McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2.5 days in, let me be as objective as possible. 

We are not Josh Allen and there is a reason why the word fan is a diminutive. The ‘13 seconds’ is ALL on the Head Coach to defend the wunderkind performance of his young Superstar QB! 

He failed miserably, both in the Squib Kick option and the setting of the Defense to prevent that FG. The ONLY goal in these efforts is to preserve victory, through the elimination of a very scarce commodity- TIME! Thus, with that small amount left in the game, you must, must eliminate 6-7 seconds through a squib kick, even if the return man gets to the 35 or 40. That leaves ONE and only one attempt to get 30-40 more yards. For that play, you must hold, disrupt, etc. both Kelce & Hill for another 5 seconds.

Which leaves KC with one Hail Mary attempt from the 50 assuming a Holding Penalty call!

So, it is more than reasonable for angry fanatics to demand that their HC explain, why those things weren’t accomplished, let alone, apparently not even thought of! 

Full disclosure:

I am one who normally thinks that Prosecutors & Investigators of major crimes should never disclose the hidden details of how they reached their successful guilty goal. 

Likewise, if in Pro Sports, a HC or Manager has an advantage, insight, detail as to why success occurred, he/ she is a fool to disclose it. 

HOWEVER, the only down side to McD telling his version of what he planned and executed, would be to disclose that he wanted to Squib Kick for future, similar, situations. And after a Billy’s Millennium of total FUBARs and hell, he should of.

NOT to throw anyone under the Bus, just to confirm that he knows the correct strategies and that those will be rectified in the future.

I can't disagree with any of this.  I would as a fan like to know "Why?"  And as McD said in his presser without throwing anyone under the bus, that for a team like the Bills who practices situational football and situational awareness, to fail to "execute", you have to believe that something that was intended, didn't occur as expected.

So fans that ask "why?" are fine.  It's those with the "off with their heads", "fire everyone" mentalities that need to follow Josh's example.  You do not make permanent decisions based on temporary emotions.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

I can't disagree with any of this.  I would as a fan like to know "Why?"  And as McD said in his presser without throwing anyone under the bus, that for a team like the Bills who practices situational football and situational awareness, to fail to "execute", you have to believe that something that was intended, didn't occur as expected.

So fans that ask "why?" are fine.  It's those with the "off with their heads", "fire everyone" mentalities that need to follow Josh's example.  You do not make permanent decisions based on temporary emotions.  

McDermott, yes, it’s reactionary and he shouldn’t be fired.  

Frazier, no.. most of us aren’t basing it on one game.  We just hate his philosophy of defense and his side of the ball hasn’t carried its weight in the Playoffs… Three seasons worth:  2019, 2020 & 2021.  

Just now, SCBills said:

Frazier, no.. most of us aren’t basing it on one game.  We just hate his philosophy of defense and his side of the ball hasn’t carried its weight in the Playoffs… Three seasons worth:  2019, 2020 & 2021.  

I stated earlier in another thread that if Frazier cannot adjust his defensive philosophy, he does need to move on.  We've been bounced from the playoffs in each of the past three years with a big piece of that due to his passive defense.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why do you think Frazier's philosophy of defense differs from McDermotts?

So AFTER the TB, ball is on the 25, THIRTEEN seconds left.  From there until the end of the game your blaming the players for their 'execution'??

I beg to differ Sean.  I would dare to say, defensive coaching decisions with 13 seconds left COST US THE GAME Sean

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jkeerie said:

I stated earlier in another thread that if Frazier cannot adjust his defensive philosophy, he does need to move on.  We've been bounced from the playoffs in each of the past three years with a big piece of that due to his passive defense.  

Again - why do you feel that Frazier and McDermott are not aligned in defensive philosophy?

Just now, stosh64 said:

So AFTER the TB, ball is on the 25, THIRTEEN seconds left.  From there until the end of the game your blaming the players for their 'execution'??

