse fails to get even one first down deep in his own end which lead to a punt block.

Lol talk about lack of clutch. Aaron Rodgers is Marino if Marino won a Superbowl. 

Statistically he's top 5. Sometimes it's just bad matchups and sometime there's something intangible that can't be captured in stats. I don't know what it is, but I don't necessarily think it's all a Rodgers problem. Of course all the attention is on the QB, but I don't think He's ever completely ***** the bed in a playoff game. He's Marinoesque

Top 5 all time? No way 

1 TB12 7 trophies 

2 Joe Montana 4 rings

3 Johnny Unitas 3 nfl titles and a super bowl 

4 Roger Staubach So unbelievably good that do to his military commitment he couldn’t even join the league till he was 27 and he was still voted one of the best players of all time

5 John Elway this is Josh Allen 1.0 for those of us who remember him he was as close to a one man team as anyone ever

Aarons good maybe 10ish but he’s nowhere near these guys 

46 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Maybe it’s the way I remember watching those games… Marino was like a surgeon and dang did it hurt when he operated. 

Time has been kind to Marino for that exact reason. You also played him twice a year.

Time will be kind to Aaron. He will be regarded as a champion, a multiple MVP/AllPro etc etc. Bears and Vikings fans will always remember how much he owned them over 15 season, how unstoppable he was. 

Honestly, the room in the top 5 grows smaller with every year. I’m someone who WOULD have Manning and Brady obviously. Montana because I know him. Unitas, Staubach are just names of guys I didn’t watch play.  

Rodgers has it all. You just have to win one. Very few win one let alone multiple. 

On 2/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

His pass had zero chance of being caught in the End Zone.  Run was best chance.  Never looked.

It really wasn't zero chance. A good throw could have been a touchdown. That wasn't a good throw.

But everyone has bad throws time to time. Even the best. Even Josh Allen.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Top 5 all time? No way 

1 TB12 7 trophies 

2 Joe Montana 4 rings

3 Johnny Unitas 3 nfl titles and a super bowl 

4 Roger Staubach So unbelievably good that do to his military commitment he couldn’t even join the league till he was 27 and he was still voted one of the best players of all time

5 John Elway this is Josh Allen 1.0 for those of us who remember him he was as close to a one man team as anyone ever

Aarons good maybe 10ish but he’s nowhere near these guys 

Wins are a team stat. They are not a QB stat. They just aren't.

If they were you'd be forced to believe that Matt Stafford was a far below average QB for his first 12 years and then miraculously became one of the best in the league this year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/11/2022 at 7:10 AM, PatsFanNH said:

maybe, but especially if you break Tom Brady into Tampa Tom where he was super elite vs his time in New England, where he was just behind Manning as a QB.. 😉 

On 2/11/2022 at 5:48 AM, gonzo1105 said:

Go back and watch the 1992 AFC title game in Miami. The Dolphins won the division had home field and the Bills and Kelly in particular were incredibly sloppy. 

Lost the SB in 84, lost the AFC title game in 85, 90 Divisional round, 92 AFC title game, 94 they lost to the damn Chargers with Stan Humphries are you kidding,95 to the Bills , 97 to the Patriots, 98 to the Broncos. There is a lot of playoff failure there. 

Marino had some pretty good running backs. Problem was he called a lot of his own plays and wouldn't hand the dam ball off. Big arm, bigger ego!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

image.thumb.png.fb3e5f3528f336a2b7f4d0452954c560.png

Could've been a TD if it had been a really good pass. It wasn't. It was an instant late, really.

And here's where you see the CB who is further outside than Rodgers was and was not going to have to disengage. There's a possibility Rodgers escapes him with a juke or something, but I don't think it's a very good chance.

image.png.44e58d76be71da10b4abdccbd8ef5b63.png

image.png

• Agree 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, PatsFanNH said:

My top all time 5 are - Brady, P Manning, Marino, Montana, and Otto Graham.

If you ding Rodgers for his playoff performances, then how can Marino stay in your top 5 over say, Elway or Kelly even? May I add that Marino not once, not ever, beat Jim Kelly in the playoffs—despite facing him there almost every year during the Bills 90’s run…as for regular season ball, Rodgers is more than on par with Marino there, imho. 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:48 AM, gonzo1105 said:

Go back and watch the 1992 AFC title game in Miami. The Dolphins won the division had home field and the Bills and Kelly in particular were incredibly sloppy. 

Lost the SB in 84, lost the AFC title game in 85, 90 Divisional round, 92 AFC title game, 94 they lost to the damn Chargers with Stan Humphries are you kidding,95 to the Bills , 97 to the Patriots, 98 to the Broncos. There is a lot of playoff failure there. 

That 92 AFC Championship featured the leg of Steve Christie in particular—Kelly was just coming back from a bad knee(?) injury and still seemed gimpy/rusty, yet was more than a match for Marino in Rich Stadium South. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If they were you'd be forced to believe that Matt Stafford was a far below average QB for his first 12 years and then miraculously became one of the best in the league this year.

Like Joe Flacco?

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Could've been a TD if it had been a really good pass. It wasn't. It was an instant late, really.

And here's where you see the CB who is further outside than Rodgers was and was not going to have to disengage. There's a possibility Rodgers escapes him with a juke or something, but I don't think it's a very good chance.

image.png

you're wrong.  he wasn't going to run up the middle.  he would go to the right side--every defender but one is moving to his left--towards the receiver.  he had a shot to the EZ easily.

Edited by Mr. WEO

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Like Joe Flacco?

you're wrong.  he wasn't going to run up the middle.  he would go to the right side--every defender but one is moving to his left--towards the receiver.  he had a shot to the EZ easily.

I think he makes it in if he commits to it and goes 100%. 

If not, you're at the 2-3 yard line. Go for it on 4th down there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rodgers is a great QB. I would not put him in the top 5 all time just because there are a lot of great QBs. Maybe top 10?

If he goes and wins another Superbowl or two, that changes. We'll see.

A few QBs that would be tough or impossible for him to pass up (in my mind) without more championships: Brady, Manning, Montana, Young, Elway, Graham, and Unitas.

I put Rodgers in the same category as Brees and Marino. Absolutely amazing QB's. If they could have won another championship or two (or even one for Marino), they would be top 5 easy.

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

image.png

Agree. I have no problem with this decision. The problem is he made the decision just a split second too late. He still might have been able to complete that pass. When Rogers lets that pass go, Adams has some room If Rogers could have put some zip on the throw and had better placement. However, it just wasn't a good pass. It fluttered when it left his hand and was on the inside of Adams.

I also think Adams could have tried to move back toward Rogers to catch that pass. It would have brought him out of the endzone, but would have been a 4th and goal from the 1 instead of the 8 if he would have caught it. Maybe they go for it on 4th instead of kicking the field goal.

123.thumb.jpg.a537b21f9f9f81371eb627076d1b81c0.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.