*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And so it begins...

If the Browns can get a haul for Mayfield, I'd ship him without question.

Their offense revolves around the running game.  I believe they could get similar production from Jimmy Garoppolo without having to break the bank and also not having to tie their hands for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people continuously ONLY state passing production when discussing running QBs?  You know that’s short sighted and skewed to just try and confirm your negative opinion of him.

Lamar’s ground game is 100% part of what you get with him, ignoring it or disregarding that production is a completely inaccurate way to evaluate his value to his team.

To say Huntley is flat out better at this stage like you did in the post before that seems extreme and not based on known facts yet.  

Personally, I don’t think Lamar is going anywhere and will get a long term deal to stay in Baltimore.  Mayfield is not so clear and somethings gonna likely change there between Baker, HC, or GM.  I have a suspicion that not all 3 will be back next year the way it is now, seems like something is gonna give.

Well said.   It's especially ironic given that many of those same posters discounting Jackson's running ability lionize Allen for his.  I think it's spelled H-0-M-E-R.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He definitely has two outstanding young receivers. I think Tee Higgins is a #1 and Chase clearly is a #1. He has two more years at least throwing to that pair. I have to say I have a knock on Herbert's fundamentals. I think his gets loose with his release and his footwork too often for my tastes. I'd go Mahomes #1, Allen #2, Burrow #3.

Yeah I agree on that, it’s definitely a fair criticism of Hebert and I have no issue putting Burrow at 3 instead even though I would personally narrowly go Herbert at 3 just more because he has some ability with his legs too.  

Tee Higgins has really blossomed this year for sure, and I also think he is a #1 WR too even though I think Chase is the better of the two.  But it’s not a wide gap by any means and Higgins would be the best WR on a lot of teams in the league right now himself.  

I liked Higgins in the draft when so many here were knocking him.  If memory serves me, I believe you liked him too.  I was comfortable if the Bills would have taken him in the first with their pick had they made that pick.  I was also high on Justin Jefferson too despite a lot of people not wanting him.  JJ was my target at 22, Higgins was my second choice.  I was not high on Ruggs and didn’t get why so many were.  But I did expect Juedy, Lamb and Ruggs to all be gone before our pick too.

Of course, I loved the Diggs trade both then and now still, and would still make the trade for Diggs as I fully believe his experience along with his talent played a big role in Allens ascension.  And his contract is still a tremendous value.  But had we not made the trade, I was good landing either of those guys that draft. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people continuously ONLY state passing production when discussing running QBs?  You know that’s short sighted and skewed to just try and confirm your negative opinion of him.

Lamar’s ground game is 100% part of what you get with him, ignoring it or disregarding that production is a completely inaccurate way to evaluate his value to his team.

To say Huntley is flat out better at this stage like you did in the post before that seems extreme and not based on known facts yet.  

Personally, I don’t think Lamar is going anywhere and will get a long term deal to stay in Baltimore.  Mayfield is not so clear and somethings gonna likely change there between Baker, HC, or GM.  I have a suspicion that not all 3 will be back next year the way it is now, seems like something is gonna give.

I totally agree with your take on Lamar.  The bottom line is that he wins games. This is the only statistic that matters.

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, stuvian said:

If the Ravens don't sign Lamar, they're Chicago Bears level stupid. He has carried that team on his back to the point of absurdity.

The Browns should release Baker. He's not a fit for their offense. Baker should go to the Saints and insert himself as Drew Brees 2.0. Not saying he's as good as Brees but he's a better fit for their fast break turf offense.

So the question becomes what should the Browns do at QB. They need an arm who can compliment the power run game and play well in the cold.

As this QB draft appears weak, we look to the FA market. Even throwing in the kitchen sink I don't see Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson going there.

They could entice Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins or opt for Deshaun Watson pending the legal issues. They'll need an experienced back up who can carry the team for a few games like Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor or Joe Flacco.

Agree on Lamar. I think the Browns should look for Ryan Tannehill 2.0...

Maybe Marcus Mariota would do well executing a ground and pound, RPO, play action offense?

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Oh my goodness. Allen's statistics speak for themselves. He has historically great statistics for the first 4 years of a QB's career.