I beg to differ Sean.  I would dare to say, defensive coaching decisions with 13 seconds left COST US THE GAME Sean

When Sean says "execution", it's pretty clear he doesn't just mean players because he says "starts with me"

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

we do need more speed, but perhaps mckenzie can be that speed.  a fast back would be nice, but way less important.  a TE2 is a bigger need, and we still need at least one interior lineman.  an OG who can play C would be perf.

Yeah I am not opposed to adding more speed by any means, I was only highlighting the offense scored plenty as built, and the higher priority is to shore up the OL.  

Honestly, I think Devin can be a good full time RB for us if we just commit to him and the run game.  However, I am not opposed at trying to upgrade their either. 

I think there will be a lot of talk of Barkley to the Bills this offseason.  Schoen knows he needs to fix the cap before he can truly fix the roster like Beane did here.  Would not suprise me at all to see Barkley land here in a trade either for draft asset(s) or maybe players and a pick.  Cole an Moss plus a day 3 pick could be something I see happening.  Bills bring back Mckenzie and Hodgins to compete for the slot role and have a backfield of Saquan and Devin.  

Cole becomes a safety blanket for Jones (or whatever QB becomes the starter there) and Moss can compete to start on the cheap.  Allows the Giants cap relief and still put some quality pieces back on the field.  Frees up cap space for us to bring in Saquan and gives a potential upgrade with Devin still here as a safety net if he doesn't get back to his old self or gets hurt again.  Not to mention, Saquan would not need to be over used and run into the ground here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you think Frazier's philosophy of defense differs from McDermotts?

Hope.  Because otherwise I’d begin to worry that McDermott truly won’t be the guy to get us over the top.  

We’ve employed the same style of defense the past 3 years, and every time it’s come up very small in the biggest moments.   

And this is all with Allen on a rookie deal and the ability to spend on a veteran laden DL of guys they wanted.  

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm confused?  You get the ST together & tell them "We're kicking it short/squib kicking it, stay in your lanes".  

How much more could it be?

Exactly.  That is such a critical situation the HC should have his nose in every single aspect of what is going on.  The fact that the coaching staff completely soiled itself on the kickoff and subsequent defensive series is making me more angry the more I think about it.  We even called timeouts and nobody had the common sense to not let Kelce and Hill run free off the line.  Gross

24 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2.5 days in, let me be as objective as possible. 

We are not Josh Allen and there is a reason why the word fan is a diminutive. The ‘13 seconds’ is ALL on the Head Coach to defend the wunderkind performance of his young Superstar QB! 

He failed miserably, both in the Squib Kick option and the setting of the Defense to prevent that FG. The ONLY goal in these efforts is to preserve victory, through the elimination of a very scarce commodity- TIME! Thus, with that small amount left in the game, you must, must eliminate 6-7 seconds through a squib kick, even if the return man gets to the 35 or 40. That leaves ONE and only one attempt to get 30-40 more yards. For that play, you must hold, disrupt, etc. both Kelce & Hill for another 5 seconds.

Please explain how you eliminate 6-7 seconds with a squib kick? I see 1 or 2 at the most before the ref blows his whistle once the receiver immediately gave himself up, which he would have been told to do by the KC coaches. And the chances are really good that the ball would have been fielded in better field position as you pointed out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Doesn't want to talk specifics, but then blame execution. Easy way of throwing the players under the bus for his horrible end game management. Such a weasel move.  

If you are going to make the calls you need to answer to them. Accountability coach, get some. 

How do you ‘apologize’ for having a yellow stripe a mile wide running down your back? I say that fully believing that both McD and Frazier are otherwise very good coaches. 

