Giants GM Dave Gettleman to retire on Monday

Greg S

(13) Chris Moore on Twitter: "I can confirm what has widely been speculated regarding Dave Gettleman, he will retire on Monday." / Twitter

It will be interesting to see who they hire as GM and if Mara forces them to work with Judge. They are a bigger **** show then the Jets. Also reported on WFAN. 

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Horrendous GM for the Giants. Just unspeakably poor. Should have been fired immediately after drafting a running back second overall. The compensation he could have received by trading down in that draft would have been astronomical. 

well we can thank him and Elway for Josh falling to 7.  

• Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Giants' new regime declines Daniel Jones'  5th year option and lets him walk he might be a good replacement for Trubisky if Mitch moves on.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

If the Giants' new regime declines Daniel Jones'  5th year option and let him walk he might be a good replacement for Trubiski if Mitch moves on.  

I think Jones still has hopes for being a starter in this league. In his defense the Giants OL is garbage.

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Horrendous GM for the Giants. Just unspeakably poor. Should have been fired immediately after drafting a running back second overall. The compensation he could have received by trading down in that draft would have been astronomical. 

When they took Barkely at No. 2, I was like "OMG. I can't believe that. How clueless are these football people?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

When they took Barkely at No. 2, I was like "OMG. I can't believe that. How clueless are these football people?"

Yeah, that move rivaled the draft day stupidity of Rich Kotite and Marv Levy.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

This is probably Belichick's last chance at his dream job.

Do you think that he would accept the job if offered?

20 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The initial mistake was putting Eli back in after fans got upset he was benched. That told us they had a meddling owner. That decision caused them to go RB the following year and then reach for Jones the following year. It was a domino effect.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, that move rivaled the draft day stupidity of Rich Kotite and Marv Levy.

Bill is what 69,70?. Maybe if he were younger but now I don't know. Probably wants to win one with Jones before retiring. Honestly how much longer do you think he will coach?

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And then took Daniel Jones and DeAndre Baker in the first round in the next draft 😂

18 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I'd offer him "a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog" to stay another year. 😄

Walk fast.  All Kelvin Benjamin had to do was a light jog, and Gettleman probably would have been pushing up daisies instead of hectoring players over stealing food. 🤨

1 minute ago, uninja said:

And then took Daniel Jones and DeAndre Baker in the first round in the next draft 😂

These are good examples of why it is kind of idiotic for people to repeat the mantra: "Take the best man available" in the draft.

It assumes you have an accurate master list of all the players and their ranking.  You don't! 

Who the hell knows who the best player is?  Not these NFL teams doing the drafting! 

Look at the shenanigans we pulled and the assets BURNED to move way up in the draft and get Sammy Watkins when much better receivers were available for much less lower in the draft.

We clearly had no idea who the best man available was.  

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can't imagine BB switching his life up like that at his current age and with his current legacy in NE...

He's obviously an enormously ambitious workaholic (as all these NFL HCs are), but...

20 years ago?  He might well make that move.  Now?  

I assume he is winding down and will retire with the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think Jones still has hopes for being a starter in this league. In his defense the Giants OL is garbage.

No chance.  There are around 30 other QBs in the league I'd take over Jones, and some of them are backups.  He has arm talent, and is a good athlete, but he just doesnt have what it takes to be a franchise QB, Oline or not.    The guy is responsible for an average of 1.75 turnovers a game since he came into the league.   You cant win like that when you arent scoring enough to make up for it.   Long term maybe he becomes a Tannehill type, but I think its more likely he ends up as a career backup. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I'd offer him "a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog" to stay another year. 😄

Be open with it, don't hide your dislike for the kid!!  😄

All jokes aside, I don't think Jones is all that bad...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.