This take is just laughable and wrong on so many levels. You really are blind to the reality.

What experts are saying anything besides the fact that Allen is an elite QB?

What experts? Tell me. Give me examples.

The players and coaches that determine who is a probowl player, they certainly qualify as experts.

They determined that Josh Allen is not one of the top 3 QB's in the AFC conference this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The players and coaches that determine who is a probowl player, they certainly qualify as experts.

They determined that Josh Allen is not one of the top 3 QB's in the AFC conference this year.

Well you're definitely not in the top 1,295,367 posters on TBD...

• Haha (+1) 5

Herbert has 1 more passing TD than Allen, one less Interception, and two less total TDs than Allen. 

The Bills offense averages 28.5 ppg, the Chargers average 27.6 ppg. 

So if Herbert is the gold standard, he's better on passing yardage, completion percentage, but Allen means just as much to this offense and is a better runner. 

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One thing I have always respected about Baker is he tells you like it is and doesn’t pull punches.  Applaud him for calling out the medias flimsy stories all the time

Or, he could just play better and not have to be in spats with the media all the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Pro Bowl voting is your answer? Wow.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

January in Berea!

You and a couple others here might be better plugged-in, but my impression of Mary Kay Cabot is that she’s generally well respected and “plugged in” with Browns sources.

The story she wrote is here:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/01/browns-qb-baker-mayfield-must-resolve-his-differences-with-kevin-stefanski-soon-in-case-they-need-to-co-exist-next-season-mary-kay-cabot.html

(It’s subscriber-only but one can log in for 1 free story)

She gives quotes from Baker on 2 occasions and from Stefanski to bolster the contention that they aren’t on the same page.

Mayfield publicly criticized the playcalling on at least two occasions, saying after the 24-22 victory over the Ravens that the calls “got too conservative” and after the 26-14 loss to the Steelers that rookie right tackle James Hudson III wasn’t given enough chipping help against T.J. Watt

Mayfield lamented the lack of in-game adjustments to the Steelers’ pressure.

“This is the NFL,” he said. “You have to be able to adapt midgame and we didn’t do a good enough job as you could tell.”

I’ve never heard Allen say anything like that.  He’s always “I need to find a few more completions….I can’t put the ball in harm’s way like that” - it’s only very recently in a couple of pressers that I’ve heard him say “we”….and it’s followed with “and that starts with me.”  Likewise I’ve never heard McDermott or Daboll say anything like this about Josh Allen:

Asked Wednesday about his relationship with Mayfield, Stefanski said “in terms of relationship with any of the players, it’s something we always as coaches work on and try to challenge our guys and support our guys, so I feel no different with Baker.

It’s always “I have full confidence in Josh” or “I believe in Josh, that’ll never change” after the Falcons game with the two tipped picks “he’s going to have days like that”

It’s hard to know what her sources were for some of the other stuff, like “Mayfield’s issues with Stefanski bubbled below the surface most of the season, with Mayfield feeling like Stefanski’s playcalling didn’t always put him in position to succeed or play to his strengths, sources told cleveland.com” or “If Mayfield doesn’t get reassurance that things will change next season, he’ll consider asking to be traded. He’s under contract for $18.858 million in his fifth-year option year” but Mayfield specifically saying “I’m not your puppet”  seems to imply that he or someone close to him in fact said stuff to Cabot, but doesn’t agree with how it was interpreted or the way the story was put together - maybe he thinks the context was misrepresented or something.

But it seemed pretty straightforward that Mayfield did very well with the play-action bootlegs that were a mainstay last year, and didn’t seem as comfortable with some of the playcalling this season, and he has said some stuff publicly which Cabot quoted.

It doesn’t seem like a “fair call” to say she has no sources or facts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

i've seen 3 former players in the last 3 weeks put out top 5 qb lists that all have Allen in it. Not top 5 in the conference. Top 5 in the NFL.

Saturday, Scott, and Clark. Meanwhile Orvlosky said he'd be 5B to Burrows 5A... see how that works. thats actual names behind my claims. or maybe they're just bills homers too?

as a sidenote i've also seen 2 different analysts say it was a complete joke that Jackson got in over Allen.... Becaust thats what it was. A complete joke.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.