His brain didn't execute in those 13 seconds. No one on the planet can question his character and love for this team. Clearly his early process/culture goal has been accomplished. He now only has to find a way to stop being so damn stupid in game management decisions. He's got literally one of the greatest qbs in NFL history. Stop making dumb mistakes. Pride yourself on not being dumb. Or else the mafia will have to go all Nancy Kerrigan on Patrick's knee.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

I agree that poor coaching decisions made it easier for KC given what they needed. They had three timeouts remaining and had the entire field to work with as a result. They weren’t confined to the sidelines and could still keep it honest. It’s too bad we didn’t elect to keep it honest as well. 

Even if Bass messed up the kickoff, there is a world of difference between accidentally causing a touchback and letting Kelce get an uncontested 20 yard catch with 8 seconds left. That's on McDermott and he should have taken responsibility for it, especially considering he called a timeout to get his defense aligned exactly how he wanted it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Please explain how you eliminate 6-7 seconds with a squib kick? I see 1 or 2 at the most before the ref blows his whistle once the receiver immediately gave himself up, which he would have been told to do by the KC coaches. And the chances are really good that the ball would have been fielded in better field position as you pointed out. 

Why is everyone obsessed with the squib. That's not the type of kick you use. You kick the high pop up inside the 10 forcing Hardman to at least run it out as far as he can burning 4-5 seconds at the very least. If he Immediately fair catches it on the 10, KC now burns 1-2 seconds and they're pinned way back. No way I risk a squib. 

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again - why do you feel that Frazier and McDermott are not aligned in defensive philosophy?

When Sean says "execution", it's pretty clear he doesn't just mean players because he says "starts with me"

I don't recall when Sean McDermott was defensive coordinator in Carolina, that he played a passive, "prevent" scheme.  I do remember Frazier doing a lot of that in Minnesota.  In his presser, he mentioned "execution" not only as respect to the kickoff in those 13 seconds, but also the defensive plays that followed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mopreme said:

Regardless of the kick which was a serious mistake, the defensive execution during last 13 seconds was gross incompetence by the coaches. McD and or Frazier need to be held

accountable. They lost the game. Not the players.  

Just a question, because imo it was defensive play calling and not so much execution....the entire game Bills D played to prevent KC from getting big plays which they did for most part. 

So why go away from that with 13 secs left and more importantly with 3 time outs? Going with that call allowed KC 2 quick 20+ yard plays 

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

IF you kick it properly, even only to the 15, you are not giving yourself up- there. It’s a time - distance calculation. And the rule is, assuming that’s done properly and not a short Fair Catch FUBAR, the rule is you must give up- by picking the ball up and then falling to the ground.

Meaning? Minimum 3-4 ticks.

Again, the only ally is reduced time to create a Max 2 play situation for the Chiefs!

Kicking without reducing time is virtually 100% incorrect for this situation.

A HC MUST know that, have had the Kicker work on it during the season and execute the plan at exactly the correct game time- which was right then!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I, personally, would like McDermott to do the GoT walk of shame through the city of Buffalo for losing us that game.  

LOL, I had the clip below pictured as I read your post.  Reading some of these hot takes today makes me feel better.

I was so disappointed the last 2 days but it's over for me.  Time to dust myself off and look forward not back.

I guess some fans want McDermott and the coaches holding their playbooks walking through downtown Buffalo like this...........

LOL.

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hope.  Because otherwise I’d begin to worry that McDermott truly won’t be the guy to get us over the top.  

We’ve employed the same style of defense the past 3 years, and every time it’s come up very small in the biggest moments.   

And this is all with Allen on a rookie deal and the ability to spend on a veteran laden DL of guys they wanted.  

We need better pass rushers. We need to apply a more aggressive style of defense then Frazier likes.  If Leslie leaves, which I hope he does, sign Fangio immediately. We should've not only jamed both Kelce & Hill on those 2 plays but we should have doubled them both. Force Pringle or Hardman to beat you. Rush 3, drop 8 dbs. And stop trying to seal the sidelines when you know they have 3 timeouts. 

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Just a question, because imo it was defensive play calling and not so much execution....the entire game Bills D played to prevent KC from getting big plays which they did for most part. 

