Questions Surrounding a New Stadium in OP .

T master

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Those attendance figures are just screaming for a dome. Fans aren’t not going because the team stinks or because the tickets are too expensive…it’s the weather! I have no idea why the Bills would toy around with anything other than a simple dome in OP. 

The bills have sold over 50,000 season tickets for a while 

That's not screaming for a dome 

If they sold 10k it would be a sign for a dome

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, T master said:

If your going to win the Super Bowl you need to have a good running game name 1 team in the last 5+ SB's that have won that game by passing only with little to no input from the ground game .

Every team that i remember in recent years that won have had a good or above average running back & running game that they could go to sure Mahomes & the Chiefs won but they had good backs .

Matter of fact one RB won 3 SB's in a row if memory serves me correct Lagarette Blount won 2 with the Pats & 1 with the Eagles .

If the games were played outside like they use to the run game would be even more important but because most are now played inside the passing game becomes more prevalent .

The "Experts" say the running backs are a dime a dozen but like i said name a Super bowl team that didn't have a above average RB that helped them in the regular season & then win the SB .

The passing game isn’t more prevalent now due to games being played indoors. The rules changes ( esp rules changed in the name of player safety ) have made it easier and more advantageous to pass the ball. If the rules hadn’t changed you’d still be seeing 1980’s type passing numbers throughout the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, T master said:

With all the talk of a new stadium coming to OP in the not to distant future and all that comes with it i was wondering a couple of things about the build .

I watched a piece on Buffalo Bills .com that showed the room that controls the big screens at the field now & seeing the recent renovations at the stadium was wondering if any of that newer equipment might be taken from the old stadium & used in the new one to off set some of the pricing of the new build or will they just junk that & go with all brand new in the box stuff ?

I know that the things that have been there for the entirety or the life of the stadium will be tossed but i would think that there may be some things that could do the same job especially if it is newer equipment but knowing how today's world works with tech changing so fast i'm not real sure if it will be used.

The stadium now has the 2 big screens at the one end of the field and they were recently upgraded couldn't they be used ? Then there may be some of the vendors equipment that if not very old that could be moved to the new stadium like the lights that keep food warm & such .

Then there are things like the goal posts & other stuff used to put on the on field presentation and the benches with the helmet warmers & all that kind of stuff .

I know there will be those that say that this is a brand new stadium & would want all brand new gear to go with it but was just wondering if this is even a consideration at all to possibly curb a small amount of the over all cost rather than just demoing the entire thing & putting it in a land fill ...

My first question would be how many more threads will be started on this very same topic. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

I guess,being the outdoorsman survivalist type of guy, you enjoy single digit temps with 40mph gusts . Those of us with a preference for more moderate conditions, might opt in favor of watching from home. BTW, woman and kids usually favor perfect conditions. 

Outdoorsman survivalist?  Hardly.   I’m just a football fan who knows the roots of the game are outdoors and the weather at game time is the weather at game time.  

Those of you with a preference for moderate conditions should watch at home because that’s the experience you seem to want.   Indoors and perfect.  Nothing wrong with that.  I get it.  Other people will go the game.

On 1/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, SoCal Deek said:

If the State of NY along with the Owner can’t pool their collective resources to construct a simple dome stadium on property they already own and with virtually no additional infrastructure costs to bear…there’s really something WRONG!

NYS DOL Prevailing Wage requirement for public construction means double the labor cost of many other states

Edited by wakingfane

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills have sold over 50,000 season tickets for a while 

That's not screaming for a dome 

If they sold 10k it would be a sign for a dome

I disagree. You’re using the wrong measuring stick.  If they aren’t going to sell out when the team has now repeatedly made the playoffs, was a preseason super bowl favorite and has a young franchise QB, then it’s clearly something else that’s making people stay home. It’s not the ticket prices. They’re the lowest in the league. I’m guessing it’s not the disappearance of the Jills. It’s the weather conditions. The goal of Ownership is to fill seats. The dome is the answer. No brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

Outdoorsman survivalist?  Hardly.   I’m just a football fan who knows the roots of the game are outdoors and the weather at game time is the weather at game time.  

Those of you with a preference for moderate conditions should watch at home because that’s the experience you seem to want.   Indoors and perfect.  Nothing wrong with that.  I get it.  Other people will go the game.

I guess that's why their selling tickets to the final home game, where the division is at stake, for $8.00. I get it, you're a purist, but a dome is perfect to create a home field advantage like no other. Look at how they rock New Orleans, Vegas and LA. Buffalo, with lake effect snow and wind conditions, is not ideal for the entertainment value of January football. 

• Like (+1) 1

The pegulas undoubtedly don’t want to spend an additional $400M for a clear covering. NYS likely have a one single figure help in mind. 

