OL coach Bobby Johnson headed to NY, has signed contract

YoloinOhio

I think there are ways to circumvent the rule that allows Beane to block him leaving. Daboll could offer Johnson the O-Line Coach job, with a secondary title of Run Game Coordinator or something, which would then qualify as a promotion.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought he might go after asst OL coach Ryan Wendell who he knows from NE. Maybe both? 

The Bills *might* be ok with it? Not sure what they think of him…

The point is, Daboll can't "poach" him. 

The Bills may release him [Edit: to take another position] vs. terminating him, if they have someone different in mind and he has a job to go to.

They did this with Teerlinck and Culley.  But VTech and the Ravens didn't "poach" those guys.

29 minutes ago, MWK said:

IF he’s the one who kept Bates on the bench, good riddance. The O-Line also hasnt exactly lit it up either.

I'm pretty sure the guilty party is McBeane for two reasons. One, they couldn't except their major investment Cody Ford was a failure and the second, they liked Bates to back up everything....

Coaches make mistakes like everyone else, get over it. Maybe they didn't notice Bates mature into the job? Or Maybe Bates needed to play for everyone including Bates to Billieve it? It happens....

13 minutes ago, 947 said:

I think there are ways to circumvent the rule that allows Beane to block him leaving. Daboll could offer Johnson the O-Line Coach job, with a secondary title of Run Game Coordinator or something, which would then qualify as a promotion.

The NFL rules are quite specific about what they regard as a coordinator position that can not be blocked. 

Here's the language:

After the conclusion of the regular season through March 1, clubs are prohibited from

denying an assistant coach the opportunity to interview with a new team for a bona fide

Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, or Special Teams Coordinator position.

Criteria for hiring club:

In order for permission to be automatically granted, such a request cannot be for a shared position. A shared position is defined to include:

If there is another coach or consultant at the same position;

If there is a coach or consultant who has a similar responsibility title with the prefix "co-";

If on the side of the ball for which permission is sought, there is a coach or consultant who has any coordinating responsibility (run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, etc.) or who had such responsibility in the prior season.

In order to ask for permission, there can be no assistant coach on the hiring club's staff who has the title of assistant head coach or its equivalent.

For the purposes of this policy, the coordinator (offensive, defensive, or special teams) is defined as an individual whose job responsibilities at least include:

Leads/coordinates all "team" meetings on their side of the ball;

Reports directly to the Head Coach and supervises the position coaches on their side of the ball; and

Must play a role in the development of the game plan but is not required to call the plays during games.

So no, calling Johnson the "O-line coach and run game coordinator" would not meet the above rules.

10 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I'm pretty sure the guilty party is McBeane for two reasons. One, they couldn't except their major investment Cody Ford was a failure and the second, they liked Bates to back up everything....

Coaches make mistakes like everyone else, get over it. Maybe they didn't notice Bates mature into the job? Or Maybe Bates needed to play for everyone including Bates to Billieve it? It happens....

I dunno about "couldn't accept", but certainly Cody Ford was given every opportunity to show he could play.  But he wasn't keeping Bates on the bench, as Williams subbed in for Ford and Bates didn't get his shot until Feliciano, then Boettger went down.

IMHO Bates was behind Boettger on the depth chart in part because he was the backup C and could play across the line, but also because I think they were better than he (which is not saying much, Mind) at the zone run blocking schemes the Bills were stubbornly and unsuccessfully trying to run. 

When the Bills switched to running a lot more gap schemes, the math changed. 

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to say, these NY Giants sports guys are NOT impressing me with their football coverage so far.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he's joining them, it's because the Bills are letting him leave.  And I assume the Gints will use at least 1 of their high 1st rounders on an OL.  Better not whiff.

It's probably bad practice to block assistant coaches from leaving if they want to leave.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he's joining them, it's because the Bills are letting him leave.  And I assume the Gints will use at least 1 of their high 1st rounders on an OL.  Better not whiff.

Agreed. I think Johnson saw the writing on the wall. We can get so much better with the oline coaching. Pats’ oline success is almost exclusively product of good coaching. 

• YoloinOhio changed the title to OL coach Bobby Johnson a possible Daboll poach (update - headed to NYG)

All I have to go in is the tweet above that says "in the same role."  I assume that means it's a lateral move.  As I undestand the rules, the Bills would have the right to deny permission, but certainly can waive that right if they so choose.  If (a) they were considering moving on from Johnson anyway, (b) Johnson wanted to move on from the Bills, there's no reason they should our would deny permission.  Even if they wanted to keep Johnson, it's never good to keep someone who is ready to move on.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is, Daboll can't "poach" him. 

The Bills may release him vs. terminating him, if they have someone different in mind and he has a job to go to.

They did this with Teerlinck and Culley.  But VTech and the Ravens didn't "poach" those guys.

Ahem

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It's probably bad practice to block assistant coaches from leaving if they want to leave.

Unless it’s Dorsey, I would assume that a new OC will want his own assistants so I’m not surprised that offensive assistant coaches are wanting to leave.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought he might go after asst OL coach Ryan Wendell who he knows from NE. Maybe both? 

The Bills *might* be ok with it? Not sure what they think of him…

I figured he was on a list to be released this offseason. The Bills line was not impressive until the final few games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.