So why go away from that with 13 secs left and more importantly with 3 time outs? Going with that call allowed KC 2 quick 20+ yard plays 

Because of the lack of TIME, TIME, TIME! 

You must run time off with minimal yard damage. Meaning- hold, swipe, hook, tackle Kelce & Hill to run through 6 seconds.

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

A good pop up or squib kick goes to the 5-10 yard line.  Squibs are often muffed & pop up kicks usually means defense is downfield to defend.

You want to know how many short kicks (to the 5-15 yard line) were returned for TD's in 2021????

0!!!!!!! 

Kicks returned were all line drives for the goal line 98-102 yards.

Bass was so proficient that the Bills were third in Kickoff defense & the longest return was 31 yards.  That would have eaten 7 seconds minimum.  

So let's say Bass does kick it to the 5, best return is to the 36 & 7 seconds off the clock.  That gives them one play to get to the 32 or another 32 yards in 6 seconds.

If an average return they are at the 22-25 yard line and 7-8 seconds left.

The math is simple.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Because of the lack of TIME, TIME, TIME! 

You must run time off with minimal yard damage. Meaning- hold, swipe, hook, tackle Kelce & Hill to run through 6 seconds.

Makes no sense...That's sole reason I pointed out the 3 time outs they had. That's why you keep playing same D. Not to mention who the QB was. They would have likely had minimal yards damage if they stuck with the same Defensive play calling they did entire game. Bills played D to prevent big yardage plays. 

11 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Makes no sense...That's sole reason I pointed out the 3 time outs they had. That's why you keep playing same D. Not to mention who the QB was. They would have likely had minimal yards damage if they stuck with the same Defensive play calling they did entire game. Bills played D to prevent big yardage plays. 

TOs with 13 seconds don’t matter at all!

There are only 3 plays max. That’s why you burn one on the KO and break it down to Max two. Each of which takes about 5 seconds on any Pass play, regardless of whether you Hold- which you must.

This isn’t Quantum Physics! It’s eliminating 13 ticks as creatively as possible.

8 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

TOs with 13 seconds don’t matter at all!

There are only 3 plays max. That’s why you burn one on the KO and break it down to Max two. Each of which takes about 5 seconds on any Pass play, regardless of whether you Hold- which you must.

This isn’t Quantum Physics! It’s eliminating 13 ticks as creatively as possible.

It does matter because they used 2 of them. That's why I said they should have keep with the same D they played all game. That way likely would have kept KC at gaining 8-12 yards in those 2 plays using their time outs  instead of them gaining 20+ yards using time outs. See what I'm saying? 

Instead they changed Defensive play call to prevent and everyone fell too far back thus giving up 2 BIG plays in a row. Entire premise of Bills D was to eliminate KC from making big plays. They picked a hell of a time to go away from that.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

Everything literally everything about my initial reaction Sunday night was because deep down I know the head coach who I personally love and would run thru a brick wall thru myself......a guy that turned everything around with this franchise and has given us the first Bills team in a generation that is a serious contender; may have not only cost us a once in a lifetime chance at a Super Bowl; he may have squandered all that has been accomplished by committing the most egregious coaching meltdown in history.  

A meltdown that cost (for now) Josh Allen and the Bills from becoming THE story in all of sports and Allen as the best QB in the game.  The greatest game ever.  We had it. I have no comp to what happened.  There is none.  

Some of that is there......but it's not like what could have been had we won..

Convince me he recovers from this.  He may very well lose the locker room (MAY).  It's very possible.  This choke will impact everything he does; every game plan, every impact call, all of it.  And it puts him under a different kind of pressure and spotlight now that I absolutely hate that is there.  Even the "all is well don't overreact crowd" knows it.  