I get that pegs do not want invest extra $. It’s like giving away a % of their inheritance.  

ROI needs to factor in player FA, 50 yrs, minors, women and rough weather 18 wks thru January. $9 tix not cutting it today

….btw, this board’s demographic is not filled with players, women, minors. 

Edited by Since1981

9 hours ago, purple haze said:

Why are the state of the art stadiums, that are all in warm weather sights(LA, Vegas,) all domes. Why not us? The perfect conditions are conducive to our wide open, vertical passing offense, with one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in football. 

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Why are the state of the art stadiums, that are all in warm weather sights(LA, Vegas,) all domes. Why not us? The perfect conditions are conducive to our wide open, vertical passing offense, with one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in football. 

For LV in particular few would attend game without a dome since temperature is so hot there.  Same with Arizona. 

Just now, Limeaid said:

For LV in particular few would attend game without a dome since temperature is so hot there.  Same with Arizona. 

Understood,but couldn't the same be said for the games here in January if there's a lake effect snowstorm. I have lived in Arizona, and most games from October's on are just fine. Same situation in LA and Vegas. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Arizona had an open air stadium for a long time.

As for Buffalo, if we had went through with the original dome plans in 1971 then I don’t think this would even be a discussion.

Generations would have grown up going to games in a dome and the next stadium would also be a dome.

But because Ralph was pigheaded and derailed the dome plan that was already set up in place and ready to build, we now have generations of fans who are used to open air.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I disagree. You’re using the wrong measuring stick.  If they aren’t going to sell out when the team has now repeatedly made the playoffs, was a preseason super bowl favorite and has a young franchise QB, then it’s clearly something else that’s making people stay home. It’s not the ticket prices. They’re the lowest in the league. I’m guessing it’s not the disappearance of the Jills. It’s the weather conditions. The goal of Ownership is to fill seats. The dome is the answer. No brainer.

Covid related restrictions/requirements is my answer.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Covid related restrictions/requirements is my answer.

I disagree. It had no effect on games earlier in the season. I personally think a lot has to do with how many season ticket holders are not from WNY. IMO the Bills best plan would to be to only season tickets to those within a 2 hour drive of the stadium. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I disagree. It had no effect on games earlier in the season. I personally think a lot has to do with how many season ticket holders are not from WNY. IMO the Bills best plan would to be to only season tickets to those within a 2 hour drive of the stadium. 

Your comments conflict with one another.

Those Bills fans not from WNY--where do you think a lot come from?  Canada.

It was illegal for Canadians to cross the border for a while, and there are still restrictions/requirements in place that probably make a lot of people say "sell the tickets."

Crap weather in WNY is nothing new.  The only thing that's new is all this dome talk.

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Your comments conflict with one another.

Those Bills fans not from WNY--where do you think a lot come from?  Canada.

It was illegal for Canadians to cross the border for a while, and there are still restrictions/requirements in place that probably make a lot of people say "sell the tickets."

Crap weather in WNY is nothing new.  The only thing that's new is all this dome talk.

If you read the second part I did say those within 2 hour driving distance is ideal. Canada would then count. 

Crap weather has always been an issue. For some reason season ticket holders complain when there is too many home games in November and December. 

One thing I would love to see is the Bills revoke tickets to anyone who sells more games then they attend. 

On 1/7/2022 at 2:40 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Just read Hochoul confirmed it’s OP and it’s going to be open air and not a dome. Reportedly both the Pegulas and Hochoul don’t want a dome 

Im assuming it gets demolished. 

If they can design it in a way to minimize wind that would work. I would still consider heating options for when it gets cold in the winter.

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The goal of the Buffalo Bills is to sell tickets

And they still are in the top half in the NFL of tickets sold   

If They were selling 30-40,000 tickets a dome might make sense financially.. but they're selling 67,000 tickets.. a few thousand people not showing up in the corners is normal

That's normal across the NFL and those couple thousand tickets aren't enough to bring a dome.. thing is the revenue isn't much in ticket sales these days 

A few thousand more butts in the seats isn't financially enough of a gap to build the dome 

The bills average tickets sold is over 68,000 this season ... Upper and lower bowl hold 69,000 .. 2k in suites 

Edited by Buffalo716

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If They were selling 30-40,000 tickets a dome might make sense financially.. but they're selling 67,000 tickets.. a few thousand people not showing up in the corners is normal

That’s not normal.

Corners are full in warm months.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That’s not normal.

Corners are full in warm months.

My point.. the corners are not full in most cold cities at the end of the year

But the tickets are still sold in buffalo

The bills sell the tickets, it's not like they're not sold.. if they were only selling 40,000 tickets it would be a problem

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

My point.. the corners are not full in most cold cities at the end of the year

But the tickets are still sold 

The bills sell the tickets it's not like they're not sold

I don’t know where you get this idea of the corners not being full in cold stadiums.