I'm still at a loss.  My hope is the team rallies around it.  Does that sound positive enough?  But big changes are coming and a real schedule.  They better move heaven and earth to get better legit better everywhere this off season.  The most important of McDs career.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Everything literally everything about my initial reaction Sunday night was because deep down I know the head coach who I personally love and would run thru a brick wall thru myself......a guy that turned everything around with this franchise and has given us the first Bills team in a generation that is a serious contender; may have not only cost us a once in a lifetime chance at a Super Bowl; he may have squandered all that has been accomplished by committing the most egregious coaching meltdown in history.  

A meltdown that cost (for now) Josh Allen and the Bills from becoming THE story in all of sports and Allen as the best QB in the game.  The greatest game ever.  We had it. I have no comp to what happened.  There is none.  

Some of that is there......but it's not like what could have been had we won..

Convince me he recovers from this.  He may very well lose the locker room (MAY).  It's very possible.  This choke will impact everything he does; every game plan, every impact call, all of it.  And it puts him under a different kind of pressure and spotlight now that I absolutely hate that is there.  Even the "all is well don't overreact crowd" knows it.  

I'm still at a loss.  My hope is the team rallies around it.  Does that sound positive enough?  But big changes are coming and a real schedule.  They better move heaven and earth to get better legit better everywhere this off season.  The most important of McDs career.   

Fabulous post.  100% accurate.  The only positive that will come out of this is if it lights a fire under McBeane and they move heaven and earth to field a team that can’t be denied.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

IF you kick it properly, even only to the 15, you are not giving yourself up- there. It’s a time - distance calculation. And the rule is, assuming that’s done properly and not a short Fair Catch FUBAR, the rule is you must give up- by picking the ball up and then falling to the ground.

Meaning? Minimum 3-4 ticks.

Again, the only ally is reduced time to create a Max 2 play situation for the Chiefs!

Kicking without reducing time is virtually 100% incorrect for this situation.

A HC MUST know that, have had the Kicker work on it during the season and execute the plan at exactly the correct game time- which was right then!

I understand the rule and as soon as the player fields it and stays down, the whistle is blown. I don’t see how that takes a ref 3-4 seconds. And a squib kick from the 35 down to the 15 is one helluva kick; not a sure thing at all. Although I think Bass has the skill to pull it off. 

I agree entirely that the time element is the most critical. And so is the distance they had to travel. McD screwed the pooch by playing defense like KC didn’t have three timeouts. Because they had those timeouts, I was in favor of making them go the max distance possible. I think that would have been best achieved by having them fair catch a kick inside the 10. 

Reasonable minds can disagree on the strategy, but three timeouts was gonna give KC three plays regardless, imo.

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

That's 2 guys adjusting to coverage.  That's their job

Its on the f...ing head coach to decide the most important Special Teams call in Bills history. 

"Pop it up, squibb, or kick deep....what do you want coach??"

You telling me McD said:  "Your call."

Is this what happened?  I didn't listen yet.

I'm sick.  Still sick.   

I need to hear he and he alone made the call.  Not leave it to the ST coach or Bass.  If he left it to the ST coach that's just as bad as McD telling Bass to kick it out.  

If Bass f...ed up Bass needs to say so.  

The whole calling the defensive TO screwed the team. Make them run a play without calling a TO just to get back in the same exact formation. It's harder to adjust on the fly for the O without giving them extra time. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And if we didn't get those 2 points and a FG won it, we'd have second guessing on that point for days - just as we had second-guessing for days on the decision to go for it vs. kick a FG that resulted in the loss to the Titans.

Going for it vs the Titans was the right decision. Running behind the left side of the line was the issue. Josh has like a 90% success rate on 3rd and 4th and short in the red zone as long as he rolls out. The sneak to the Titans best DL player was the wrong call

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A good pop up or squib kick goes to the 5-10 yard line.  Squibs are often muffed & pop up kicks usually means defense is downfield to defend.

You want to know how many short kicks (to the 5-15 yard line) were returned for TD's in 2021????

0!!!!!!! 

Kicks returned were all line drives for the goal line 98-102 yards.

Bass was so proficient that the Bills were third in Kickoff defense & the longest return was 31 yards.  That would have eaten 7 seconds minimum.  

So let's say Bass does kick it to the 5, best return is to the 36 & 7 seconds off the clock.  That gives them one play to get to the 32 or another 32 yards in 6 seconds.

If an average return they are at the 22-25 yard line and 7-8 seconds left.

The math is simple.

That’s why I’ve said several times the right kick would have been a pop up inside the 10 to force them to go the maximum distance. 

There would be no return regardless. KC was also aware of the critical time element. A pop up kick would have been fair caught and a squib fielded and immediately downed which, again, would have burned 1 or 2 seconds max before the ref blew the play dead.

31 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I understand the rule and as soon as the player fields it and stays down, the whistle is blown. I don’t see how that takes a ref 3-4 seconds. And a squib kick from the 35 down to the 15 is one helluva kick; not a sure thing at all. Although I think Bass has the skill to pull it off. 

I agree entirely that the time element is the most critical. And so is the distance they had to travel. McD screwed the pooch by playing defense like KC didn’t have three timeouts. Because they had those timeouts, I was in favor of making them go the max distance possible. I think that would have been best achieved by having them fair catch a kick inside the 10. 

Reasonable minds can disagree on the strategy, but three timeouts was gonna give KC three plays regardless, imo.

The rule is this. 

Rule 7 Section 4 Article 1 (a): How to give yourself up 

An official shall declare dead ball and the down ended:

(a) when a runner declares himself down by falling to the ground and makes no effort to advance.

It takes IMMEDIATE comprehension by the player to scoop up the ball properly, with no bobbling (which they must do in the field of play) and then immediately heading to the ground to show you’re not advancing. IMHO, that will take 3 seconds, for sure. 

That then leaves 10 seconds to go, from say Max- the 30- 35. Only 2 plays left then to get to the Bills 35 minimum. Regardless of the TOs, it simply takes 5-6 seconds to get down the field and hit the ground on a Pass play. 

Here’s one more factor. After FUBARing everything.why didn’t Bills defenders keep Kelce UP for 3 more tix to run it out? THAT is what I was screaming then!

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The rule is this. 

Rule 7 Section 4 Article 1 (a): How to give yourself up 

An official shall declare dead ball and the down ended:

(a) when a runner declares himself down by falling to the ground and makes no effort to advance.

It takes IMMEDIATE comprehension by the player to scoop up the ball properly, with no bobbling (which they must do in the field of play) and then immediately heading to the ground to show you’re not advancing. IMHO, that will take 3 seconds, for sure. 

That then leaves 10 seconds to go, from say Max- the 30- 35. Only 2 plays left then to get to the Bills 35 minimum. Regardless of the TOs, it simply takes 5-6 seconds to get down the field and hit the ground on a Pass play. 

Here’s one more factor. After FUBARing everything.why didn’t Bills defenders keep Kelce UP for 3 more tix to run it out? THAT is what I was screaming then!

Haven’t we all seen numerous fielded squib kicks immediately downed and the play whistled dead in the past? 1-2 seconds, TOPS. IMO, it should have been a pop up with KC fair catching inside the 10. I have nothing else to say on the matter. 

Agree entirely with the defensive calls with 13 seconds to go and KC with timeouts to utilize the entire field. Why McD and Frazier chose not to defend the entire field is beyond me and will leave them open to second guessing about it forever. Given how they screwed the pooch defensively in that situation, I wonder if a different kick, squib or pop up, would have made a difference anyway. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

“ We pride ourselves in detail and being great in situational football.”

That is the biggest kick in the gut right there. Shameful pride. 

Goes to show you that he is not a situational coach, at all.   Andy Reid has every situation addressed and it always shows.  The end of that game was proof of this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.