Im watching the Ravens game and their corners are packed. Patriot games have packed corners too. I guess you could say the Jets corners aren’t full, but that’s also because they suck.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know where you get this idea of the corners not being full in cold stadiums.

Im watching the Ravens game and their corners are packed. Patriot games have packed corners too. I guess you could say the Jets corners aren’t full, but that’s also because they suck.

Green Bay only has 95% attendance according to the NFL ..  Giants 90© , jets 87%... Pitt 87%.. Cincinnati 92%

They Sell their tickets but they have a few thousand people not show up every day according to the NFL 

Bills are right there at 95%

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Green Bay only has 95% attendance according to the NFL ..  Giants 90© , jets 87%... Pitt 87%.. Cincinnati 92%

They Sell their tickets but they have a few thousand people not show up every day according to the NFL 

Bills are right there at 95%

You can’t look at whole year stats - those include warm games.

For example - Bills/Miami in October when it was still somewhat warm, had nearly 98% attendance.

Last week against Atlanta, when it was cold, was barely over 90%.

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You can’t look at whole year stats - those include warm games.

For example - Bills/Miami in October when it was still somewhat warm, had nearly 98% attendance.

Last week against Atlanta, when it was cold, was barely over 90%.

64,948 attendance 

There's only 69,000 seats in the bowls.. 

That's a couple thousand people and that's not a big enough reason to build a dome.. 49,000 attendance would be scary if that was happening consistently 

65,000 is not a bad crowd

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

64,948 attendance 

There's only 69,000 seats in the bowls.. 

That's a couple thousand people and that's not a big enough reason to build a dome.. 49,000 attendance would be scary if that was happening consistently 

65,000 is not a bad crowd

Completely disagree.

There are over 71k seats. They barely broke 90%.

PS, Packers had 97% for a 18 degree game against the Vikings last week.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Completely disagree.

There are over 71k seats. They barely broke 90%.

PS, Packers had 97% for a 18 degree game against the Vikings last week.

The Packers are sitting at the same percentage as the bills basically

It's the only thing you could judge it on

And there are 69,000 seats in the bowls and 2000 suites 

So put a thousand people in the suites.. putting 63948 in the bowl.. 5 k off full

Edited by Buffalo716

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So put a thousand people in the suites.. putting 63948 in the bowl.. 5 k off full

Again, you’re mixing warm game stats and cold game stats.

Cant do that.

Bills are 97+% in warm games and barely above 90% in cold games.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Again, you’re mixing warm game stats and cold game stats.

Cant do that.

Bills are 97+% in warm games and barely above 90% in cold games.

I don't think that difference is big enough to build a dome

If the bills were at 75 or 80% maybe

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Original stadium was blocking wind but due to some problems the stadium needed to be rotated which caused current issues.

I think the Bills could have put up an outside wall to reduce the issue but they treated it as "home field advantage" that their players could adjust to.

That has proven false 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, HamptonBillsfan said:

Just curious, did government decision makers poll Buffalo and Suburban residents as to their preference regarding a dome. This is small market thinking at its best. Deny western NY a new stadium for decades opting in favor of refurbishment, and then go cheap in the most horrific weather location in the country. Did they consider the corporate preferences considering their boxes will represent a good % of revenue. This team, with an elite QB, and great receivers, along with a defense with speed would benefit from perfect conditions. Fans would flock to a state of the art, ultramodern retractable roof stadium. Speaking for  myself, coming from LI, I would make a family tradition out of seeing a high leverage Dec game or playoff,  an annual. 

Makes no sense to poll residents who don't go to games.  The Bills did poll season ticket holders, in other words, those whose opinions matter. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Understood,but couldn't the same be said for the games here in January if there's a lake effect snowstorm. I have lived in Arizona, and most games from October's on are just fine. Same situation in LA and Vegas. 

You can dress for the cold.  Nothing at all you can do about the heat. Butt naked you’d still be hot.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's all well and good with what the ticket prices are today. Will the stadium be full when the new stadium comes and tickets are much higher in price? There is no way they stay in the bottom quarter of teams in terms of ticket price. The days of tickets costing less then $100 are over. 

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

That's all well and good with what the ticket prices are today. Will the stadium be full when the new stadium comes and tickets are much higher in price? There is no way they stay in the bottom quarter of teams in terms of ticket price. The days of tickets costing less then $100 are over. 

It's going to be 60,000 capacity stadium 

Which seems to fit perfectly with how many come weekly

Build it for increased noise and our 60,000 will sound like lunatics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.